help making a horsehair bustle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help making a horsehair bustle

does anyone have instructions on making a horsehair bustle?

??? what exactly do you mean? attaching the horse hair feather decorations, or the entire bustle?
    Ohenton Kariwahtekwen

Comment

I would like to make a bustle like this http://www.blackarrowindianart.com/p...hair-bustle-1/ or similar ones found on the net---I see the hair is folded in half then the yarn/string is wrapped around it, what I am not sure on is the center, I can tell by other pics there is bead work on leather, but how is the horsehair attached? can't find any instructions on a how to.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Navajo Beaded Horse Hair Bustle
          PRICE: $225.00 CODE: SNN275A
          QUANTITY:

Perfect for dance or pow wow regalia or reenactments, when not in use these are usually hung prominently on the wall to display the hand work. This Navajo horse hair bustle would look great as a decoration for southwest style or western decor. Measures 16" in diameter.
          This dance bustle is part of the regalia worn by and Indian dancer during a dancing ceremony. The dancer would wear their back tied around their waist. Created with very expensive natural horse hair this bustle is very well made and also feature elaborate hand beading on the center.
          This is a very unique Native American dance bustle. Made with genuine horse hair this bustle is an actual Native made adornment by the Navajo Indians.
          sigpic

Comment

To make that is fairly easy... first get a big old brass dream catcher hoop.. the bigger the better. Then cover it with a layer of leather, wrapped TIGHT and then glue the ends. Then take your horse hair and roll over the hoop and then wrap it with a long lace piece,,, then between hair groupings add floating beads on the lace and then wrap around the next batch of hair. Then with a long lace go from the outside towards the center and add another hoop covered in lace and again the floating beads on top.If you want to you can add bear teeth on the center one to give it a wee bit of attitude I don't like the snowflake center as much. But then again it is my opinion and we all know how you think of that ... lol right!

You can make minis too for your arms!!!
            Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
            Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

i been seeing more and more of these at shops over last few years....never on the dance arena though....im kinda thinking how i can make a set that is 3/4 circle and bigger......wouldnt that be something?
              "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

completed bustle

my husband did make a horsehair bustle for our wedding . He has danced with it in the circle as he was waiting for his eagle to come from the repository. We made 3 wooden circles, 1 smaller than the other 2 (the same size) like an oreo cookie. We wrapped all of our horse hair pieces with yarn. Once ready to assemble, we took a needle and sinew and went through each piece and put beads in between each horsehair to keep the spacing. Wrapped the facing circle with leather, added a design with some beads. NOTE it ends up being pretty heavy, can add some type of should strap to take the weight off the back. Our eagle did come, so now it is a wall decoration for the time being.
                Attached Files

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X