This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Way of Backing a barrette

Ok I say this is one way because of the different types of barrettes there are and many different people have some different ways of doing this. Since I was making a barrette and had come to the construction part anyhow, I thought I would just go ahead and snap pics and show how I did it.

1) after the piece is beaded, (I used baby pad and one of my old birthday cards for stiffness) trim closely paying good attention not to cut the threads ( like I did cause I was too lazy to turn on the lamp and had to go back and rebead that part.)

2) Using 527 Bond glue, I glue my barrette to the back of the beadwork
    Attached Files
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

carefully measure and cut two holes in your leather that will fit over the barrette with just the ends sticking out.. start with the end where the barrette bends first and then cut where it connects.. glue this piece of leather entirely over the back of the barrette.
    Attached Files
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

trim the leather along the edges of the barrette and edge bead... VIOLA!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

The finished product:

size 13 cut beads with size 11 surrounding the centerpiece. The centerpiece is a polished free form mother of pearl piece with a light pink and seafoam cast to it naturally. There are two sizes of fresh water pearl on either side, with the smaller two surrounded by antique elephant ivory beads. I'm thinking of submitting this one to State Fair this year.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank-you Blackbear. That is beautiful!!!!!!! 1st place or I'm coming to Wasilla to kick some butt!!!!
          The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
          -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

Hey Blackbear,
            Thats a really nice barrette and illustrations!!!
            Thanks for sharing your backing tips.
            I use plastic butter lids cut to shape instead of the card for the inner part is the only thing I do differently, if you don't mind me adding that in.
            Where do you find your large metal barrettes at? I can only find the small ones and I really like to use that type.
            Thanks again for the demo!!!!

Comment

Thanks !! I get the barrettes at walmart. I've tried finding a bulk source for those types of barrettes but to no avail... so I just buy the three pack of them at walmart for I think 1.67 and ... well it's kinda cheaper than buying the barrette blanks that you have to take apart... you know the "other" kind of barrette? But with those kind you can get them as small as one inch.. good for kids. I usually add a layer of plastic and cut the holes in the plastic for the barrette to go through, but this was already pretty thick..and I just can't hack beading through the plastic itself!!! OUCH on my fingers. Glad if this helps anyone out though..

Comment

Yeah, the plastic is kind of hard to sew through....but I've found out that Pringles Chips lids are kind of a thinner plastic and a lot easier to sew through....that or I cut the plastic a little smaller than the barrette. Anyway.....it's just what I use and thought I'd pass it on.
                Thanks for letting me know about the barrette's.....I've been using those spring-kind of barrette's, and they come apart or the parts come off and get lost....so I really like those 1 peice barrettes.
                Anyway....as always, I enjoy reading the demo's you do.
                Keep it up!!!!

Comment

Once again, thanks for the advice Blackbear! The barrette is beautiful!!

OK, can I go home now so I can continue on my beading projects. I don't want to be at work today. :Cry Then again, I'm not really working since I'm on pws.com. :Chatter
                  "Support Bacteria. It's the only culture some people have."

"I can't sleep, the clowns will eat me."

"Things are more like today than they ever have been."

Comment

Crack baby? :Chatter :Chatter :Chatter LOLOLOL
                    SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MissGolightly
                      Once again, thanks for the advice Blackbear! The barrette is beautiful!!

OK, can I go home now so I can continue on my beading projects. I don't want to be at work today. :Cry Then again, I'm not really working since I'm on pws.com. :Chatter

I'm there with ya Miss Go!! I don't want to be at work either.
                      Happy on Friday, Hatin on Monday....

Comment

Never Sleep again

Thanks Black Bear that is beautiful when ya gonna do a tute on how to do the cabachon ... I tried from a book an well I got a one eyed purple ppl non eating barrett bad bad bad .. But I have made progress in appliq thanks for all your threads .. I will never sleep now , skeered I miss a good idea ...:D
                        Better known an loved as Men~Nie Turtles !
                        Life is what you make it. Becareful what you give . You just might get it back!

Comment

I use 527 Bond to glue down my cabachon...that's all. Goop works pretty good, but is maybe a bit too flexible depending on how heavy the cabachon is and is hard to get a needle through if it goops up around the edges. But the 527 is medium thick, dries quicker, is a bit flexible and dries clear.

Comment

Welllll

I was talking about how u get those beads to look so purdy..;) , I tried it an I got a hump back wannabee something or other no matter what I did those little beads would not lay down so now its a science project waiting for mom to visit an take the beads off an put in her stash box to take home.
                            Your work is so beautiful , Makes ya gooooo :o :D
                            Better known an loved as Men~Nie Turtles !
                            Life is what you make it. Becareful what you give . You just might get it back!

Comment

thanks

thanks there girl iz always wondering how to do that thanks alot :) :clap:
                              "May you walk in peace my beautiful brown brothas and sistazz"

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.