flat fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat fan

ok i have all the feathers i'm going to use but i don't know what to use for a handle ? do you guy have any ideas

Wood, usually pine I think.
    I didn't do it, honestly. I have burned all the proof.

Comment

I only ever use cedar, it keeps the moths away! I always have a pile in my basement drying over the years for handles and bolo ties and for general carving.
      I even make small animals to put in dresser drawers to keep bugs away. They hate cedar.
      Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
      Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Shuks when I use my bench sander I shape it real fast with cedar. Then all that is left to do is drill holes for the feathers, that in all takes less than 15 minutes to do. Your bondo takes longer to do and stinks as well!!!
        Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
        Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

I've had real good experience with a dremmel tool as well for shaping those things. I perfer a wooden handle (cedar if you can get it) otherwise any sort of wood. Of course the fan is placed into a large 100 year old cedar chest which helps A LOT!!!
          Ezaasakwaadek-bkwezhigan ndaa miijin

~Though I wear a shirt and tie
          I'm still part red man deep inside!~
          <Paul Revere and the Raiders>

A very wise old Chief (Archie Mosay) once said to listen carefully when a White man tells you specifically that he won't do this or that, because more often than not he is telling you EXACTLY what he IS about to do.

Comment

would that work as well with a cast premade??
            Ezaasakwaadek-bkwezhigan ndaa miijin

~Though I wear a shirt and tie
            I'm still part red man deep inside!~
            <Paul Revere and the Raiders>

A very wise old Chief (Archie Mosay) once said to listen carefully when a White man tells you specifically that he won't do this or that, because more often than not he is telling you EXACTLY what he IS about to do.

Comment

Straightdancerinaz can you email me the pdf file you mentioned? I've been wanting to try the bondo method of making a handle. Thanks!

Comment

The other 'FAST' method is to use hot glue I can have a fan done start to finish in an hour (now that finish doesn't include beadwork of course). Like the bondo method the fan also looks as if the tail was still on the bird. the actual handle on these is made from a dowel rod, and very minimal carving is required. (ie cutting a notch at the top to allow the feathers to sit in and the thinning it down at the bottom to handle the fringe. Any wood will do...soft woods like cedar and pine carve quicker than hard woods like ash and oak, but the hard woods are naturally stronger.

The process of putting the fan together is simple in that you just glue the feathers together in pairs and then glue the pairs together until the whole tail/wing are together. Then you glue that to the handle where you have cut the notch in and start building up the hot glue over that to form what ever shape you want fan to have where the handle flares out to meet the feather.

There are just few things to remember...Always use HIGH TEMP glue...use the hot tip of the gun to shape the glue as you build it up...and finally remember this is a layering process
                PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Crayola Sculpty clay works well too! Air dry's!
                  Your Heart Shows by how Your Words and Actions Affect Others.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Comment

thanks for all your help
                    you talk about a dowl rod what do you mean by that

Comment

instructions

Check out the latest Whispering Wind magazine. Go the Links section at the top of this page. Several suppliers carry it, including Written Heritage. The magazine has a feature article on how to construct a flat fan from start to finish with basic beadwork hints too. Should cost you about $4.50 for a copy.

Comment

I should mention the article is in vol. 33 no. 4.

Comment

thanks Czechy i'll do that

Comment

Re: instructions

Originally posted by Czechy
                            Check out the latest Whispering Wind magazine. Go the Links section at the top of this page. Several suppliers carry it, including Written Heritage. The magazine has a feature article on how to construct a flat fan from start to finish with basic beadwork hints too. Should cost you about $4.50 for a copy.
                            They've got a craft annual that has an article on it, too.

One idea for a handle I've heard of is sort of a hybrid between the wooden blank and the bondo method. It uses a wooden spoon and you put bondo around it. I'm not a fan builder, but I have some good friends that are excellent fan craftsmen, and they use that method or the bondo/dowel method.

Comment

:( all this talk of bondo and glue yuk!
                              the traditional ways are best Feathers, Cedar wood, leather, and beadwork
                              are best and are all natural things provided by the Great Spirit and Mother Earth. Using the white mans chemicals may be quick but it is not grandfathers way. Back in the day there was no such things as bondo and glues and such as that, and the fans and other regalia and crafts have lasted a long time when taken care of properly. IMHO

May Buffalo, Bear, and Eagle lead your way and may your trek on mother earth be long

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X