Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help !!!!!!

pards;
    now this may sound wierd so those of you who who have a sick stomach or are overly dramatic please go to another thread.... i rarely hunt, and a friend of my dad's brought me a deer tail fresh off the sucker . I don't know how I can preserve it so i can use it for making a roach , it's a mighty big one and another 3 maybe more and I could make a good 18 inch roach inside and out. I just need you guys to help me out here, the tail is in the freezer , and now i'm going to see if nativetech.net can help me.

Rob

'i believe I can fly'
    Rob Young

You take a nice sharp knife and split it open from bottom to top and the pull it off the meat and bone. Then tack it open on a board stretching it as you go. Now if there is any meat or fat or anything left you need to scrap it off and let it dry out. This basically turn it into rawhide with the hair still attached.
    PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

pwb49

thanks alot . also I thought I might share a little trick I've done with my deer tails . it'as a trick my dad learned in his fly tying skills( my dad fly fishes) when you get the tail and the thing is dry and such find the darker area where the white hair meets the dark and cut it along that line

Rob

'i believe I can fly'
      Rob Young

Comment

Rob,

What powwowbum said, in slitting the underside of the tail from the base to the tip, pulling it off the bone, and tacking it fur side down to a board. I then put borax or salt over the flesh and it helps speed up the drying a little. Should take about two weeks. I wash and comb out the the hair afterwards, being careful not to re-wet the hide too much, then dry it again. That's a great tip too, in cutting off only the section of white hair, is to cut with an exacto blade or knife along the dark/light line on the flesh side.

Tara
        ps .org, not .net

Comment

After you do what the outher threads suggested, I heard of using cedar chips, or what I did was use coco chips to dry it out with, it will decrease the smell a bit, just a tip.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.