Quillwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quillwork

Anybody know where I can find large quantities of porcupine quills at a cheap price? I know hides are usually better for getting a large supply at a low price, but I don't have the right resources where I live for pulling the quills. Natural, dyed I don't care, please help!!
    You can't be a figment of my imagination, I do better work than that.

Let me check a few sources and I will get right back to you on that!
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

I-95. Just keep your eyes peeled.
      - zeph

Comment

I-95!?!

I-95 is on the east coast right? I'm in Texas, won't be back east for a long while. :(

Comment

well, try I-40 then. though i don't think armadillos give quite the same effect. But at least they won't have as many tics.
          - zeph

Comment

hahaha:D

Comment

;)

(i'm sure blackbear will have some great info for you later)
              - zeph

Comment

Can't seem to find my crazy crow cataloque...but the prices are similar to the place I used to work ...so here is what I have found so far...
                The Black Elk Leather, Beads and Stones in anchorage alaska...(907) 562-2703...largest amount they sell is 28 grams...that fills up a gallon size plastic bag about halfway..the other half is air so they don't get damaged..that is a lot of quills!!! $15.75...usually if you have a buissness liscense that you can fax them , they will give you 20% off...money orders, and credit cards only if outside Alaska. Ask for a free cataloque if you call. They can also let you know the shipping costs.

Iroqrafts sells the largest amounts I have seen in quills so far...and the prices are canadian..so read carefully since I tried to get the currency conversion for you too.
                www.iroqrafts.com
                single bags of 14 grams 7.95 or approx. 4.98 american
                Now the rest of these are lots of 14 gram bags..not singles
                50/14grm @7.75/700grm=387.00 or approx 242.68 amer.
                100/[email protected]/1400 grm750.00or aprox.470.00 american
                200/[email protected]/15.00gm 1400.00 or approx. 877.91 american

hopefully you can understand what I just typed...otherwise you can check the prices out for yourself there at Iroqrafts and then the currency exchange is current for today and always subject to change.
                If I find more or better deals I will let you know. Always though, make sure that if you are ordering from canada that if it is a fur or animal part that you don't have any other kind of import fees..just ask the person you talk to.
                Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Try Moscow Hide and fur there is a link for it in the wholesale companies thread if I remember right.

You can get them cheap there and as many as you want. Not sure if they sell them dyed or not.

Hope that helps.
                  PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

On another note...i am not sure what you mean by resources for pulling your own, lack of porcupines or tools, but if it is'nt the lack of roadkill porcupine, then what people do up here is beat those things with a burlap sack and then pull them fromthe sack. LOL!!!

Comment

resources

Ah, I should give more details. I live in a dormatory, 1 room no space. And as for trying to do stuff outside, there really isn't anywhere I could do it. I have tools back at my home, but that is halfway across the country and getting the time off is pretty hard.

:wall:

Comment

Yep, as was mentioned with using the blanket.. when I get caught without one.. I"ve been known to use a baseball cap
                        (always keep one in the car for just such an occasion)..just walk along behind the little waddler and slap'em silly with cap... then you can pick your time and place to pick it clean and sort them out. Looks strange if you try to wear it.. sure get some looks. Makes for great conversation tho. Just dont loose one, sure nuff it'll end up in your pants !
                        Listen to the children

Comment

LOL!! OH MY!! Man I got a visual on that one!!!! Just could see some guy running behind a scared or ticked off porcupine while it is thinking..why is this guy trying to beat me up???? LOL!!!!!!

Comment

lol, I almost want to say something but I must restrain my dirty mind. Orders from my better half, do'h!
                            :devil

Comment

forgot to mention this

Black Eagle

On a side note, keep in mind that you get a large variety of sizes of quills when you by them bulk like this. Fat ones, skinny one, short one and long ones (dang I sound like Dr. Suess...LOL), you will end up doing a lot of sorting. My point is you get a lot of quills that aren't the right size for the type of work you are doing. I always buy more than I need when I am buying them bulk pre-pulled.
                              PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X