Non-Indian pow-wows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Indian pow-wows

I am looking to put together a short list of some examples of the primarily NON-Indian sponsored and attended pow-wows for some research (it's not anything negative). Could you-all give me some of the pow-wow names and where they are held? Thanks!
    Not better. Not worse. Just different.

De-Un-Da-Ga Memorial Day Pow Wow, Memorial day weekend in Pa.
    Flyin W Pow Wow in Aug in Pa.

know of more but when i get the info will post them for you.

keith

Comment

Most dances I have seen in Ohio, Indiana, Illinios, Kentucky and Pennsylvania are sponsered by non-NDN or non-recognized NDN organizations. About the only dances that are native sponsered are by NDN centers in the major cities and a few by NDN families that have moved to the area. You just need to look at most any powwow date listing to find names. Most that have 'Lodge' in the committee name or are Abbrieviated. Examples of this are Tecumseh Lodge, Msi-kah-mi-qui Lodge, TIHA (Texas Indian hobbyist Assoc, etc. (CA, FL and LA all have theses groups too)
      PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

wow i thought it was a joke,didnt know we
        had white powwow,learn something all the time

Faith

Trish

Comment

One long established powwow is the O-Sa-Wan.

Try this link for info on the event and the Mascoutin Society of Chicagoland that sponsors it.
          www.mascoutin.com

Comment

SORRY did not mean to be rude,i have never
            heard of a all white powwow,i did not think
            they existed,i have never heard of one until
            i seen it on the board.
            Faith

Trish

Comment

the ones that i posted in Pa are run by non NDN's but Ndn's do go and support them and come from asa far as SD to dance.

keith

Comment

we stay around our area pretty much,would love to travel,but we never get to, would
                like to go to one someday.
                FAITH:}

Trish

Comment

there are some in tx that i know of. they are put on by tiha (texas indian hobbyiest association)

keith

Comment

Since folks are bringing up the Mascoutin Society, here's some 411:

The Mascoutin Society is working on its 45th year. From the beginning, the MS has tried to aid Indian students with their educations. It has a "Grant-in-Aid" fund for Indian students (when emergency money is needed . . .) and has an annual scholarship for Indian students in college or tech school ($1,000 a year).

The MS also sponsors 2 Indian children through the CCF program.

The MS is mostly non-Indian, but there are some Indian members and many Indians in the Chicago area attend the dances. The Society has done its best to put on good dances and support the Indian community as best as it can.

ADVERTISEMENT- Indian students: visit the mascoutin.com website for a scholarship application. We have a 2000-2001 recipient, but you can get apps and letters of recommendation in for the 2001-2002 school year.
                    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Red Crow Powwow, Bardstown, Ky, Natchez, Natchez, MS, Tecumseh Lodge, Tipton, IN (2 fall and winter)AICA, Union Grove, NC. These are a few of them that I know of. (decent ones too)
                      Faith, I dont think that these are all white powwows, only ones not sponsored by indian organizations. In fact I have been to all of them and have seen a pretty good mix.

[This message has been edited by bbv (edited September 07, 2000).]

Comment

Franke Liste Pow Wow and the Seminar in Nc.
                        Liha in La, Tiha in Tx, Fiha in Fl, Liha in Ny.

keith

Comment

bbv
                          thanks for the information,here in oklahoma
                          we have clubs that have whites in them we help the organization out.

Faith

Trish

Comment

The University of Memphis puts on a pow wow in the spring at Chucalissa Indian Village, it is run by the museum but they consult with Natives. Also, I think Kieth mentioned LIHA, in LA. It is put on by the Louisiana Indian Heritage Assn, it used to be called Hobbiest Assn but they changed the name, and I think some of the local indians are involved with it now. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. I know there are several.
                            Jojo
                            "Moral excellence comes about as a result of habit" Aristotle

Comment

In addition to O-Sa-Wan, the Mascoutin Society of Chicagoland puts on an anual winter dance in IL.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X