tail fan handle help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tail fan handle help

I am making a tail fan and i need help on the handle part. I wanted to connect the feathers to dowels and then to the handle. I am very stumped on how to do this. If i can get an example I will post it. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

I attached a file of what i am talking about. Never mind the thread work or beadwork. I only need to know how to attach the dowels.
    Attached Files

I sent you a pm, but I think from the picture that is the wooden spoon method.
    The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
    -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

wish I could help you.. I have'nt made a fan using dowels yet. And the last fan I made was only 5 inches long LOL.. but it was described to me by someone, that you put the dowl up the shaft of the feather and glue it in, then you either drill holes into your handle where you want the dowels to go.. or you glue them to inside of a woooden spoon with epoxy or fill it in with jb bond or wood filler.. and then sand it all down a good shape.
      Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

spoon method

I kind of get the idea of the spoon method but how is the part where the dowels and handle meet so thin? I can work with bondo pretty well but, I need some pictures or drawings or whatever to help me out.

Comment

Bamboo scewers are better than dowels. tougher, stronger and thinner. and you can buy them in large bunches cheap.
          My bark is worse than my bite

Comment

Does anyone know how to make one of those screw on handles?

Comment

yes, almost all the old loose fans (and most new ones) are made from wooden shot gun cleaning rods. you can buy super cheap wooden rods or even the threaded male and female sections ferrules,from Crazy crow pge 34 i think or even Wood working shops. I guess some people are making threaded flat fan handles but that is very recent (and kind of goofy in my opinion no old fans are made that way I know of.)
              Do you need details?
              Last edited by storm; 02-05-2004, 02:32 PM.
              My bark is worse than my bite

Comment

Kwe kwe!!! My fan handles are cedar, I cut the lenght needed and then with the band saw I cut out a u shape so I can insert the tail completely into the handle and then just glue it into place. As well I can use complete wings this way too. I am in the process of getting a bunch ready for the upcoming powwow in Golden Lake this year. I will post pics once I get the camera hooked up! As well I am using antler and bones! And as of last week I am also using deer leg bones with the fur still on them!
                Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
                Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

I typically will use a deer shoulder (cleaned , bone only) for a tail fan handle. Works slick and the natural contours provide a real nice shape for the fan. There is just the one ridge on the shoulder that needs to be shaved down - everything else is perfect as is.

Makes a shape very similar to the one in your picture - but not exactly the same.

For tail fans with dowls, I make the handle from it's own peice of wood. I then plug this into a wheel shaped peice of wood. On the other side of this wheel, I plug in my fan dowels. Think of tinkertoys and you have the right idea. Fill in the empty spaces with whatever you want and cover. Voila.

Im going to try that spoon technique though -sounds interesting. Thanks for the info folks.
                  Mii iw keyaa ezhi-ditibiseyaan

Comment

Hey everyone I posted a picture of my new fan, deer leg handle!! Tell me what you think of my road kill recycling!
                    Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
                    Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X