shell casings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shell casings?

has anyone here ever tried using shell casings as part of regalia? I mean like beads? Just a thought. There are a lot of rifle shell casings around here and I am trying to think of a use for them.

I know someone that used casings to make his breastplate. I like it a lot, but since his is the only one I have ever seen and we dance at several dances together, out of respect for him I won't make one for myself.
    The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
    -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

Re: shell casings?

Originally posted by Caroline
      has anyone here ever tried using shell casings

I used shell casings on the bottom tabs of a southern buckskin dress. I strung them with smaller .22s and brass and glass beads.

Tara

Comment

I use large caliber shell casings for sewing needle cases! Easy to close with any wood or anlter plug, then decorate by adding a pouch with retaining straps that hold 6 shells and the spools of thread and scissors. Make it folding with velcro up the sides and this way you can wear it as a travelling sewing kit. You can decorate them with your favorite beadwork pattern on the outside then so it has a personal touch. For one woman I engraved the shell casings with her logo and then she painted them in relief. So far I have sold nearly a hundred of these finished sewing kits.

Then for the people that play cribbage, the board can be made of antler and the pins for scoring can be stored inside shell casings too. I drilled a hole into the antler to fit the shell casing and behind that are the loose pins for scoring. The pins fit into small drilled holes in the antler with a black matt paint outlining the trail of points. These can sell between 250.- and up to about 450.- depending on the size of the antler and the decorations you add!

For small caliber shells you can make bracelets! Drill holes sideways again and connect together. 25.- to 50.-

Oh and a real easy project is to drill holes sideways through shell casings and make belts out of the shells, then near the buckle area add a strip of leather on each side to attach them together. aThis way you can really clean up those casings and yes easily get 50.- to 100.- depending on the buckle you choose to go with it!
        Last edited by Tibiki Kinew; 10-22-2003, 07:05 AM.
        Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
        Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

These are such creative ideas!
          Spottedeagle, that breastplate must be stunning! I am thinking that if the brass was kept polished, the casings would really add some shine to an outfit. I was thinking of doing a combination of hairpipe and casings for a little boy's breastplate. I will have to think more about it.
          Tara, your tabs look great! Do the casings add a lot of weight to the dress? I am working on a fully beaded northern tradish top that is going to be quite heavy. I think the 22 shell casing might look good somewhere on the fringes.
          TK I love the sewing kit idea. Maybe I will find some time to make a couple for Christmas gifts.

thank you for sharing your ideas!

Comment

Here is a pic of my sewing bag! See what you all think!:D
            Attached Files
            Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.

Comment

For you teddy bear collectors! I have teddy in armour!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline
                Do the casings add a lot of weight to the dress? I am working on a fully beaded northern tradish top that is going to be quite heavy. I think the 22 shell casing might look good somewhere on the fringes.
                Caroline, I dont think the .22's add much weight, the rifle cartridges are pretty heavy though, all together with the solid brass beads it does add weight to the tabs. The dress is heavy elkhide, so relatively speaking it doesnt add much weight overall.

Tibiki, the needle case idea is awesome, especially if you could somehow engrave the needle size on the outside of the casing. I know I'm always looking for a better way to store needles for traveling. I started saving my old clear mechanical pencil-lead containers, but still havent gotten to organizing them.

Another thing I used .22s for was a necklace I made for my grandmother, who was out with us one day at backyard target practice, she was so cute and had so much fun, I picked up the shells she'd shot, and made the necklace for her, I had groups of three shells dangling around the necklace, and strung seed beads inside with a brass 'rice' bead at the end, so each one was like a little bell. Then she had a story for all her friends that she's shot the shells from the necklace she was wearing. :)

Tara

Comment

Use the dremel and a small thin grinding wheel and you can engrave the casing with the needle size, sorry that I didn't pass that on as well. The plugs I use are made of bone or antler with small feather tips carved on them. Also depending how good you are with a dremel you can engrave a feather lengthwise on one side of the casing, that gives it an added personal touch. Make sure though that the plugs fit firmly and don't fall out. I also use shotgun shells with the top cut off for holding other small items, such as sewing pins. Shotgun shells I cover with a bit of hide and a little amount of beadwork, the cap for that I make out of cedar. That can be covered with a small animal either burnt into it or carved in 3d up on top.

As far as necklaces go, you can use any caliber, drill two holes through the casing and space glass beads between, if you want a curve to be in it add more beads on the bottom, example one on top and three down below between casings, they get snapped up a lot, specially with red and black glass beads. I tried all colors even glow in the dark which comes in second!!

Oh and before I forget, I made a dream catcher chime with 303 casings, gave it to one of the hunters as a thankyou for giving me meat!

Oh and if you ever get a small pocket knife that is falling apart, take a small blade from it, mount it between two small pices of bone and slide it into a shell casing and you now have a small desktop knife for opening letters,, gets a lot of looks when you have them on a table. Sold a few already too!
                  Last edited by Tibiki Kinew; 10-23-2003, 06:37 AM.

Comment

I use the shell casings with my bells for straight dance and I mix them with deer toes. It sounds great and looks just as nice as well.

Comment

There is a lady that sometimes have been down here that uses it for her breastplate to her southern cloth dress, I have it in my facebook album, hope this link worksLogin | Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by spottedeagle View Post
                        I know someone that used casings to make his breastplate.
                        Me, too.

If I recall, they were .308 casings. Brass.

HEAVY.

But, he's a big guy...

Comment

If I recall correctly, some states consider any part/component of the ammunition to still be ammunition. Washington DC and Massachusetts come to mind. So before designing and making any article using shell casings, check for laws that set out that only licensed gun owners can carry and transport any component of ammunition. In MA, I believe it is a felony to even have one casing on your person without permits/licences.

ETA, keep this in mind even if your own state doesn't have such laws in effect that transporting such objects across state lines into states that do have such legislation may get you into trouble as well.
                          Last edited by yaahl; 03-08-2011, 07:14 AM.
                          A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Comment

I just took 303 shells here and added them to the front dangle of a choker!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X