What kind of fuel to use in a tipi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getcha some Cottonwood.

Its lightweight, holds a good coal and smells good when it burns.
    Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

Comment

Fire

i,ve always used wood for the tipi fire, all different sorts, what i could scavage, A LOT OF PINE OFF CUTS, GET FOR FREE, I EVEN USE FRUIT TREE PRUNINGS LIKE APRICOT AND ORANGE TREE BRANCHES CUT UP IT BURNS REALLY HOT AND SMELLS GOOD TWO, WE DO ALL THE COOKING ON THR FIRE TWO, NEVER HAD ANY SAFETY PROBLEMS JUST RESPECT THE FIRE, THERES NOTHING LIKE A WOOD TIPI FIRE, BUT USE WHAT EVER IS AVAILABLE!

Comment

Shyeagle, I hope you do not cook with that pine, it puts off fumes that are respatory and health concerns. The other fruit woods you mentioned are great.
        tsalaghisam, I used to live where there was Cottonwood and verdy . Verdy burned really hot!!!I bought a new grill one time and couldn't afford wood so I picked up some dried verdy. It burned so hot it burndt the heat resistant paint right off my new grill. After it burndt down it made some very fine very long lasting coals. The meat was great cooked over them too!!!

Comment

hi danny 69 thanks for advice, we,ve been making fires with pine , and cooking for many years, havent got sick yet, or lung troubles, but i know in the that a lot of native,s in the old days died of black lung, because of fires, there is this different pine hear in aussie. its a native pine not like nrth. american, its called malleepine or murray pine i think similar smell to american cedar, its makes a geat burning wood, and smells terrific, it grows in the mallee and desert areas, its protected now nearly wiped out by farmers, so now starting to come back, wouid be great for smudging and i know this ones not toxic. wado shy eagle

Comment

shyeagle,
            That is great. The pine I was speaking of is the white and yellow pine that grows in East Texas. You really would not be safe breathing it. I am glad you set my mind at ease, you had me worried.
            Danny Tosa Nakaai

Comment

thanks man! for careing anyway

Comment

We're in northern New Mexico where hardwood is difficult to come by. The big woods here are piñon, a small pine tree, juniper, and cedar. Piñon is the preferred all purpose heating wood. When cooking, all the Pueblos that I know of, use cedar. Juniper is similar to cedar in some respects, but for burning, it rapidly turns into gray ash; seems like there's not much BTU compared to the other two.

I've used lots of real coal in the blacksmith shop, and it's getting a little hard to find, especially on the Western Slope of the U.S. I recently got some from the King Mine, Hesperus, Colorado. There used to be a wonderful vein of coal in near Stigler, Oklahoma, but I think it shut down a few years ago.

Comment

Seems like coal would turn your tipi really black inside ! I use wood , any wood , keeping the fire small. Some wood pops and sparks as it burns...always a danger ! Don't want to burn down your lodge ! I dig a fire pit about 2 feet deep , once you get a good bed of coals going it'll keep you warm and you can cook ! I have a fire ring made from an old semi wheel...the kind without a center. Works well , contains the fire and radiates heat !
                  I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
                  It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

My wife and I use to own a tipi a few years back. Oh those good memories. We used wood to keep us warm back then.

I keep an eye opened here in Ohio. Some people out here have started using a small propane heater. The propane heater works well and is safer then an opened fire. It also give off a lot of heat. The down side is the cost of those propane bottles. A small Coleman bottle of propane cost you about 2 bucks and only lasts about 4 to 6 hours.

I have also seen electric space heaters used when there is power available. The newer electric heaters are safe but don't work very well. The heat produced is really not enough to do much.

Living in Ohio now, there are a lot of powwows that do not allow opened fires. In some places there are opened fire laws. Propane or electric is the only solution sometimes. The best you can sometimes get is a community fire in a safety approved area.

I have also noticed that some of powwows out here expect you as a tipi owner to display your tipi as part of the powwow. Lets call it the "village". Ooos and Ahs seems to be the norm at these powwows. We also get the "can we look inside" people out here. I have a friend with a tipi here that responds, "Can I look in your hotel room? It's a good trade".
                    Don't ask me what I think about something unless you want a truthful anwser. It may not be the anwser you are looking for.

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []

Comment

Haha ! Good Trade LOL , I like an open fire , but I have 4 of those propane heaters , various sizes. I use them during hunting season to keep my blinds warm !
                      I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
                      It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

I have also noticed that some of powwows out here expect you as a tipi owner to display your tipi as part of the powwow. Lets call it the "village". Ooos and Ahs seems to be the norm at these powwows. We also get the "can we look inside" people out here. I have a friend with a tipi here that responds, "Can I look in your hotel room? It's a good trade". [/QUOTE]

Been there, done that! We do historical reenactments (late 1700's) and it's FUNNY the reactions of the tourists. And some of them ask to peak in the tents--and others just barge right in, like you weren't even standing there. RUDE!
                        Leann
                        "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.