Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whirlwind
    replied
    Ironwood: I believe you HAVE gone over the edge. No really, It may have something to do with the diet of the ducks. We have some berries around here in the fall that are a blue color. One day after a light rain shower, I noticed where the bird poop on the sidewalk was, there was a circle of blue pigment. I assume this is similar to the blue duck poop paint. Now I haven't gathered any up but I might collect some now and send it to you for further testing. I've always been curious about this, but I think I've finally found the right guy to test it!!!!

By the way, a guy I know of told me that to get that light Cheyenne blue color to use Mrs. Stewarts laundry blueing(thanks for the tip Ironwood). It is a nice color and afterall the Plains people were trading for paint and dye as soon as the white traders came into the region. For that matter they still do.

whirlwind

Leave a comment:

• jmm
    replied
    Iron Wood,

I too have just started a rawhide project- It s a shield and I am wondering what type of paint I can use on it.

Leave a comment:

• Iron Wood
    started a topic painting rawhide

painting rawhide

Okay, I've finally gone over the edge. In the search for an old-time blue color, to use on rawhide, I tried a source listed in Gaylord Torrece book on rawhide. On page 45, it lists Ewers reference to the Blackfeet producing a blue pigment from dried duck excrement. I know, I know, there is some old woman watching me from above thinking, some one really bought into that! I have tried boiling, baking, broiling,,,,, almost thought about saute! I have literally cooked the #&%@!* out of it. The only thing I have produced is a few laughs from my wife. Any other young fools tried this with better results? Maybe those Blackfeet ducks had a different diet. By the way, don't try this indoors. Curtis

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X