Skin sewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skin sewing

Hey anyone ever do much skin sewing or particularly fur? Any good tips? Anyone ever do an otter drop? I have done one, but I then found out that I have no natural furrier abilities...so let's talk about it eh? I could always use more education.
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

I haven't worked with fur much but I do know that you should use a razor blade or xacto knife for cutting furs, never a scissors. That way you only cut the skin and not the hair/fur itself. It also helps to cut in the direction of the hair growth. :)

Comment

LOL when i saw the topic Skin Sewing i thought it was about accedently sewing yourself to your beadwork or somethin! LOL
      If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

LOL!!! and that has happened to each and every one of us!!!
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Blackbear

You should have plenty of folks right in your area that could assit you hands on. The Inuit and other artic people are well versed in what you are asking about. Most of their more elaborate parka's use different kinds and colors of fur sewn together to form designs. Shoot many of thier works don't even have and beading on them.

What are you trying to create? I know a bite about sewing furs and since I am married to an Inuit I have a whole family worth of info I can draw from for the things I do not know.
          PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Well, see I know some things...like I know how to cut the fur, and I know how to attach a fur ruff to things... But see..like I did an otter drop for my hubby and I was'nt able to get that "professional" look to it and was wondering about piecing pieces together so that they look like they were all cut from the same length of skin. And the edges, how do you make them so they look so neat? Does the fur need to be trimmed along the edge?

Comment

Blackbear

When you are piecing fur together you really have to think about what it is for and how it will look afterwards. You mentioned an otter dragger, so lets look at it. If you are going to or need to piece the stuff together you have to make sure the fur is all running the same direction, that it is close in hair length, guard hair content and overall color is similar. When you sew it together (assuming the leather part is sturdy) you want to use small shallow whip stitches. When you are done splicing the pieces together grab it on each side of the seam and pull the hide in opposite directions and use your thumb nail to smooth the seam out. Another trick is to use a spray bottle to dampen the fur down along the seam (just the fur though) before you sew it, then use a comb to lay it back away from the seam so you get less fur into the stitching. That trick really helps along the edges to keep it clean as it is sewn down to the dagger fabric.

Hope that helps and if you have any other questions, feel free.
              PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

WHEW yes!! that is the kind of information I was wanting!!Thank you SOOOO much!! Hard to believe I know, but when you mentioned plenty of folks in my area..well, not everyone likes to share thier "secrets" LOL!!! I suppose I will have to see if any classes are offered in my area, but for now this will suffice. Nya-weh Powwowbum!

Comment

Man, that tip really helped me out!! I wish I had asked about wetting the fur down before sewing. I will try that on my leggings I am going to make.
                  Thanks to both of you!
                  I didn't do it, honestly. I have burned all the proof.

Comment

My Pleasure ladies.

Blackbear I know what you mean about folks not being open to sharing their secrets...LOL! My wifes band uses those 'sunburst' parkas and you talk about interesting hide sewing. You have to cut the wolf hide into long thin strips and then depending on the length of the hair and color of it start working it back into rows to go around the hood of the parka. The whole thing is put together on a piece of canvas first and then sewn on the hood. They also use different colors and types of hide to make intricate design that border the fur parka's around the bottom. Man those are beautiful coats. One of these day I might be able to guilt my inlaws into one for me, but I'm sure that will take alot of guilting ;)
                    PB49

Comment

I have seen what you are talking about!! OH man..I love all those types of parkas !! I especially like the ones made of arctic ground squirrel. It makes such a pretty speckled kind of parka. I have always wanted one of those...but they are expensive for one, and I am not sure if anyone would teach me since I am not of any of the eskimo nations. But I can still look at them LOL!!!

Comment

Eskimo??.....oh yeah your in Alaska. My wife is from the NWT and I would get smacked if used Eskimo and not Inuit. No...she aint that bad, besides she has been down here long enough and gotten enough blank stares when she say Inuit that she uses Eskimo some now too.

Those are some really pretty ones. I had bid on one on ebay for $500 but didn't get it, it finally went for $1500. Man it was a nice one to, I still get bummed thinking about that one.
                        PB49

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X