Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bustle help?

Tansi,

My mom has been making jingle dresses, grass dance and fancy for a several years. She used to do moccasins and mukluks and beading but her hands are arthritic. She has never made the bustles and has been asked by a local youth to make one. She is currently working on it. I thought I would try here and meld today's technology with yesterday's traditions! I was wondering if anyone had any tips or patterns I could pass on.

Meegwetch

Which style of bustle is she building???
    The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
    -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

good question!

Sorry about that, she is making a Men's Fancy

Comment

Look in the Fancy Feather forum. There's a Bustle Construction thread there. It will get you going on the feathers anyway. The part about the bases isn't there yet.
        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Re: good question!

Originally posted by riotgirl007
          Sorry about that, she is making a Men's Fancy
          WOW....

Nothing like starting with the HARDEST and most tedious of the bustle styles to construct. Can't say I'd suggest anyone build a fancy bustle as my first bustle, but........

A friend of mine helped with a book on Fancy Dance. Have the Young person buy that book. It was written by Rex Reddick, C. Scott Evans, and Sandy Rhoades and published by Crazy Crow Trading Post. It'll be the best $10-$15 he'll ever spend if he's interested in Fancy Dancing. There are some GREAT construction instructions in that book for everything from bustles to rockers to moccasins. Full Circle also has an excellent video (made by Sandy Rhoades) on Fancy Dance. It was made about 2 or 3 yrs ago, so the information is pretty current.

Good luck to him!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X