Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow, Rain, Lightning, Fires....

I'm being curious here, how many of you, or do you know people who have:

1. Stayed in a tipi during a lightning storm?

2. Ever been hit by lightning during a storm?

3. Stayed in a tipi during a snow storm? How deep? How cold?

4. Stayed in a tipi during the summer heat? How hot?

5. Had a tipi burn down on them?

Tim n'Tennessee
    DANCING IS EVERYTHING!!!!

I love my tipi's. I'll never be homeless with them.

History is written by the winners.

Chalk me up for quite a few storms. I've never been hit by lightning, but it's sure been close a number of times. I've camped in 102F-103F temperatures in Kansas, that didn't seem as hot as the upper 90 degree temps in North Texas.

Comment

Ok...I have had about every disaster that can happen in a tipi....my luck. Lightening...is also one of them. However, it was not the lightening striking the pole but conducting the strike from the ground or a bolt hit the tip of one of my tipi poles. With a big storm you have rain...water is a conductor of lightening or objects that get wet. There was a big storm many years ago with rain and lightening...I was on a metal box tying to shift a pole and the interior rain cover. Water was coming down the pole and I was gripping it. Next thing I know...I was thrown across the tipi into the other side. What saved my neck was the fact I was wearing rubber flip flops. My hands were tingly...the hair a little on end...but alive to write this tale. I think I am alive...too many accidents...never know. Oh! there was no damage to the cover...tip of one pole loooked a bit singed when taken down. I guess that was my lucky day or night.

Comment

Tipi in the Snow

I had a tipi for over 25 years and I'm thinking about getting another one. My old one was 16' Cheyenne design. I have used it in the snow on many occassions. The deepest snow I ever used it in was about 8 inches. I always had a fire in mine in cold weather and with the liner up and the smoke flaps adjusted it was very nice, bright and warm.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.