Quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quilting

Ok I am just wondering ..after I am done with tanning these deer hides . If there is anyone that would like to learn the basics of Quilting that is one thing I am very good at , an would be happy to share what I know . From hand piecing to rotary cutting secrets . Just let me know .. I could do that .:D
    Better known an loved as Men~Nie Turtles !
    Life is what you make it. Becareful what you give . You just might get it back!

Cool. I learned from my aunties how to quilt. But all I know about quilting is the "old way" of doing so. The cutting with a scissors, the piecing, the setting up of the sticks, and basting the bottom, the middle and the top to those sticks, and away you go quilting it all by hand. I realize quilting has come a long way with the machines and all. But I don't know how to do that. I never used the rotary either. Would like to learn some pointers as to how to lessen the time with cutting, etc. :D
    "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

Great give me a few days to catch my breath after christmas an all an I will post you some tips on the rotary part . Once you use this tool you will never want to go back to scissors . Most important rule in using the cutter keep all fingers away from the blade lol its the sharpest blade I have come across an meaner than I . LOL so be back here soon.:D

Comment

You know I want it!
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

You got it Black Bear . An dont forget to e me you home addy so I can send you this stuff . I cant find the envelope that you sent the barrett in .

Comment

Quilting

I would love to get your instructions on the quilting. I have tried and didn't like what I did. Nothing old way but with a sewing machine. That would be nice and I can't wait to see it. Happy Holidays to you .

Creebead

Comment

There are a few main things you will need they are a must .
              1) Cutting board (the big green ones ) they have a memory surface so that when you run over them with the cutter it mends its self.
              2) Clear quilting ruler at least 6 inchs wide
              3) Rotary cutter one that suits your hand
              These tools will be used to learn to cut mutli layers of fabric at one time for sewing. Saves loads of time an pains.

Comment

Ok just a few basic things for you to think about.
                Fabric ... Most quiters like 100% cotton braodcloth for quilts.
                Its easy to sew not to strechy Cotton also keeps that crisp crease we often need.
                Fabric terms .
                Bias . The diagonal of a woven fabric is the bias. The true bias is at a 45 degree angle to the selvages the bias has the most stretch.

Grain the lengthwise an crosswise of the threads (more on this later)

Right side wrong side . Printed fabrics have a right side an wrong side . Template tracings are made on the wrong side. For patch work for Applique the tracing is done on the right side.

you would buy at least a 1/4 yard of three seperate shades light med an dark to practice with .. Warning Warning fabric is addicting (LOL) Now keep in mind that is just to practice but if you find one on sale that you like I always buy at least 4 yards so I know I have enough for a pattern I have in mind . Most quilts take 4 to 6 yards for a border this is so you have enough to make the strips to go around the whole quilt.

What I need to know is what you are thinking of doing . for this thread I am going to show you how to rotary cut the bear paw since this is my favorite pattern . The churn dash is another that can be changed around for so many beautiful desings .

I will show you how to do a block an cut the sash strips an then the boarder putting it together is 1 2 3 . So keep your eyes open I will be back again soon out to stretch more hides now ...An you can email me questions or post them here I will answer as soon as I can.

Comment

Hey Men~nie.. I was wondering what you thought of washing your material before sewing it. The first time I made a baby blanket, I made the mistake of not washing the material I used and when It was done and washed.. parts started coming apart.
                  Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

You can that is up to you sometimes I make the top pre wash it an check for seams an things that might come apart . It often depends on the quality of material too. Most quilts I have made I do not prewash because I like the crisp feel an it makes it easier to fold an cut . Its all up to the person.

Comment

hey i'm working on a star quillt...have any tips :)
                      oO~Its just like heaven here with you dear~oO
                      oO~I could never stay away without you near~oO
                      oO~But after all I love you, I do~oO
                      ~oOAngel baby, My Angel BabyoO~

Comment

Its all in the points on the star quilt , Blink an its over . Strip cutting is the best . Get one point off an its rip an sew over an over.

Comment

Too funny my wife was just talking about wanting to try to learn quilting. Guess she'll be tuning into this thread.
                          The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
                          -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

me!

Can you teach me please?
                            2011-2012 Powwow.com Princess !

"We Walk in Two Worlds"

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.