Porcupine Hairbrush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porcupine Hairbrush

Does anyone have instructions or know where I can get instructions on how to make a porcupine tail hairbrush?

Thanks!
    "Heals the Wild"
    Maryjane Angelo
    Skye's Spirit Wildlife
    http://www.stormpages.com/skyespirit

We live together...or not at all - Care for Mother Earth and all her children.

I think you just sew the skin around a stick and then bead the seam. As for formal directions, I don't remember seeing any. Sorry.

Comment

hair brush

Czechy is correct. It needs to be cut so that underside of the tail becomes the brush. All of the sharp quills are on top, so you need to cut the top away. The very tip of the tail has a slight curl to it, and your stick may not go all the way to the end. Once the tail is sewn to the stick, let it dry. Then, trim the end of the tail a little bit in order to stiffen the brush. If you leave the hair long, the hair is to thin to brush very well.

Curtis

Comment

Hey if anyone makes one of these, would you post a pic? I would love to see what one looks like!:49:
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'm going to give it a try, I'll post a photo when I'm done with it. I contacted Nancy Fonecello, the great quiller and gave me some advice too.

Just love this list, you all are great!
          "Heals the Wild"
          Maryjane Angelo
          Skye's Spirit Wildlife

Comment

Porky tail brush

I just made one of those about a month ago. If you want to bead it, be ready to bead it when you make it. You just use one narrow lane of lazy stitch. Use the beaded lane to sew the tail together. Just take your stitch from the flesh side of the tail out to the hair side, as close as you can to the edge of the tail hide. It is much easier to do than to describe.

I always wash the tial very good and take a sharp knife and trim off all the excess fat ,grease(lots of that with a sweet smell) and tendons first. You want all that stuff gone so it won't rot on you. THen wash it good with detergent or shampoo to cut the grease, unless you like the oldsytle hairdo's.

I looked at many photos a month ago, and it appears to me that the stick jsut barely sticks out the end of the tail with NO covering. These were all Cheyenne brushes that I was looking at. I know there is a good photo of one in "Plains Indians " by the Time Life Serie of books. Those books are everywhere.

I'm attaching a photo of the one I just made.

Ken Weidner

Comment

I bought a Porky hair brush from a lady from South Dakota.
              Very nice- this one has the stick hanging out about 3" with quillwork up the seam. Looks like the quillwork was wrapped over rawhide then attached over the seam.

Comment

Porky tail brush

OK

I'll try the photo attachment again for the umpteenth time.

I've gone back and made a new scan under 50 whatever bytes and will try this one last time.

This is a small Porcupine tail hair brush about 6 inches long totally. They were usualy 7-8 inches long.

Ken Weidner
                Attached Files

Comment

It works!!!

That is amazing!!! I've been trying to post scans for over a year and this is the first that actually worked!

I guess an old dog can learn new tricks.

Ken

Comment

Wow!! That is really awesome!! Thanks, I had never seen or heard of one of these until this thread. By the way, the key to uploading pics to the threads (not gallery) is to pay attention to the pic size...at least that is how I finally was able to upload some pics.
                    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Thanks Ken (Whirlwind)! Great photo! Even the one you sent me in B&W is great! I'll post a photo of mine when I get it done. Working on some quillwork right now.
                      "Heals the Wild"
                      Maryjane Angelo
                      Skye's Spirit Wildlife

Comment

Has anyone ever used one of the combs in thier hair?

tipis

Comment

I've used one and loved it. It belonged to a friend of mine but she moved before I could really look at it and I didn't think I would be making one at that time. Anyways, It's much easier on your hair being natural bristles. I can't wait to finish mine to have it to use.

Take care!
                          "Heals the Wild"
                          Maryjane Angelo
                          Skye's Spirit Wildlife

Comment

I've used mine, but with limited success. It does work, but it takes a lot of brushing. It doesn't seem to work on tangles very well. You just use the tip of it.
                            Curtis

Comment

Brushing hair with Porcupine tail

Hey Tipis

Just wait till National Powwow and you can try an assortment of brushes, right Ironwood.

Whirlwind

Ironwood. I found a tongue in the freezer today. I 've always wanted to try the tongue brush. We can let tipis try it out.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X