North, South, East and West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North, South, East and West

I am just finding out that the conicle living structure was used my more than just plains Indians/First Nations.

I just got through looking at a Caribou lodge used by the Dog Rib tribe in Yellow Knife, Northwest Territories, Canada. I'm not sure if it can be called a "true tipi" but the hides were sown together like one and to set it up, it required long poles.

So this got me thinkin', "I wonder how far North, South, East and West the tipi culture extends to?

Anybody?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

tipis?

Hey WhoMe.... even a bit farther north, Inuit folks around the arctic sea and northwest hudson's bay area, as well as Inupiaq folks in NW AK used to use a summer time tent called a "tupik." It was kind of a conical hide (usually seal) cover over a framework of poles (or in some areas w/o a lot of wood, whale ribs). Even had that off center lean to it like a tipi. But they're way smaller than even the Canadian Dene structures... just enough for 3 or four people. There was one in that movie Atarnarjuat, where four folks were sleeping with their heads out the "door". Anyway, I think it's in Peter Nabokov and Robert Easton's book on Nat Am architecture, they propose that tupiks and tipis may have been developed from the same basic earlier structures....

I've also heard that the Ona and Yaghan peoples of Tierra del Fuego (the very southern tip of South America) used a tipi-like dwelling - at least seasonally. I can't verify that, but it would definately be interesting if that's the case....
    Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism.

Comment

Tipis have gone world wide; ever see them pics of Germans and Swedes and Japanese folks puttin' up tipis?

Kinda makes me want to not put mine up! Ayez!

...that's so true....so, so true...

Comment

hey Whome, my people are south and west of the Tliicho (Dogrib), and we used to use a moose-skin lodge, among other dwelling types. These were pretty heavy, and we never became a horse culture, so it musta been a pain to carry around. Now we see canvas tipis and wall-tents at gatherings and camps.
        b ndn

Comment

Str8, ntown and b cnd,

Thank you for your input.

It really makes sense that many people from many cultures used the conicle structure throughout the world.

I forgot about far South America, Europe and Japan. Also Russia.

Yes, tipi style structures are everywhere - both indigenous and replicas!
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Even hockey players use liddle wee ones ( 1 ft. ) to practice stckhandling.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X