Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all the Women!!!: Moon Time?

hello.. i ahve a question
    I just recently gt my moon time and a friend told me that you are not suposed to touch you regalia during this time... i was wondering what woudl happen if you did and why you can't...
    thanks for your timw
    -n8tivechick
    If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

i see nothing wrong with it. i am lakota. and i will dance in mine. i guess it depends on the tribe. but it was told to me that it is when your spirit is the strongest. i see nothing wrong with it my self.
    my name was given to me by my grandfather.my name is watches clouds please respect it. i respect tho's who respect me. i am 20 and have a 7 month old baby. i am from houston texas as well. if you wish to know more about me please just ask. no pervs please i am married. wado! mitakuye oyasin. watches clouds

Comment

Originally posted by Kaleina:
      it is bad medicine to be anywhere near your regalia or anything else sacred for that matter while you are on your moon.

Bad Medicine while a woman is on her moon? I have to disagree with that. there is nothing bad happening there, it is a regeneration and cleansing of a womans power.
      Why do you think women didnt do sweat in the old days? they didnt need to, they naturally became cleansed. We men had to because we did not have have that natural cleansing.
      And it is not a matter of bad medicine when it comes to touching sacred items or regalia, its powerful medicine. That is when a woman is at her strongest and that energy can drain those items that were mentioned, it has nothing to do with bad medicine and is not something to be shunned or ashamed of.
      We men cant handle it, its too much for us to take, thats why back then the woman would be separated from the rest of the people so she could gather her strength during that time. There was nothing unclean or impure about it, like you read in the history books. That was the White perspective of what they were seeing. Now this is just my perspective on it and how I was raised and taught, but in my opinion I think its wrong to think that a woman is unclean, impure,or dirty during this time. I would much rather be healed by a woman during this time then any other because I know her power is at its strongest. IMO
      A Warrior without character is nothing more than a brute.

I have lots of freinds, you just cant see them:)

Comment

Bless you, riverwind!

"As long as dancing is cultivated, civilization progresses; but no sooner is the interdict set forth against it, than the people who were once refined by its inspiration, relapse into barbarism."
        - Thomas Hilgrove, 1856

Comment

I know im going to regret saying this...but traditionally with most people women are supposed to rest during this time. Thye are not supposed to cook or clean...maybe that is where the idea of no dancing came from. I think it is a neo indian idea but i could be wrong, and if I am im sure someone will tell me. but as I was taught women's medicine is at its peak at this time and they are supposed to be resting....now i know my wife will use this agaist me
          Robert Laughing Owl
          SC-AIM
          http://community.wolfstar.com/sc-aim

Comment

I was told that if I really needed to dance, I had to put cedar in my mocs, More for protection. Even though we are going through a cleansing,we can also be receptive to anything coming in. I the beginning of my healing journey I was told not to touch my medicine or my regalia, later I found that I could use my sage for smudge on my moon time. If I had to touch my regalia, I just have to smudge it when my time is over. I'm a jingle dancer and I know that I cannot dance in my dress because it's a healing dress, but I can dance in something else if I had to.
            Also, this is an important time to spend time with yourself, thats where the rule of no cooking or cleaning. Do stuff to nourish your soul and self esteem, almost like a mini vacation but you do it at home.

Comment

Excellent topic and wonderful responses! Just goes to show we CAN share cultural ideas without arguing.
              I posted a little (weeeell, actually a lot!) about this under the "How do you feel about dogs in the Circle?" topic, so I won't repeat myself. Part of my response upon that topic was about a question that was asked earlier about to how one "polices" those in the Circle i.e. one who may be Moon.
              Mr. Riverwind, if your are not already a husband you are going to make a good one!
              It is my personal choice to not enter the dance area when I am moon. For the reasons that Mr. Riverwind mentioned and my own teachings I am worried that I may "disturb" something that may happen or that I may "run or bump into" someones' "stuff" they are wearing. Dancers may have things on their body that could be "harmed" for lack of a better word. I am also aware of this outside the Circle as well.
              It is not like I think that I have destroyed may shawl or something like that if I may have touched it during that time. As I posted under the other topic: I have been taught to care for my "materials" and that is all one needs. But I would not purposely do anything to upset the balance. I hope I am making sense here. It is sooo hard to explain.
              I also feel, that this is the best time to sit back, rest, observe and contemplate what is happening. I was taught this and it has served me well.
              Though my moon time can be physically harsh on me--it is happy time--I am reminded to honor my life giving as a woman and contemplate how to give back!
              ALL IS TOLD IN THE INAUDIBLE WHISPER OF TIME, TOLD OVER AND OVER FROM BEGINNING TO END, SO MUCH EASIER TO FACE, THAN JUST ANOTHER DAY....... TALLW,1973

Comment

i never said anything about being "unclean, impure, or dirty," while mooning. and my opinions are definitely not something i read in a history book. i was taught that when you are mooning, you have bad medicine because sometimes it can be negative energy, and sometimes energy is just too strong and a person needs to take a step back. i was also taught that a woman should not cook, clean, or do any other types of labor while mooning. certain people may disagree with these beliefs, but they are my beliefs. and just because someone else disagrees does not mean that others are wrong. every tribe and every nation is not exactly the same. some things differ.

Comment

it is bad medicine to be anywhere near your regalia or anything else sacred for that matter while you are on your moon. therefore, you will be putting bad medicine into you regalia if you are near it while mooning.

Comment

i agree with what you are saying but I think the term bad medicine is what threw people off...its not as much bad as it is juts overwhelmingly strong...as someone explained it to me, because i am not a woman, its like sponge...you soak up everything around you.

------------------
                    Robert Laughing Owl
                    SC-AIM
                    Robert Laughing Owl
                    SC-AIM

Comment

I think you women need to get off the pc for a while and go on the rez talk to some elders!
                      Hate is for FOOLS!And fools like m&ms come in all colors

I am ready to tell you my secret now,I see dumb people,.I see them everywhere.They dont know they're dumb,they only see what they want to see.That weird feeling which make the hair on your neck stand up....thats them!

Comment

to Jaques... all I have to say is HA HA HA HA HAHAHHAHAHAH I agree!!!!!!!!

Comment

there are some lenghthy posts regarding the significance of this cycle of women and the connection with so many of our other womens teachings and respectful mysteries in the jingle dress forum--the posts are a little contradictory to what is here but it may explain a little more about this time and it purpose, connection and significance...

webmaster, any possibility of combining the two??

Comment

I was taught that while a woman is on her moon her spirit is most powerful, therefor she quieted herself as not to disturb any other medicine around her. She used this time for her selfmeditation. During this quiet time she also beaded, quilled or what ever needed to be done. This was an inner peace for her. I also was taught this was a natural way of cleansing.

Riverwind: I must agree with whoever said you would make a good husband if not already so. You have a keen insight to female energy.

Comment

poohskunk2, lee, and terrance Thanks
                              A Warrior without character is nothing more than a brute.

I have lots of freinds, you just cant see them:)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X