No announcement yet.

Natives in Olympic Opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naomi Lang... Jim Thorpe, Billy Mills (both of whom won gold medals), and I don't know if I'm missing any others.
    yep... Andrew Sockalexis (Penobscot), U.S. marathon medal winner in the 1912 Olympics (cousin of Louis Francis Sockalexis, the first American Indian to play professional baseball on a major league team, 1897-1899, for the Cleveland Spiders. It is in his honor that they claim to have changed their name to the Indians in 1915 - that's their story, anyway).
    - zeph

Comment

Sorry NDNKwe, I missed that little important detail. Please forgive my inability to read correctly.:D

Beth: Wouldn't that first picture in the Indianz.com gallery make an awesome poster? That's a pretty cool link.

MWP
      MWP
      Tiny Tot Dancer
      Last edited by MWP; 02-11-2002, 09:21 PM.

Comment

DID ANYONE TAPE THE OPENING CEREMONY? I was so sick and never stayed up to watch it.....Please let me know, I want so bad to see history being made...:bouncy:

Comment

Too bad they won't let you show yoru tape of the opening ceremonies.

Don't be surprised to see the Olympics come out with a video of their own of the opening ceremonies. And for a nomanal fee of course!!

It is an awsome thing to have our people honored in this way!

I missed it as well, would have loved to have seen history being made live!

Gonna go ck out that indianz.com site at least I can see some pix eh?

:)

SilverFeather
          Don't sweat the small stuff. Leave things you can not change alone and move on. The Creator will take care of all you need
          :49: Powwow Dancin is the best!! :dancer:

Comment

Silverfeather, did you find any pics? I went to that site you wrote about, but couldnt stay..

Comment

Pictures on indianz.com

On indianz.com, you have to click on "more headlines" at the bottom of the main page. On 2/11 there was a headline about the Olympic opening ceremenies. Click on that, and then you will be able to open up an entire gallery of pics. Hope this helps. This URL should take you right to the picture gallery as well:

http://www.indianz.com/SmokeSignals/...02/02112002-1a

I really like the first picture. I wish they could make a poster or something out of that.

MWP

Comment

Wow! You're right. That first picture is greeeeeaaaaat. I'd love to shake the hand of the person that shot it. I said the same thing..."They should make a poster outta that one." I've been scouring freelance sites, and I haven;t found anything else as far as pictures go. I'm hoping I'll come across some.

ali
                "I want to be the toy in your cereal box
                I want to be Carter at your peace talks
                I want to get almost too familiar
                But still notice the way that you walk"

--- Glen Phillips "Easier"

Comment

Sprocketali
                  I love your quote, it is so real to me....Love is so much...and yes, it is risky.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X