Turtle Shell Pouch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turtle Shell Pouch

I am interested in making a turtle shell pouch for my regalia. Does anyone know of any books, websites, etc., that give patterns and instructions on making them? If so, let me know. Thanks.

Jonathan D. Cooper
    Old Time Traditional Lakota Sioux Dancer 1880-1890
    [email protected]

i dont know really how to make one but heres a pic of one from ebay and u could like look at it and try do it sorry if im no help turtle shell purse @ebay

You got me lifted shifted higher than a ceiling And ooh wee it's the ultimate feeling
    You got me lifted feeling so gifted Sugar how you get so fly?¿?

****Mary had a little lamb but grandma butchered it****

Comment

ok i was looking at some older threads and someone gave instructions on how to make one and so here they are

Just one way you could do it:

First make a pattern using a paper bag. Next lay the shell on it belly first and draw around it, flip it over with the " butt" of the shell almost touching and draw around what would be the back.
      Put this is your shell so that you can measure your how it will fit.
      Make adjustments as needed
      Next, Using a drill make small holes along the bottom of the shell.
      But Becareful. This is tricky because you don't want your holes tacky huge, but you want them close enough to gether without breaking through.
      Next On the top of your pattern draw an extra1-2 inch flap for closing your shell purse.
      If your purse is going to close over the back drill another two small holes in it about 1/4 inch apart.
      Use your pattern on the leather and drawn it out.
      Sew the sides up together.
      On the two holes you drilled in the back, cut a narrow peice of skin and put it through these.
      Cut your fringes in addition and string through your holes you've drilled. You can add beads and what not the following day. VERY IMPORTANT, make sure you have your fringe exactly how you like it, because the final step will secure it.
      Next place your leather inand postion it to your liking.
      Once you have that figured, pull the leather out and use a strong glue compound, like glue cement, and coat the inside of the shells.
      QUICKLY, place your leather back in and fit it to the insides with the closing flap out.
      Aplly pressure or stuff with white tissue paper till its stuffed tight and leave over night.
      The next day, you wake up, admire your new purse, take a picture and post on pow-wows.com.
      Hope this helps.
      Doing it this way will keep you form having to drill around the entire shell every 1/4 to 1/2 inch on your shell, and you can bead your flap or decorate it any way you want to your liking!

ok hope this helps:)

You got me lifted shifted higher than a ceiling And ooh wee it's the ultimate feeling
      You got me lifted feeling so gifted Sugar how you get so fly?¿?

****Mary had a little lamb but grandma butchered it****

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X