Please forgive my ignorance...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please forgive my ignorance...

I am wondering what the difference is between the Tipi & the Sweat lodge (wickiup)? I want to know all I can on this topic so any info you can share I would be very greatfull. I am currently reading: Mother Earth Spirituality, By Ed Eagle Man, it is really informative but, I know traditions vary from tribe to tribe. So I'm being courious about it all.... Thanks.
    Hawk_Feather

TIPIS are dwellings you can live in and a Sweat lodge is for ceremonial or cleansing. The tipi is a cone shape structure and a sweat lodge is dome shape completely covered in blankets to keep the heat in from the hot rocks. There will be variations of this through out the Plains. I am not versed into going on any further about sweat lodges here. There are others who can go into that structure.

Tips can be anywhere from 6 to 30 + feet to live in with a fire inside durring cold weather.
    If you go to this site...
    www.tipis.org or www.tipis-tepees-teepees.com
    it will answer all you want about tipis.

Comment

Thank you for your info, I can really use it! thank you once a gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk_FeatherJY
        I am wondering what the difference is between the Tipi & the Sweat lodge? I want to know all I can on this topic so any info you can share I would be very greatfull.
        Hawk_Feather

Hawk_F,

Is this question of two Indian lodges is making you "2 tents" (too tense)?

*L
        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Lacking funds to find out what..................?

Originally posted by Hawk_FeatherJY
          I am wondering what the difference is between the Tipi & the Sweat lodge (wickiup)? I want to know all I can on this topic so any info you can share I would be very greatfull. I am currently reading: Mother Earth Spirituality, By Ed Eagle Man, it is really informative but, I know traditions vary from tribe to tribe. So I'm being courious about it all.... Thanks.
          Hawk_Feather
          Pick a tribe, any tribe, make sure they make enough percapita for your "savings" If you have to read up on being "Indian" then I must say good luck, it's a learned behavior, instilled in our blood!!!!
          [FONT=Garamond]RainbowDreamer

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
            Hawk_F,

*L
            I'm a tipi, I'm a wigwam, I'm a tipi, I'm a wigwam

...that's so true....so, so true...

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
              Hawk_F,

*L
              very funny...lol

Comment

Originally posted by ntownn8ive
                I'm a tipi, I'm a wigwam, I'm a tipi, I'm a wigwam
                yeah really, lol!

Comment

What was the question again, did anyone even answer you? Something about what was a sweatlodge and a wickiup or something? Where's the one tipi lady at, she has her own website and everything. tipis-tepees-teepees dot com or something. I have a feeling that website is geared more towards what you are looking for. Or maybe not....I don't know.....something about tipis that has wasichus all fascinated! So many white people are putting up tipis nowadays for scout meetings, retreats, summer camps...hell I even saw some at this treatment center for teenagers.....makes me not want to put up mine anymore........................jks

...that's so true....so, so true...

Comment

What was the question again, did anyone even answer you? Something about what was a sweatlodge and a wickiup or something? Where's the one tipi lady at, she has her own website and everything. tipis-tepees-teepees dot com or something. I have a feeling that website is geared more towards what you are looking for. Or maybe not....I don't know.....something about tipis that has wasichus all fascinated! So many white people are putting up tipis nowadays for scout meetings, retreats, summer camps...hell I even saw some at this treatment center for teenagers.....makes me not want to put up mine anymore........................jks
                    well I originaly asked the question because it was kind of unclear to me which was which, & or if the was a difference at all. I'm now getting some more input on this & it makes things a little clearer... lol as for the site you were refering to let me know if there are any more you can think of... ok thanks for the help.

Comment

Im so excited!

I read yesterday in this very old book, called "The book of the Indians." that the wickiup was originaly a bark house "wig-was-i-ga-mig". the bark was striped and made into squares & stiched into one long peice about (20 ft long) they were called "apakwas". they were laid over the rounded frames. I have more info in this book than i thought. I'm so excited. I can hardly wait to test it out.

Comment

Actually there is a difference between a sweatlodge and a wickiup.

A wickiup tends to be a dome shaped, or elongated, shelter that is used to live in. It was sometimes covered in bark, canvas, and/or tule or reed mats.

A sweatlodge is usually domeshaped and these days are usually covered in quilts or blankets. Different tribes have their own use for a sweatlodge. Some for purification, some for healing, it depends on the tribe.

Regarding the lady with the tipi site, it's actually a good tipi site but as far as i know, there's nothing on her site about sweatlodges, only tipi's. She's also planning on coming out with a book about tipi's, both modern and historical, i believe.

As far as people's facination with tipi's, i guess people could become just as easily facinated with the Cherokee Log Cabins or the Paunee earth lodges, but those are so dang hard to haul around.

I've seen tipi's being used at youth treatment programs, as well as in people's back yards, front yards, in front of stores, in front of and at powwows, lot's of places.

But make no mistake, a tipi is not a sweatlodge, even though a person may break a sweat setting up their tipi in the August heat.

Tim n'Tennessee

DANCING IS EVERYTHING!!!!

I love my tipi's. I'll never be homeless with them.

History is written by the winners.

Comment

I don't know.....something about tipis that has wasichus all fascinated! So many white people are putting up tipis nowadays for scout meetings, retreats, summer camps...hell I even saw some at this treatment center for teenagers.....makes me not want to put up mine anymore........................jks
                          Just remember a tipi is a fad to the wasichus. Kinda like being "politically correct". That's a joke and a half. Also remember when the gas and electricity go out in the winter, the wasichus are going to be very cold in their stick and brick houses out in the burbs. We will be in our tipis very safe and warm.

When the floods and fires come, those stick and brick houses will be toast. All we do is pack up the babies, grab the old ladies and move to safe ground. Tipis and all. It's an NDN thing the wasichu will never grasp the concept of.

To us, gas and electricity are only a convienence. To the wasichus it's a necessity. Who will survive in the long run?

We had a power outage here in Ohio a few years ago that crippled parts of the country for over a week. One of the biggest power outages ever. We got along just fine without the electricity. The wasichu didn't know what to do. I had to laugh my butt off seeing all of them waisting gasoline, running around not knowing what to do.
                          Don't ask me what I think about something unless you want a truthful anwser. It may not be the anwser you are looking for.

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []

Comment

Originally posted by TKMJ Productions
                            We had a power outage here in Ohio a few years ago that crippled parts of the country for over a week. One of the biggest power outages ever. We got along just fine without the electricity. The wasichu didn't know what to do. I had to laugh my butt off seeing all of them waisting gasoline, running around not knowing what to do.
                            *laughs* had the same thing after Hurricane Isabel came through the DC area. No electricity for about a week - you'd think people had lost their minds. How are we going to eat, they wailed.

Me and mine just cleared up the fallen limbs, found some dead wood that had been blown down, made our cook fire on the concrete driveway, dragged the racks outta the oven to set on the fire and we did just fine. Even if we hadn't had a freezer full of food to cook up, there is food all around if you know where to look.

~b2w

Comment

When the big hurricanes hit Fla. last year and the year before...this "wasichu" just put up her tipi and lived in it for a few weeks until all became normal here. Better than living in a hot house. Took the fire wood, which was plentiful at that time, and had a cook out for all my meals. Didn't have power for 4 weeks. You would be surprised how many Indians cannot survive disaster too as I had a few visit me for a meal. To survive without certain materials in a disaster is a learned experience no matter what race you are. Floods, fires and winds do not choose or go around certain people, nature hits and can kill anyone.

Many people learn how to survive, prepare to survive, and help others to survive when needed. You also have a big gun for those who don't.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.