Optin Monster

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Featherwork.........question on "t" flats work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Featherwork.........question on "t" flats work.

I am getting ready to start on a fan project and need a little info on working with "t" flat feathers.I want to practice before actually starting on my project.
    1.)When cutting the t-flats is there an "appropriate" size or is that personel preferance/dependent on main feather size?
    2.)After centering the flat on the feather shaft, do you "roll" the rest of the flat around the backside?Or trim it?
    3.)When you do multiple rows, is this what is referred to as "shinglework"?
    4.)And last when doing rows,to make it look "neat" do you trim the fletching on the main shaft before doing the rows?
    Well if any of you have a moment ,any info. sure would be appreciated.

You are better off using florets instead of turkey flats. They are much easier to work with, more thin and supple and can easily be 'rolled' around the object you are decorating and are particularly nice for fans, not to mention they are generally broader. There are some mail order places carrying these now.

What I usually do is use a little glue and roll them around. For a neater appearance, I've seen the feathers trimmed but I have also seen them untrimmed, both look equally good in my opinion. I'm no expert at this but I have practiced at it, made some mistakes and had some success so take this advice for what it's worth.

Folks that do it alot seem to use only the very tip of the feather and layer as many feathers of the same color as necessary to get complete coverage.

Hope this helps in some way. Check out this website for Patrick Scott, Navajo fanmaker. He has some good close-ups of this kind of work.

http://www.sidecanyon.com/patrickscott.htm

Happy Featherworking!
    ------------------------
    The responses are my own opinion and you know what they means.

Comment

Thank you so much for posting this question.
      I have some feathers and have wanted to do something with them for awhile but didn't know what questions to ask. I had never heard these terms before.

straightdancerinaz: Thank you so much for posting the photos. That really does help.

I want to learn more about this. What would you all suggest? I need to redo a fan.
      "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

I've been laboring over the idea of putting together a "coffe table" book on this very subject.....basically, a book filled from cover to cover with fans....gorgeous, gorgeous fans! Info on origins, materials used, makers if known, dimensions and such. Nice close up pics.....I certainly live in the right area to do this too.

Please reserve me the first advanced copy!!! :)
        "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Thanks for the tips,I happened to of ordered a couple ounces of florettes a few weeks ago from CCTP in several different colors and actually tried some on my last fan.I asked about the " t"flats because somebody had recommended them.
          Now that you guys mention the florettes, I will work with them and see how they do for me.Thanks,and keep up the ideas.
          P.S.-I too would surely like a fine book for my coffee-table.

Comment

Medic and Straightdancer.

This has nothing to do with fans, but seeing your names is coincidental.

Medic, yesterday I stumbled onto the articles you sent me a year or so ago, I read them imediately. I don't know if I ever got settled with you on it or not? I spent way too long yesterday trying to send you a private email. SO here it is in public.

Straightdancer, I believe I'd spoken to either you or Medic about some whitetail deer tails for roaches. It may have been someone else. I've got all my hides scraped and brained and finally got the tails all off. If you're still interested I've still got them.

Thanks guys

Whirlwind

Comment

just thought i would post these pic for idea's
              Attached Files

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm,deer tails.............how about sending me just the roach!

Comment

Ok, so how is this done?
                  Attached Files
                  New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

is that the guy who makes the fans with the handle that unscrews for easier storage? If so I have seen a few of his first hand and was thinking about sending my stuff to have him do for me. I don't know how to do the florette stuff, but the stripes are thread..either embroidery floss or waxed thread that is wound very carefully around the dowels.
                    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

This didn't look like thread wrapping, it has shape to it??
                      Attached Files
                      New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Hmmm...you are right!! let me look at that again..I am good at figureing out how things are done ..LOL...I will be back!!
                        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmm.......aren't those small beads??

Comment

From what my" rookie" crafter vision can tell.some of it does look like threadwork.On my first fan I did threadwork with rayon thread............it is pretty glossy with good vibrant colors.BB is right though,it was very time consuming with trying to match each section in length.Then doing it on several feathers,I'll try to post a picture.

Comment

OK,On a better computer screen,I think WM is right.With all those differently shaped designs it is hard to tell.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.