Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• muskrat_skull
    replied
    We had something like that here in Georgia, but the yankee who could count the teeth died mysteriously. Here's last year's winner (some say she cheated):

Leave a comment:

• Migiziwomen
    replied
    Originally posted by muskrat_skull View Post
    [MENTION=14319]Ta'neeszahnii Techno[/MENTION] [MENTION=16342]Migiziwomen[/MENTION] For what?
    cause i am so smexy! lmao!

Leave a comment:

• muskrat_skull
    replied
    Originally posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno View Post
    trying to get [MENTION=16342]Migiziwomen[/MENTION] a trophy!
    [MENTION=14319]Ta'neeszahnii Techno[/MENTION] [MENTION=16342]Migiziwomen[/MENTION] For what?

Leave a comment:

• xTekno
    replied
    trying to get [MENTION=16342]Migiziwomen[/MENTION] a trophy!

Leave a comment:

• pow-wow person
    replied
    I use imitation sinew for sewing moccasins together split to size like baby mocs use thinner than man's mocs-get it?

Leave a comment:

• muskrat_skull
    replied
    Thanks for all the great advice. I tried the dental floss, minty fresh, and it works great for just starting out. I learned brick stitch and peyote stitch. I figured out something doing peyote stitch that you got to start in the middle and go up and down, at least for some things, which is a totally different way of thinking. It looks good once you get going though!

I like puzzles though and this has been just challenging enough to be soothing and not boring. I'm a terrible knitter and not alot of interest in sewing particularly, but this is fun. My son said it looked good before I got off a bead or two, not sure what I did and it started to pucker, so took it apart. Will start again now I see a little better. I was really getting in to just freeform peyote stitching, like something for a bag or mocassins, trying to make a pattern, not quite sure what to make. have some leather stuff I stitched that need something. I would love to see some stuff people make and also I have some things I found in the trash of all places and one at a yard sale mixed with a bunch of waterdamaged old toys and kids books, giong to be thrown out if no one bought it, that I would like to show to others and maybe get some info about them. When I see people's work being discarded. Is there a picture thread or maybe the group?

Wow, I see why the graph paper and colored pencils are necessary, at least for me!

Leave a comment:

• subeeds
    replied
    I use all sizes of nymo. What you get on the big spools is different than what you get on the small bobbins. Not sure why, but it is. I grabbed some of those beading needles from Wallyworld once. Couldn't even get the smallest one to fit thorough an 11. Go with John James or a good name. If you can, pick up a pair of hemostats for pulling the needle through a thread filled bead. They break fewer needles than pliers do. Most flea markets have somebody who sells them for a couple bucks a pair.

Leave a comment:

• ugidali
    replied
    Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
    I use Nymo too, and I have a few sizes: D for sewing soles on mocs, A for size 9/10 and 0 ("ought" - lol) for size 13's.

I always double my thread, except when loom beading.

I agree that beeswax is a must on most thread, or something like Thread Heaven is supposed to be good. I actually found a spool of thread that seems "pre-waxed".
    Lol I heard my grandma use "ought". I remember thinking mmm where did she get that word from lol.

Leave a comment:

• wyo_rose
    replied
    Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
    Does anyone here remember when dental floss was all the rage for loom warp threads?
    No, but I remember all the colored dental floss that we used to use to wrap medicine wheels!! GOOD STUFF!!

Leave a comment:

• yaahl
    replied
    I also pay attention to the way the thread is wound around the spool. The cheaper threads tend to leave crease marks on the inner thread (from the top layers pressing down on them). These creases can affect the way your stitches lie or the way the thread could kink and tangle.

I prefer threads that are zigzagged onto the spool - they don't seem to leave as many creases and are easier to pull off and less likely to get tangled.

I like C-Lon thread as well as Nymo... the C-Lon tends not to fray as much as the Nymo and it will give you a stiffer piece of bead work than Nymo.

I also like Beadsmith's silk thread. You can do some nice knot work between beads with it. (even easier if you use a tri-thread knotter)

Leave a comment:

• Eagle Plumes
    replied
    Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
    I use Nymo. I use several sizes. I pick the size to get the maximum thread fill in the bead hole. For lane stitch with 11/0's, I'll use doubled B. For gourd stitch with 18/0's, I use 00.

Always wax your thread. Nymo frays easily, particularly when rubbing against itself. If I'm doing something really fussy where I don't want wax crumbs between the beads, I'll iron the waxed thread between sheets of clean newsprint to force the wax into the thread.

Do yourself a favor buy the best supplies you can afford. There is little more frustrating than trying to deal with uneven beads and poor quality leather.

Does anyone here remember when dental floss was all the rage for loom warp threads?
    I forgot about the dental floss lol

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    I use Nymo. I use several sizes. I pick the size to get the maximum thread fill in the bead hole. For lane stitch with 11/0's, I'll use doubled B. For gourd stitch with 18/0's, I use 00.

Always wax your thread. Nymo frays easily, particularly when rubbing against itself. If I'm doing something really fussy where I don't want wax crumbs between the beads, I'll iron the waxed thread between sheets of clean newsprint to force the wax into the thread.

Do yourself a favor buy the best supplies you can afford. There is little more frustrating than trying to deal with uneven beads and poor quality leather.

Leave a comment:

• Eagle Plumes
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
    I like using nymo (I so want to put another word here! hahaaaaa) thread too.

You should be able to find beeswax at Michael's or most craft stores.
    I can only quess what word lol..

ive seen what I for some reason call fru fru thread wax at craft stores.. oh golly where is this poor thread going ?lol

Leave a comment:

• Joe's Dad
    replied
    Originally posted by Eagle Plumes View Post
    I use nymo beading thread . It comes in differnt sizes. I also recomend getting a cake of beeswax to wax your thread before you start beading.
    I like using nymo (I so want to put another word here! hahaaaaa) thread too.

You should be able to find beeswax at Michael's or most craft stores.

Leave a comment:

• Eagle Plumes
    replied
    Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
    I use Nymo too, and I have a few sizes: D for sewing soles on mocs, A for size 9/10 and 0 ("ought" - lol) for size 13's.

I always double my thread, except when loom beading.

I agree that beeswax is a must on most thread, or something like Thread Heaven is supposed to be good. I actually found a spool of thread that seems "pre-waxed".
    if thread heavon is what im thinking of it comes ina lil blue square box, I had some while back loved it but then I went rite back to the beeswax lol Habit I guess.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.