Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hides

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hides

    Well kiddos tiss the season just got my first delivery of Deer skins will be brain tanning them over the next few months will have pics when done . So if you dont see me not to worry I am elbow deep in you know what . They delivered 45 today an 35 more in the next week . This is going to be fun wouldnt ya say !
    Better known an loved as Men~Nie Turtles !
    Life is what you make it. Becareful what you give . You just might get it back!

  • #2
    Re: Hides

    Originally posted by WolfTears
    Well kiddos tiss the season just got my first delivery of Deer skins will be brain tanning them over the next few months will have pics when done . So if you dont see me not to worry I am elbow deep in you know what . They delivered 45 today an 35 more in the next week . This is going to be fun wouldnt ya say !
    when i lived down there i used to tan my own when my ex and his friends went hunting out in franklin. hed bring um back and id start skinnin on the deck of his apt...i had a blast the neighbors were like what the eff tho.

    :Chatter
    Oh yeah, I used to know Quentin...He's a real...He's a real Jerky

    ~Flat Beat~

    Comment


    • #3
      So how many are you sending me when you get them done?????
      The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
      -Daryl Baldwin: Miami


      https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

      Comment


      • #4
        LOL LOL ... My neighbors are already like what the ??????????, I did my wings this summer an a few other items an they asked my kids , is she gonna eat that stuff??????? Well now I just got done washing them down , an my one neighbor said you know that is discusting ! I said you like that nice little leather jacket you are sporting well guess what ...it is made from a hide ....lmao thought she was gonna hurl. So I told her the next couple of days dont look over the fence she wont like what she is gonna see ! hahaha the kids will all be armed with scrappers an there own frame with hide , we gonna be doing turkey an scrapping but not at the same time LOL.

        Spotedeagle lol what you sending me for my birthday LOL LOL !!!!!!!!!! If you want to come help you can have the hide that you tan lmao!
        All but what we use for my families items will be sold . I have a friend that sells them an he is nawing at the bit , he is like are they done yet??? Told him to bring his big self over here an help . You two wanna come help me ...roflmao
        Better known an loved as Men~Nie Turtles !
        Life is what you make it. Becareful what you give . You just might get it back!

        Comment


        • #5
          i wish i could, but darn it im a little too far to be commuting :D
          Oh yeah, I used to know Quentin...He's a real...He's a real Jerky

          ~Flat Beat~

          Comment


          • #6
            You going to be sellin them? If so, how much?
            I didn't do it, honestly. I have burned all the proof.

            Comment


            • #7
              Update

              Well kiddo's I am on hide 30 an no they are not tanned yet . Just pullin off the meat an stuff so I can get to that point . My bones are screaming an I am going what was I thinking then I sit an think what it will mean when I am done an look at them an say .. Yeah we did it !
              Price let me please get back to you on that , this is not easy work an today if you asked me how much I would say a million dollars , cuz I am feelin the bones today .
              Just wanted to let you know the progress . An must say after hide 23 its not so bad lol . They are pretty tho . Thanks see ya in a couple more days have 13 more that are not frozen so want to get them to a safe point . Peace be safe .
              Better known an loved as Men~Nie Turtles !
              Life is what you make it. Becareful what you give . You just might get it back!

              Comment


              • #8
                Wow.. sounds like you should be doing a thread on brain tanning!;)

                Don't forget to add me to the list! :Wave I wanna make my outfit this year.:)
                "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

                Comment


                • #9
                  I wont forget an I will let you know the best way as I go along . I have several Ideas in mind .
                  Better known an loved as Men~Nie Turtles !
                  Life is what you make it. Becareful what you give . You just might get it back!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    <b>Wow! My head is spinning.......Now don't y'all laugh....I do not have a clue when it comes to leather or much of anything else. I bought a hide some years ago and have been saving it for something "special". The time has come, and I pulled it out the other day. They sold it to me as a WHOLE hide....I assume a huge cow, ok.....I thought for the price they sold it to me for, it was an awesome deal.....it is sooooooo small, I cannot make the dress that I was going to make. I am just sick. How do you go about purchasing enough leather to make a dress (fringe and all)....what I mean is, what do you ask for? What is the correct term? This must have been a runt calf! LOL! It is not enough leather to do a 1/2 of a mini skirt (if I were doing a mini skirt LOL!) <p> Also, I was told you can wash leather, as long as you dry it properly. Is this true? They said to put it in the wringer of a dryer and wring the water out of it, and then hang it to dry, but if you do that, what will happen to your fringe?? <p> Sorry to ask so many questions, I hope this is ok.....:)
                    Looking forward to tomorrow as the trials and hardships that they bring make me stronger! :-)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wow! My head is spinning.......Now don't y'all laugh....I do not have a clue when it comes to leather or much of anything else. I bought a hide some years ago and have been saving it for something "special". The time has come, and I pulled it out the other day. They sold it to me as a WHOLE hide....I assume a huge cow, ok.....I thought for the price they sold it to me for, it was an awesome deal.....it is sooooooo small, I cannot make the dress that I was going to make. I am just sick. How do you go about purchasing enough leather to make a dress (fringe and all)....what I mean is, what do you ask for? What is the correct term? This must have been a runt calf! LOL! It is not enough leather to do a 1/2 of a mini skirt (if I were doing a mini skirt LOL!)

                      A buckskin dress? Well as far as I know, you definately need more than just one hide for a dress. I know you can buy more hides from Crazy Crow and from what I was told they are pretty resonable.
                      I think, when the lady (please forgive me on forgetting your name on here, I do have a 4 month old who is driving me nuts!) made mine, she used I believe 3 or 4 hides. Plus if you are not too sure how to make it or cut it out, they have a pattern at crazy crow as well.

                      But that is my opinion, and other people can feel free to correct me, like I said, I have a 4 month old who is driving me nuts! (cutting first tooth, wish it would just come in now and make my life easier!!)
                      I didn't do it, honestly. I have burned all the proof.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Update

                        Originally posted by WolfTears
                        Well kiddo's I am on hide 30 an no they are not tanned yet . Just pullin off the meat an stuff so I can get to that point . My bones are screaming an I am going what was I thinking then I sit an think what it will mean when I am done an look at them an say .. Yeah we did it !
                        Price let me please get back to you on that , this is not easy work an today if you asked me how much I would say a million dollars , cuz I am feelin the bones today .
                        Just wanted to let you know the progress . An must say after hide 23 its not so bad lol . They are pretty tho . Thanks see ya in a couple more days have 13 more that are not frozen so want to get them to a safe point . Peace be safe .
                        LOL, totally understand with achin. I have arthritis, and it has flared up and I am beadin some stuff for a pageant. It is hard to bead with a achin back and hands and I was regrettin that I even took the order for her, but I have to get it done.

                        Um, you dont' have to get back to me til your bones are totally ok and not achin! j/k
                        I didn't do it, honestly. I have burned all the proof.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks for your info!

                          Originally posted by MissTlingitAchievement
                          A buckskin dress? Well as far as I know, you definately need more than just one hide for a dress. I know you can buy more hides from Crazy Crow and from what I was told they are pretty resonable.
                          I think, when the lady (please forgive me on forgetting your name on here, I do have a 4 month old who is driving me nuts!) made mine, she used I believe 3 or 4 hides. Plus if you are not too sure how to make it or cut it out, they have a pattern at crazy crow as well.

                          But that is my opinion, and other people can feel free to correct me, like I said, I have a 4 month old who is driving me nuts! (cutting first tooth, wish it would just come in now and make my life easier!!)
                          <p>
                          <b>;) Wow 3 or 4 hides! No, I was not going to make a buckskin dress yet....I can't afford it right now. I knew that they took more than one. This dress has a wool collar, with bear claws around it and fringed 3/4 sleeves, with a slim dress with fringe at the bottom about to the ankles.....I have no idea how many hides it will take. How are you supposed to know? How do you make sure that they match? <p>
                          That is unreal your little one is cutting a tooth already! My 4 boys did not cut them until they were around 6 months or so! Bless your heart! I feel for you!:p Silverplume
                          Looking forward to tomorrow as the trials and hardships that they bring make me stronger! :-)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mato Winyan
                            Wow.. sounds like you should be doing a thread on brain tanning!;)

                            Don't forget to add me to the list! :Wave I wanna make my outfit this year.:)
                            <p><b>Hello! May I ask a dumb question? What is "brain tanning?" Sounds gross......I know it must be a way of tanning the hides.....but what exactly is it? I have so much to learn!
                            Looking forward to tomorrow as the trials and hardships that they bring make me stronger! :-)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Thanks for your info!

                              Originally posted by silverplume
                              <p>
                              <b>;) Wow 3 or 4 hides! No, I was not going to make a buckskin dress yet....I can't afford it right now. I knew that they took more than one. This dress has a wool collar, with bear claws around it and fringed 3/4 sleeves, with a slim dress with fringe at the bottom about to the ankles.....I have no idea how many hides it will take. How are you supposed to know? How do you make sure that they match? <p>
                              That is unreal your little one is cutting a tooth already! My 4 boys did not cut them until they were around 6 months or so! Bless your heart! I feel for you!:p Silverplume

                              My only two cents worth on the dress.......if you have somewhat of a small hide already, maybe order like 2 possibly three. it is better to have more than what you need (you can always make accessories! ) then to not have enough.


                              and yes, my 4 month old is FINALLY going to cut the first tooth. He has been workin on it for the last 3 weeks :( He is not a happy camper, and neither am I!!!! I am way over my head in drool city here!


                              anyone want buckets of drool for something? I get it by the gallons in minutes!!!
                              I didn't do it, honestly. I have burned all the proof.

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Raven RainWater
                                I wish....
                                by Raven RainWater
                                undefinedundefined

                                I wish ladies & Gents. Not to be so hard on myself!!
                                When things go wrong I automatically blame myself even when I know it's not me.

                                (I have three wishes so bear wit me :)

                                I wish I had of raised my children the way my mother...
                                06-25-2005, 06:06 AM
                              • WolfTears
                                You Name It
                                by WolfTears
                                I walked up on a creek . There was a little girl sitting there . You could hear the flow of the water as it ran over the rocks.

                                I asked what are you looking at so hard? She looked at me with eyes so deep you could swim in them .
                                She said " I am trying to look into my heart"....
                                11-04-2003, 08:29 PM
                              • k9soldier
                                Minding my own business
                                by k9soldier
                                Ya know, I think sometimes many of my friends have a hard time following my logic.....if it will help,..I'll type s-l-o-w-l-y...
                                I want to share some insight (perhaps) to realtionships. You will note, I did not say marriage... any similarity to my wife is purely coincidental... I said "relationships"....
                                11-19-2010, 07:54 AM
                              • teesabear_99
                                If dogs could write letters
                                by teesabear_99
                                If Dogs Could Write Letters To God:

                                Dear God,
                                Why do humans smell the flowers, but seldom, if ever, smell one another?

                                Dear God,
                                When we get to heaven, can we sit on your couch? Or is it the same old story?

                                Dear God,
                                Why are there cars...
                                12-19-2003, 11:58 AM
                              • Montanaa
                                My mom doesn't want me to learn my culture? Or be a dancer?
                                by Montanaa
                                Some of you may have read my last post involving the fact I want to get involved in a pow wow.... well something changed, and I don't know what to do. I didn't want to post this on here but there is no where else where people understand so I hope I get some nice feedback...

                                Here's some...
                                08-07-2015, 05:58 PM

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X