deer hooves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deer hooves

My wife and i process deer in missouri ,and we are interested in finding uses for all parts of the deer ,the heads i donate to our wild bird sanctuary the hides i have a fella who buys them, the bones are donated to people who dont feed there dogs dry or store bought dog food,but prefer to feed them meat and bones and some of the bones i burn and crush and use it for calcium for certain plants ,the hooves i have dried the legs and made shelf hangers for our shop but i would like to find people who have other uses for them ,and may also need other parts,if any one is interested in deer parts please email me

thank you jerry

Originally posted by Jerry pemberton View Post
    My wife and i process deer in missouri ,and we are interested in finding uses for all parts of the deer ,the heads i donate to our wild bird sanctuary the hides i have a fella who buys them, the bones are donated to people who dont feed there dogs dry or store bought dog food,but prefer to feed them meat and bones and some of the bones i burn and crush and use it for calcium for certain plants ,the hooves i have dried the legs and made shelf hangers for our shop but i would like to find people who have other uses for them ,and may also need other parts,if any one is interested in deer parts please email me

thank you jerry
    mmm... do u have the legs attached to the hooves. I have seen people use it as a gun rack or a whip just tie leather at the end of the hooves.

Comment

The hooves or deer toes and dew claws are used for rattles.....you might see if folks are interested in those. When our sons wanted deer toe leg rattles we went to the local meat processor and he gave us a bunch of legs to pull the toes and dew claws off of and then return the legs back to him (for what reason I don't know???), but we were able to make all the boys deer toe leg rattles. After pulling them we polished them up, drilled holes in them and made the leg rattles. They all came out real nice. It's a little work, but well worth the effort.
      Last edited by NancyJo; 09-22-2010, 09:54 AM.

Comment

deer hooves

Originally posted by short apache girl View Post
        mmm... do u have the legs attached to the hooves. I have seen people use it as a gun rack or a whip just tie leather at the end of the hooves.
        i actually have made some gun racks, as far as the legs go yes most of the time they are attached i am going to try to pull off most of the hooves and dry them, but i have also used the bones ,i shatter or grind the leg bone down to make atlatl dart points sometimes.
        Last edited by Jerry pemberton; 09-22-2010, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NancyJo View Post
          The hooves or deer toes and dew claws are used for rattles.....you might see if folks are interested in those. When our sons wanted deer toe leg rattles we went to the local meat processor and he gave us a bunch of legs to pull the toes and dew claws off of and then return the legs back to him (for what reason I don't know???), but we were able to make all the boys deer toe leg rattles. After pulling them we polished them up, drilled holes in them and made the leg rattles. They all came out real nice. It's a little work, but well worth the effort.
          i am going to remove them than dry them but we may do over 150 deer thats why i was wondering how big of an interest in these there is the hooves are about the only thing i dont know where to go with my goal is to make or find a use for every part of this animal . thank you for the info ,i would love to know why he wanted the legs back?

Comment

Yeah, me, too!!! Was kind of strange to take back all those deer legs......with no hooves (toes) on them!!! Maybe they grind them up for animal feed???? Not sure. But hey, if you need any advise on how to remove the toes and polish them, give me a shout.........I'll be glad to tell you how we did it.
            Laterz!

Comment

Originally posted by NancyJo View Post
              Yeah, me, too!!! Was kind of strange to take back all those deer legs......with no hooves (toes) on them!!! Maybe they grind them up for animal feed???? Not sure. But hey, if you need any advise on how to remove the toes and polish them, give me a shout.........I'll be glad to tell you how we did it.
              Laterz!
              thank you and i probably will

Comment

Here's my directions for a Hoof Bag:

On the lower leg, what you would do is slit it down on the front of the leg NOT on the back side between the dew claws. Then just skin it out clear around - all the way down to the hoof.

To make a "hoof bag" all 4 leg pieces thusly skinned are sewn together on the sides, then on the bottom as well while still "raw". It's stuffed with newspaper or whatever to hold its shape while drying. A lining is added along with a border at the top, and a flap and a strap to make a purse-like bag.

It can be shaped to kind of have the dew claws act as "legs" of the bag to rest on, or not.
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

thank you i have made many things from animal parts and i am always interested in hearing about new ideas

jerry

Comment

Traditionally hoof bags are made from elk hooves, but my ex-father-in-law who was an avid hunter, had bags hanging in his house made from all sorts of big game. He tanned each hide himself and made a bag from each: Moose, Elk, Bighorn Sheep, Mule Deer, and Pronghorn. He even beaded them himself.

I wish I had thought to take some pics before he passed away and they were scattered to the wind.
                    ...it is what it is...

Comment

i understand completely i am now taking more pictures of things ,before i did not think it was important and missed alot of my grandfathers wood work some i still have,but most is lost and no one will never now what a craftsman he was.

Jerry

Comment

what did you use to polish the deer toes

Comment

When I pull toes, I boil the entire leg and pry off the toes with a flat head screwdriver. After this, I let the toes soak over night in soapy water(Dawn detergent works great). Then rinse and let dry. For me, the boiling leads them to be pretty shiny and clean. No polishing needed.

Comment

After we had pulled the toes and dried them, we used a potato sack (the kind that is like netting) and put shredded newpaper in the sack with the deer toes and run it through the dryer for about 20 minutes. They polish up real nice that way. Then drill the holes in the hooves (this takes a little time and patience, but well worth the effort).

Comment

If you are going to pop the toes and few claws off don't let them dry out too much. They only need to be in boiling water a few minutes before you pop the toes off and a flat head screwdriver is the best tool. The front lower leg bone is used by some as feather sockets on old school elk antler spreaders.it has to be carved and shapes down though.
                              PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.