State Recognized Tribes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No one is right but her.
    Sorry, if I had been posting in this one you would see how wrong that statement really is! :Tongue
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

• There are 4 Micmam/Maliseet band in Maine that are fed recognized.
      ok well I followed up on this, and I hate to break it to you, but unless they just got recognized yesterday, it ain't so. In the state of Maine only the Penobs and the Passamaquoddy are federally recognized. Plus, there's only 1 band of MicMacs and one band of Maliseets in the state, anyway (though there's plenty of them married into the Penob & Passamaquoddy tribes)... the Aroostook Band of MicMacs and the Houlton Band of Maliseets. Maybe they are state recognized, I dunno. In Canada both tribes are recognized, but not in the USA.
      - zeph

Comment

• well, I have one person now telling me that the Aroostook MicMacs gained federal recognition in 1991, but I don't find that anywhere else, so who knows...
        - zeph

Comment

• Well according to the BIA list I have they are on it....

Comment

• Originally posted by deltadawn
            If anyone lived in Ga back in the early 90's then you would know how the GA natives got their state recognition.

like i asked before - if you do not care about the gov't saying who is and who isn't native then why the fuss over being enrolled somewhere?
            i haven't read all this so this only applies to this comment. Many people don't care what the government thinks...however...the fuss often arises when natives can't particpate in events because they aren't "recognized". They get excluded from conferences, scholarships, programs...you name it...

and the general problem with other natives is enough of a reason to want recogintion. If, we as natives, could decolonize our own identities and stop letting the "man" decide who's indian for us...then m aybe it wouldn't be so important to get recognition

- a skin in law school working on this very issue....

Comment

• For the EBCI they set their own blood quantum, the BIA doesn't.

We have our own laws, our own council,
              Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.