• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Lee Winterhunter
    Pow Wow Visitor

• Lee Winterhunter
    replied
    A thousand thanks!!!!!

I've forwarded the info to my friend and when she finishes her skirt, will get her to post a photo!

Megwetch, dziekuje & danke!
    Lee

Leave a comment:

• raptor
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• raptor
    replied
    Try finding a copy Lyford's 'Iroquois Crafts'. I think Irocrafts sells it and it should also be available from a decent library or through inter library loan.
    The 'tree of life'is almost a requirement on wrap-around skirts. There are probably as many designs as there are women who wear them.

The old Akwesasne Mohawk Counslor pamphlet, as I recall, has a couple of designs in it.
    The booklet was called 'Iroquois Costume', and i think it is also available in reprint.

Leave a comment:

• Lee Winterhunter
    Pow Wow Visitor

• Lee Winterhunter
    replied
    Hey, everybody...

A friend needs help finding an applique pattern that she thinks is Iroquoian. Until the moderators tell me not to, I'm gonna cross-post this to a several boards in hopes of helping her find an answer.

The applique is 'tree of life.' She saw it on an Iroquois wrap skirt in a Whispering Winds and in other places. The tree begins in the lower right-hand corner of the skirt flap (as you look at the person wearing the skirt) and goes diagonally up and to the left.

If anybody knows where there's a pattern or a really good depiction of one, would you please post it or send me a private mail?

This is for my friend who is determined to dress in an old way...and this she considers an old way.

Many megwetch in advance,
    Lee

Leave a comment:

• Nagi
    Runs with Scissors

• Nagi
    replied
    Side note question: Can you guys recommend some folks to talk to about the Women's singing societies and their songs? We have found one recording (We Will All Sing) at SOAR, but would like to know more and understand a bit about what we are hearing.

Also, are the dances you've been talking about on any purchasable videos? I keep trying to get pictures in my mind, have heard stomp dance songs and read about how a stomp dance works, but never seen it. The smoke and stick dances are totally new to me.

Last - The Big Mountains -- we met part of them (Little, Otter, and the twins) this past spring -- I think they should also be called the Big Heart family and that Little and his wife should get a medal of honor for parenting skills. Mere words can't express how truly genuine, sincere, and wonderful these folks are. We're all looking forward to seeing them at our next powwow here in Knoxville and I hope the whole family can come! I know my niece is looking forward to another 3 evenings of playing cards with Otter and my husband is looking forward to the "campfire" chats with Little! He had us in stitches the whole time.

Leave a comment:

• Tooter
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• Tooter
    replied
    Well let me apologize too for taking so long. I having been snatching baby's adn getting ready for court.

That was joke! I'm a social worker and have to have a since of humor about this work or it will get to me. If it's not the parents then it is the paper chasing. WHOOOOOO!

I know exactly who that is. That is pretty Kewl! Delores is really nice. Enos and her have a daughter right?

Talk to you laterz, Toot

Leave a comment:

• Kaleina
    Pow Wow Visitor

• Kaleina
    replied
    Tooter, sorry its taken me so long to write back also! well, my aunt, Dolores Taylor, is her daughter in law. she is married to Enos Taylor; Emma's son. wow, thats pretty cool that you know them!
    Kaleina

Leave a comment:

• Smokin' Ace
    Arena Director

• Smokin' Ace
    replied
    Oh, and the best singers of Iroquoian songs? John Oxendine, II, Pura' Fe, David Locklear, Mike Dunn, Pedro and Brian Graham.

Leave a comment:

• Smokin' Ace
    Arena Director

• Smokin' Ace
    replied
    I am so happy to see interest in the Smoke Dance and stomps. These dances have been resurrected in NC by a group of kids called "The Seventh Generation" of Pembroke, NC. The group is comprised of Lumbee and Tuscarora tribes, who began re-learning the way about two years ago with the help of Pura' Fe of Ulali. She helped with song, dance and helped the kids with their regalias. She is an awesome lady.

Some people in that region never stopped dancing Iroquoian style. People like John Oxendine II, who would compete against the fancy dancers, in full Iroquoian garb, head to toe. He is an awesome dancer, and a great friend to boot!!

Groups like the Haudoshaunee Dance Troop, lead by Mike and Daphne Dunn, traveled for years from the Pembroke, NC area, where there is still a large population of Tuscarora's from different bands.

Leave a comment:

• Henry
    Pow Wow Visitor

• Henry
    replied
    Hey Smoke,

Dont know if you are still paying attention to this post...

I love the smoke dance competitions here in Ny...I hail from Buffalo so i get to catch a fair amount of them especailly at the Salamance pow wow every year..Have you ever danced there???? Maybe i have seen you...It is a pretty good size pow wow..this year the had about 260 dancers..record for them...The weather was kind of rought though...alot of rain...

Well...just wanted to let you know...If you ever come down this way let me know I would love to watch you dance

Henry

Leave a comment:

• Tooter
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• Tooter
    replied
    Yes I do. my momma works with Eva Taylor, she is Emma's daughter. THey are my clan too. Bear Taylor (ramona) is always at the stomp dances. Why? Sorry it took so long to answer you.
    Tooter

Leave a comment:

• Kaleina
    Pow Wow Visitor

• Kaleina
    replied
    Tooter, you wouldnt happen to know Emma Taylor's family down there in cherokee would ya?
    Kaleina

Leave a comment:

• Tooter
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• Tooter
    replied
    I was looking over everyone's replies and I know about the Stomp Dances. I'm a shaker for the Ani-go-di-ge-wi (wild potato clan),Cherokee. We have our Green COrn Ceremonies like the Creek, Seminole, Caddo, and the rest of us. We are similiar in songs, calls, dress, arbors, and etc. It is taken very serious and can be fun too. especially when yo get a good caller and ZOOM there you go.

I can also SMoke Dance. I was with the American Indian Dance Theatre and am in that crazy video we did for PBS. We were taught those dances by Bill Crouse, Kevin Johnny John, Litha Johny John, Pete Jemison and a few others. I danced in the compt. at Schemitzen and had fun. Bill and his family are wonderful people. If i can recall too, the Stick Dance is not like Shake the bush. The stick dance is all the men first then all the woman and its a slow to fast dance. We follow each other around in a circle and there are no jumps. The hats that the men wear depend on their clan and whether they are Cayuga, Mohawk, Seneca, so forth. I truly hope that I'm gettign this right. It has been a long time.

I think that my favorite smoke dancers to watch in woman's are Valerie Parker and two other girls and I can't remember their names. Ah shoot. But the Jam! I like to smoke dance, its really fun.

I hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Nativeheartswoman
    Pow Wow Visitor

• Nativeheartswoman
    replied
    rabbitbelly,
    The pow wow Terence is referring to is listed on this site. It is in November. I will be there with bells on! Can't wait to see the Big Mountain family as well as the Choctaw youths. Hope to see you there!

Leave a comment:

• raptor
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• raptor
    replied
    Yes, there is a 'basic' Iroquois style. Much like there is a 'basic' straight dance outfit, subject to tribal and historic fashion and fad. You seem to have the basics down. There are differences in the designs of beadwork, some are tribal specific and some seem to be gender specific.
    The same is true of the moccasins. They are tribal and gender specific. How they are made depends on the time period and style. Some are sewn with a vamp insert and some are sewn with a simple center puckered seam. Some have a combination of the two.

This could be a very complicated post, send me a private message if you want very specific info and I'll see if I can help.

Leave a comment:

• SingerMD
    Pow Wow Visitor

• SingerMD
    replied
    Thanks for the info so far - it's been helpful.

However, I have a question about the general outfits worn by the Iroquois. Are the outfits basically the same among the 6 tribes or is there a difference? The reason I ask is that at most dances, when they call for the smoke dance competition, the dancers are wearing their regular dance outfits. I've only been to one dance where there was a single dancer wearing what I presume is an Iroquois outfit. His dance cloths consisted of the hat, a collard ribbon shirt, wool leggings, a velvet or hand woven sash with fringe at the ends, a set of mixed deer toes and tin cones, mocs and a necklace. That's the best description I could tell from where I was sitting. How do the Mohawk or Tuscarora sew up the mocs? Also, what is the basic dance cloths for the lady dancers?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.