Help with Leggings Please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Leggings Please!!

I'm doing my first try at leggings and I have decided to use sequins but I don't know what material to use to make it stiff....I have material I am using to do the sequin design on but then what do I put that material on and then what do I put the stiff material on?...or am I using to much material?...I don't know what I am doing actually....any kind of help needed please....Thanks...
    Last edited by jamielynneb; 09-12-2010, 01:48 AM. Reason: didn't make sense

Originally posted by jamielynneb View Post
    I'm doing my first try at leggings and I have decided to use sequins but I don't know what material to use to make it stiff....I have material I am using to do the sequin design on but then what do I put that material on and then what do I put the stiff material on?...or am I using to much material?...I don't know what I am doing actually....any kind of help needed please....Thanks...
    Hi ok. there is a thread about this in the jinge dress forum. So u r doing the leggings that zipp up right? I haven't started on my leggings yet. I didn't think of sequines, but i am beading mine. Measure your leggs first. Ok the material u want to use to seguins is maybe canvas or cotton material and i was told to use brown paper bag on the back on the material u sequine and then once u finish sequine your leggings. use heat n bond or iron on fusible interfacing and then a cotton backing . (Interfacing)or (Peltex) is what makes the leggings stiff. get the thickes if u r beading it. now for sequine don't know. u can find it at the fabric store. Also i would use bias tape to edge the leggings so they don't fray then sequins. at the top of the legging put a not on back and at the ankle and front. I have seen some people use sew on velcro or zippers. ok that is about it.

Comment

Thank you...this really does help..greatly appreciated!

Comment

WOol makes us itch! : a good alternative for leggings

Hi,

I already have a wool broadcloth skirt and leggings that is absolutely lovely but. unfortunately as with most of my family we need somethiing that wont itch but that also wont look tacky. We are working on our regalia for our tribal powwow and I need something that will work for all of us. We will be wearing traditional Haudenosaunee clothing but the wool is not happening! Help I need some suggestions.

Comment

What about lining the leggings with an non-irritating fabric? When ever we have a recruit that is allergic to wool we have their uniforms lined with a cotton or linen... there are few reactions after that.
          A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Comment

Originally posted by yaahl View Post
            What about lining the leggings with an non-irritating fabric? When ever we have a recruit that is allergic to wool we have their uniforms lined with a cotton or linen... there are few reactions after that.

THanks. I was thinking about that . But it was the handling of it in the process that I was concerned about. But I am definitely going to give it a try. Thanks again.

Comment

Try wearing cotton gloves while you are sewing... that ought to help.
              A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Comment

Originally posted by yaahl View Post
                Try wearing cotton gloves while you are sewing... that ought to help.

Thanks! Now it is off to the store we go!

Comment

What happend to wearing black velvet covered in beadwork??? That used to be a real strong item in the early 1900's ... my dad still has a few of those items in the one room hanging up as displays!
                  That at least is not itchy like wool!!! LOL have fun.
                  Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
                  Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tibiki Kinew View Post
                    What happend to wearing black velvet covered in beadwork??? That used to be a real strong item in the early 1900's ... my dad still has a few of those items in the one room hanging up as displays!
                    That at least is not itchy like wool!!! LOL have fun.
                    Oh, velvet is wonderful. I intend to lose my mind with velvet as well but I am trying to find something a bit more pedestrian for pow wows. Velvet makes me think of things a bit dressier.

Comment

I've seen some Haudenosaunee skirts and leggings made with nice thick cotton blends, in the solid traditional colors. Looked good and I bet, was comfortable to wear.

Comment

The method I use for making sequinned leggings is pretty much identical to doing beaded ones. But the method differs depending on whether I am making fully sequinned ones or partly sequined where the background would show. Which are you doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Czechy View Post
                          The method I use for making sequinned leggings is pretty much identical to doing beaded ones. But the method differs depending on whether I am making fully sequinned ones or partly sequined where the background would show. Which are you doing?

I am doing simple ribbon work and then beading . But not over the entire legging or skirt by any means.

Comment

Originally posted by Czechy View Post

Is that a example of your ribbonwork in your avatar? That is stunning. I know that great lakes people did more ribbon work I would love to get a tutorial in more advanced ribbonwork.

Comment

I second the lining suggestion. I saw a pair of leggins on a trade blanket at the Alafia a bit over a week ago. Wool and ribbon, linned with linen, looked soft and comfy. I need to make us some.
                              "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.