Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiritwoman

Navajo Code Talkers/Indians in the Military

I found this website very informative: http://www.nativeculture.com/lisamitten/vets.html
    There are several papers on the Navajo Code Talkers. With the movie coming out in December I thought there might be some interest in this info.

Besides, we have a long honorable tradition as warriors, be it the U.S. military or independently! You can't keep a good man (or woman) down!
  • ghostrider

Spiritwoman you alright. Somebody else found this interesting as well. Made him more appreciative of the language.

Comment

• spiritwoman

See? He's trainable!!

Comment

• BeadedPony
        Tiny Tot Dancer
        • Jun 2000

A little known or disregarded fact is that there were also Comanche Code Talkers during WWII who were stationed in Europe. Of the original group, only one of them is still living, Charles Chibitty. It's a shame that this group of men hasn't received the "universal" honor they rightly deserved.
        Pony

Comment

• David Schneider

Aw c'mon G man. We get defensive and a fight breaks out then the topic gets shut down and we learn little.

Any other code talkers we can recognize on this thread?

Comment

• ghostrider

I'm sure that there were probably those that didn't get recognized for the work they did.
            All of them deserve the credit for the job they did.

Comment

• MrRuminator
              Tiny Tot Dancer
              • Feb 2000

Originally posted by David Schneider:
              <STRONG>
              Any other code talkers we can recognize on this thread?</STRONG>
              Back about 1991-92 the French Ambassador honored both the Comanche and Choctaw Code Talkers of WWII on the steps of the Capitol Building in Oklahoma City. It was a well attended ceremony. If memory serves there were only three Comanche and one Choctaw still alive at the time. As posted, Charles Chibitty is the only one still living.
              If y'all want I can post the names of the Comanche men.

[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: MrRuminator ]
              Cat & Dog ...Another white meat.

Comment

• paraivo
                Tiny Tot Dancer
                • May 2000

Thre is a man who published a book a few years ago about the comanche code talkers. I got to visit with him several hours after supper and breakfast where i was staying and he had a wealth of information about the code talker for WWI and WWII. He had photos of Choctaw codetalkers and identified one man as the "Alvin York of the Choctaws" He also had statistics on all of the trbes that provided codetalkers for both worldwars as well as many anectdotes, lots of pictures and more anectdotes on the Comanche codetalkers. Some tribes in WWI only numbered less than 100 members and almost all of the male members went to war as codetalkers. I wish I could remember this man's name. I will try and get the info and get it back on this board.

Comment

• ghostrider

BeadedPony - Nobody was tying to forget the contributions made by the Comanche Code Talkers. They also contributed to the program they were in. With the movie coming out it just happened to draw attention to the Navajo Code Talkers. :)

Comment

• ghostwalker

Nice website. It is a beautiful language,and
                    finally glad to know there's more than 1 to help.And I best be good. :D :D

Comment

• MrRuminator
                      Tiny Tot Dancer
                      • Feb 2000

Originally posted by paraivo:
                      <STRONG>Thre is a man who published a book a few years ago about the comanche code talkers... I wish I could remember this man's name. I will try and get the info and get it back on this board.</STRONG>
                      I know who he is...didn't know the text was pub'd yet.
                      Cat & Dog ...Another white meat.

Comment

• ghostrider

MrRuminator - since you know the gentlemans name, do you also know the name of the book?
                        If you don't wish to post could you PM me the information - would like to try to find this.

Comment

• Beth
                          Beth
                          • Feb 2000

After each concert in Dc for each military
                          holiday, they have where you can make suggestion. I have suggested dedicating one to the code talkers before they are all gone. With the possibility of using an Indian drum and veterans songs. Have not heard and they may have dismissed it.

Comment

• paraivo
                            Tiny Tot Dancer
                            • May 2000

I and Mr Ruminator have researched and ruminated with each other and have come to the conclusion that the book by Mr Meadows, William C, has not yet been published. I apparently confused his other book on Military Societies with the Code Talkers I am premature with the news of it's publishing and need to apoligize. I am,however, keeping my eyes open for it.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.