Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lngfthr
    replied
    Technically, you are supposed to have a permit to have eagle feathers. If you request eagle feathers from a repository (where some people get them), you apply as part of the process and will get the permit for them. However, the government also recognizes that feathers come to Indians mostly through other ways (i.e. handed down, etc.) so a permit isn't always required - enrollment is good enough. I think the hassle you get depends on how well law enforcement knows the regulations and respects sovereignty. Up here, nobody I know bothers with a permit and law enforcement doesn't even worry about it. I think it's more of a problem in areas with wannabes that may not be Indian but somehow have eagle feathers...(I'm surmising here). And crossing the border is a whole nother issue I'm not familiar with but have heard lots about.

I'm not sure if there's actually been a legal challenge of requiring Indians to have a permit to have feathers (anyone know for sure?) but I think most lawyers would laugh before taking a loser case like that so maybe that's why most Indians don't get hassled about it..? Again, I'm guessing. Clear as mud?

Leave a comment:

• Renilde
    replied
    Ok, I'm absolutely non-knowledgeable on this topic, but can remember to have read that just being native (prooved) or non-native is enough for being eligible or not.

Leave a comment:

• ogapahndn
    replied
    So, I'm taking it that no one knows the answer to this question? How about crossing the border with them? Any problems there?

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear
    replied
    Wow...you know that is very hard to really know...I was told that i needed to get my permit for feathers and get them from the place that does the permits..but then I asked about getting a permit for the handed down feathers and they said..all you need is an enrollment card or letter proving who you are...so now I am confused as well there.

Leave a comment:

• ogapahndn
    started a topic Carrying feathers legally

Carrying feathers legally

I've heard mentioned on here before about people having a paper from the government saying they have the right to carry eagle feathers. And if you don't have it then you are not legal. I was told that if you have your tribal enrollment card proving your indian then that's all you need. Who's right? What proof do you carry with you?
    I also remember people stating they have actually been stopped at powwows and checked for feathers. Is this a common practice at Eastern powwows?

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X