Making a Wing Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Wing Fan

I need help making a wing fan. So far what I've done was separate the feathers and clean them. What I need help is making a fan handle and putting it together. I know some keep the wing whole and use it like that, but that is not what I wanted. So if anyone can help me out I'll greatly appreciate it.

Originally posted by Pani/Dine' View Post
    I need help making a wing fan. So far what I've done was separate the feathers and clean them. What I need help is making a fan handle and putting it together. I know some keep the wing whole and use it like that, but that is not what I wanted. So if anyone can help me out I'll greatly appreciate it.
    The handle you can find ready made at crazy crow...
    I use a wing fan but I kept mine together and just wrapped the end and had it beaded
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

Comment

My uncle made my twin daughters wing fans - 1 left handed and 1 right handed. He just cut a basic handle shape out of a 1" pine board, shaped it some with cutting and sanding, then drilled a hole for each feather.

Some people use a router and make a deep slot to hold the feathers, fill it partway with hot glue and then position the feathers in there....to rearrange, you just heat it up and the glue will release.

Others split the handle after they shape it, and cut out a portion for the feathers, then glue the 2 sides back together after the feathers are glued in position.

Good luck!
      ...it is what it is...

Comment

I know of a few that the "elbow" is the handle and it was either wrapped in buckskin and carried that way or with a red cloth.
        I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

i would try a fan handle blank but don't take my word for it all. i have no experience in making fans. i usually have expereinced ppl who know how to do featherwork to do mine. that was all in the past...

Comment

A blank fan handle is the way to go. I agree with wyo about the hot glue. It's the easiest way to do it especially when making your first fan. They sell curved wing fan blanks or you can make your own. The pre made ones are usually a couple bucks.

Wrap it in buckskin and bead it or leave it with just the hide. It's a personal preference.

Good luck!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X