Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so, blackbear...

whatcha workin' on?
    Last edited by prettydark; 12-31-2001, 01:54 PM.
    Ozhaawashko-giizhigag
    Proud of my adopted and blood heritages! Anishinabe, Cree, Dene, Metis
    Jingler

Well let's see...I picked up some cross stitch ornaments at Wally world for 70 cents a piece and have finished two so far and half done with the third...just thought I would take a break from some of the stuff I have been doing since I have'nt been feeling all that well lately. Otherwise once I get the house back in order I have to start making my new dress. Switching from the Ivory colored stuff to Black and red...which is the colors I prefer , but need the break first since making Iroquoian clothes is pretty time consuming with all that raised beadwork on the leggings, skirt and collar and cuffs and tiara...you know what I am saying...
    After that, hopefully all the stuff will be in order to finish another suit for my hubby ( the ribbonwork that I have posted in teh gallery is what will be on it) so that he can have a turquoise and purple suit. Then I will probably be making a new dress for my ever quickley growing daughter. We also might be bringing her out this summer so I might need to make her osage clothes instead of Iroquois (daddy's family bringing her out..not mine). Trust me folks, seems I am always on the computer but that is just inbetween all the other stuff I have going on LOL!!!
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

i've been working on a pair of leggings for my daughter who will be 2 this powwow season and i have to sole and finish a pair of moccasins for myself, and then i want to bead the accessories for them, the hairties, barrettes and earrings... and then i'd LIKE to sew a little jingle dress for her and a dress, shawl, cape and leggings for myself.

and i need a sewing machine to do most of that stuff. well, not the beadwork.
      Ozhaawashko-giizhigag
      Jingler

Comment

Oh I cannot forget a shirt I am sewing for Chitimacha (no I have'nt forgotten..just started on it today though).
        I started sewing 3 years ago come this January 10th. I did pick up on it pretty quick. My first sewing machine was a Husqvarna Viking 120...pretty basic but very strong machine. I recommend Vikings to anyone who sews or sews leather. If you want to get one for a good price, go to a dealer and see what they have in used machines. You don't have to oil them and maintenance at home is basically blowing or brushing out the thread dust that collects where the bobbins go. Although they do recommend that you bring it in for a good in the machine cleaning once a year if used heavily. My hubby surprised me last year with the top of the line Lily 555 (or is it 550? I can't remember the exact numbers) and I have to say..I LOVE MY MACHINE!!! I think this machine is the reason I can push out ribbonwork (applique style) so quickly...like in three days for a complete set for regalia!! Whatever you buy...make sure you like your machine!! There is nothing like sewing with a cheap piece of crap that breaks threads all the time.
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

my mom has an old portable singer machine, older than i am... she's gonna get it cleaned and fixed up and we'll see if it's still alive... i hope so... if so, i won't be needing a new machine.
          Ozhaawashko-giizhigag
          Jingler

Comment

hey blackbear, how did your santa creation go over? everybody have a good time?
            - zeph

Comment

zeph: Check out the gallery!!!!!!!!!!:D
              "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

It was great Zeph...it went over VERY well!!! I put a couple of pics in the gallery (although I put two of them in there twice LOL) and I think you can see the ribbon strips ok...hard for me to tell since I know what they look like. I was'nt dancing this one, I was working the floor...door, pictures, such as... but the kids had a wonderful time with a candy dance and round dancing and gifts from Santa!! The place was'nt as packed as we thought it would be, but then the weather was pretty nasty so...well that is how it goes in Alaska LOL.

Comment

:c2: :clap:
                  - zeph

Comment

I"ve got a singer treddle machine, old but runs great.. I do alot of patch repair work and leather work. I'm working on a beaded pipe bag. My thumb is getting sore, out of condition. Have a capote coat to put together for a friend... really need to start on a new set of skins for myself. Have the leather, just need to find the time! Same ole story. Plus have a pair of mocs for myself I need to finish beading. I also have black and red for my colors.
                    I just finished beading a couple of possible pouches ( I use them for my reading glasses).
                    Listen to the children

Comment

Hey Hawkin...my fingers get real sore after sewing leather or soles to moccasins... When they finally healed from one pair (I never can seem to build up a good callous for some reason) I decided to make me a pair of thimbles for the two fingers that get sore, my thumb and middle finger. Of course they got sore again sewing the thimbles from Leather (LOL) but now they are great!! I don't get blisters, sores and they grip the needle better for me. Just an idea...you probably came up with that one yourself! ;)

Comment

:37: I actually have made a set of leather finger wraps.. sort of like thimbles with open ends.. but love your idea, will try making a new set.. its when I push on that darn kneedle and it slips up under the outer layer of skin on the thumb.. that drives me nuts!
                        When I"m hand sewing the moc's or something tedious like that, I tend to use the leather finger wraps. Was actually thinking of using liquid 'second skin', but then came to my senses.. if thats possible. thanks for the suggestion.. will give it a try
                        Listen to the children

Comment

YIKES!! I know what you are talking about !! They make this sticky pad thimbles for quilting and tried those for pushing the needles through, but they were awkward and the needle would slip..so I do not reccommend those for using with skin needles!!

Comment

Well I just tried for the first time yesterday using a "Brother" sewing machine*lol* I said that I feel like a drunk driver on a sewing machine because my lines where all crooked*rolol* But that was a first for me, never touched a sewing machine before in my life:o

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X