Men Vs. Women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men Vs. Women

I think of my self as being a respectful person. To each others beliefs, culture and opinions.
    What do you think of MEN who do sewing, beading, quilling, basket weaving, etc. Generaly thought of as skills of women.
    And WOMEN who hunt, flitnap, drum, tie roaches, etc. Generaly thought as skills of men.
    What is acceptable and what is not?

EOFA.........Equal Opportunity For All! In my opinion, which isn't much...LOL...we're losing a lot of traditional "crafts", whether it be basket weaving, beading, carving, etc.,. One of our tribal groups has an "all-invited" crafts gathering. Anyone is invited from male to female, little-tykes to big-tykes...;)....but everyone learns and in return, each of those "students" can take and share the newly acquired knowledge and share with the rest of the family. Just me two cents....(say in Irish accent)....:Chatter.
    "Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it."

~ Ah nech me hewet ~ :49:

Comment

I like that idea. Some of the best (some) beadworkers I know are men. Why not.
      Especialy now. I'm at a disadvantage. I don't even live in the same state of any of the 4 tribes I belong to. I can't just ask my elders. I would love to with out a doubt. So I hold any knowledge priceless. Weather it be when to gather basket making materials ( Not talking Walmart :Chatter ),how to tan a hide, make a hand drum, quill, dance, etc. I try and learn as much as I can. Because I want to teach my daughter and I just have a deep interest because I enjoy learning.
      I also like teaching others what I know. I also take pride in what I make. It's often for gifts for others.
      There's so much out there to learn. I still want to learn how to....carve ceder, ceder baskets, corn husk bags, make a parfleche, willow back rest, horn spoons, tieing a roach, a jingle dress, silver work, tipi bags, star quilt, gauntlets, more advanced quillwork, etc....Too many things to mention all at once.

Comment

They were'nt always necessarily women's crafts... I mean, who made clothes and did stuff for single men? their mommas??? NOT. Anyhow some of the finest craftsmen are women and some of the finest beaders are men. I have not problem with either as long as the skills stay alive and art continues to flow and get passed on.
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

I agree, just so long as the knowledge gets passed on.

Comment

I would feel as though I had hit the jackpot if I had a man who could bead....... ;)
            NO MY EYES REALLY DONT LOOK LIKE THAT........ THATS ME AS A BRATZ DOLL ;)

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:

Comment

Originally posted by eagleclan22
              I would feel as though I had hit the jackpot if I had a man who could bead....... ;)
              Oh yah! Cha-ching!! I'm teaching mine to do quillwork. He did some loom work first. He hasnt made it a hobby:) But he always wants me to make some thing for him.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleclan22
                HAHAHAHAHA! You done missed out girls, I'm already snagged! I do beadwork (applique, lazy stitch, and gourd stitch), quill work (I got a pair of beaded AND quilled mocs that I made myself), leatherwork, and I sew like a mofo - ribbonwork, applique, straight sewing, you name it.... basically, 99% of my current dance clothes were made by me.

About the only thing I CAN'T do is find time to finish anything - including scanning in pics of some of my stuff to show off in the galleries!
                Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism.

Comment

Wow!!Yah to bad you are snagged!Did you teach yourself or what? Have to agree on the time thing. Never enough time to finish every thing that you want. What are you working on now?

Comment

My mom and dad both taught me different stuff.... basically they made my gear when I was younger, but taught me along the way... I learned ribbonwork cause my mom didn't wanna sew for me! haha..... some stuff I just figured out by trial and error....

Let's see, right now, I've got about a million projects about half finished.... basically a whole bunch of new stuff for my straight dance clothes - garters, ribbonwork, new shirts, etc....

Last night I fixed up a cradle board for my son (due in about 10-13 days!)..... I gotta get started on some beadwork for my sis's baby (due late July) since she did some beadwork for us.... now she's a kick butt beadworker & seamstress!

ummm..... I think that's about it, but that'll take me forever! Sheesh, I wish I could just quit my job and do this stuff full time!

I got motivated an scanned in a sample of my work... sixe 11 beads... nothing too fancy!
                    Attached Files
                    Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism.

Comment

I like the pick!!! Very nice. Congrats on your son! Do you have any other kids?
                      I know I wish I could quit my full time job and bead, quill,etc all day. Then maybe I could finish my outfits.

Comment

Originally posted by Str8Dancer49
                        Last night I fixed up a cradle board for my son (due in about 10-13 days!)..... I gotta get started on some beadwork for my sis's baby (due late July) since she did some beadwork for us.... now she's a kick butt beadworker & seamstress!

Dang, do I have the greatest brother in the world or what?

And, yes, his son arrived Feb 29....but I'll let him tell all the details (if he has any time between diaper changes and midnight feedings).
                        sigpic

See my trading post ads
                        See my photo gallery
                        See walela49's myspace page

Comment

AWWWW a LEAP BABY!! Congrats to you Str8tdancer49!!!!! Be a sweetie and post some pics for us ok? Some of us are just all baby crazy LOL!!! (some of us as in ME)
                          Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

I'm a man and i can bead, currently i'm beading some g-strings.:D
                            Have no hard feeling toward anyone who has not shown you enmity,do not fight with anyone who does not oppose you.Those who are good at knighthood are not militaristic,those who are good at battle do not become angry,planning should be in secret, attack should be swift. Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Comment

Originally posted by Nakoda man
                              I'm a man and i can bead, currently i'm beading some g-strings.:D
                              u liar u cant bead 4 ****

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.