Clear All

• ARTISTS/CRAFTERS WANTEDj

Call to Artists deadline: May 20, 2004

Vendor confirmation: June 18, 2004

CALL TO ARTISTS

Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian

First Americans Festival Indian Art Market

September 21-26, 2004

Artisans from throughout the Western Hemisphere are invited to apply.

The National Museum of the American Indian and the Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage announce a Call to Artists for the First Americans Festival Indian Market, September 21-26, 2004 in Washington, D.C. The Indian Market will be part of a six-day Festival that will feature over 400 performers and artists, and is expected to draw about 600,000 visitors. The National Museum of the American Indian is seeking as wide a representation as possible from arts and crafts vendors to display and sell works of Native arts and crafts from the U.S. (including Hawai'i), Canada, Central and South America, and the Caribbean.

The First Americans Festival Indian Market will be located on the terraces of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum (NASM), which is adjacent to the National Mall, the Festival site, and the National Museum of the American Indian.

The attached prospectus includes Selection Criteria, Selection Process and Notification, Accepted Work and Non-Allowable Items, as well as Vendor Information and Application Procedures.

For information about the First Americans Festival, contact:

National Museum of the American Indian

470 L'Enfant Plaza SW, Suite 7103

Washington, DC 20024

Email: email

Web site: www.americanindian.si.edu
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Hi thanks for the info blackbear
    Inuk*

"A person who works with their hands is a laborer,
    A person who works with their hands & their brain is a craftsman,
    A person who works with their brain & their heart ... is an Artist".
    Join my on my face book fan page:

Comment

Wha tha....?!?!??!

$1500 for the tent rental?!?!?!?!!? and $500 security deposit

holy crap!!! I know it's 6 days but holy crap! lol

Comment

holay smackerz that is too much jus for 6 dayz ppl prolly wont even make that much wiith in the 6 dayz ...''LMao

Comment

Look at it this way.. it's Washington DC.. it's the same week as their big powwow, it's during tourist season and a native festival at that... There are gonna be more money spending people there that week than you might find at the next 5 powwows... 2000.00 might just be a drop in the bucket for what a vendor (or co-op) can make that week.. and the security will probably be good as well. Think of how much european people spend on indian artistry and beadwork and how many of them will be visiting the capital for this! I'd say get 3 or 4 people together to split the cost, and have a table full of "stuff" and just sit back and watch the dough roll in!
          Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

You got that right Black Bear.
            Some times 1,500.00 or 2,000.00 may seem like alot to spend on a booth, but, holy cow ... all you need is one good sale and bammo ... all the rest is icing.
            i also agree, that if a ppl got together and split the cost, wow, even better and look - that's a whole lotta ppl that are expected to come thru.
            look at it the experience of it all
            anyhoo ... i've been checking it out since i read your thread black bear, and if i can figure it out round my schedules of my art career, my 8 to 5 job & family ... i'd be there.
            Inuk*

Comment

Same here... me an tuscaroragal would have loved to do this, but uh.. it's a bit far away from me and at least a 5000.00 venture for me as well LOL... but if I lived in the lower 48, and could drive there.. I'd do it!

Comment

Am i like an idiot, or is my comptuer stupid (ok, dont answer that)
                But i can not get that link to work, it keeps telling me that there is an issue with the cold fusion, but either way it isnt working for me.
                maybe the site is down, can you try pming me the website, i would appreciate it!!!

Kim

Comment

It's working for me.... cold fusion huh? LOL

well here...let me post it again and see if ti works better for you this time... sometimes computers are just funny that way.. if not type it into your web browser..

http://www.americanindian.si.edu/

Comment

Wooo that is a lot. But my cuzin was ask to make a mens woodland breech cloth with bead work on it and I think it was a bandaler (is that how ya spell it lol?) anywayz they gave her $1800 for it. It wasn't all beaded either. Just a few floral designs. It was the smithsonian museum that bought it. So I know some people go craza over bead work. So I bet with the high rollers *lmao* that would be there you could probably make some back.

Comment

Originally posted by potawatomi_azhe'ni
                      Wooo that is a lot. But my cuzin was ask to make a mens woodland breech cloth with bead work on it and I think it was a bandaler (is that how ya spell it lol?) anywayz they gave her $1800 for it. It wasn't all beaded either. Just a few floral designs. It was the smithsonian museum that bought it. So I know some people go craza over bead work. So I bet with the high rollers *lmao* that would be there you could probably make some back.
                      LOL
                      i believe i
                      over the last 15 yrs, i have been asked a few times if i would caribou hair tuft leather bikinis & tops. lol ... i chuckle every time i am asked, but i refuse to have my art - displayed in such places... lol ...
                      Inuk*

Comment

Originally posted by nt_inuk
                        LOL
                        i believe i
                        over the last 15 yrs, i have been asked a few times if i would caribou hair tuft leather bikinis & tops. lol ... i chuckle every time i am asked, but i refuse to have my art - displayed in such places... lol ...

Caribou hair tuft leather bikinis & tops? LMAO. I don't see a problem making something for museums. People do it also with pictures they painted and other art.

Comment

LOL actually that WOULD be cute!!

Comment

lol ... cute indeed i am sure. but the folks that have asked me already, wanted to actually wear em annnnd that's my personal choice not to have my art displayed like that. lmebo - i don't fink so. lol
                            Inuk*

Comment

OH I hear ya!! I guess what I envisioned was like a line of small tufted flowers along the top edge.. not in the graphic places LOL... You shoulda read the beaded thong thread and read about what I was asked to make not too long ago LOL

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X