Need support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need support

Our band is located in a very industrialized area and a local company, a very major company, is proposing building an ethanol plant directly across from our rez, our homes in a residential area where we live. I'll make it short. Some of our guys have blockaded a road which they (Suncor) needs to access their plant. This is our road.

What I'm asking of you, my powwows,com friends is to send these modern day warriors words of encouragement by fax. This is our band office fax number. Someone will relay these messages to them. These guys and women need encouragement and hey people, I need it too. We might be awhile with this fight.

Address fax to "Warriors of Aamjiwnaang" fax # 519-336-0382

Miigwetch

My thoughts go out to you and to your community - I hope that the company will find a more suitable place to build their plant! I pray for your warriors safety and health!

Comment

My heart is really saddened to hear this. :( I don't have access to a fax... is there a place I can e mail or somewhere I can send an e mail and another person can send a fax?

Are there other people we can contact to object the company doing this?
      "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

You definently have my support. If anyone who doesn't have access to a fax wants to send me an email, I will print it out and send it by fax with my support. PM me.

Ki--Let us know what else we can do.
        Got percap?

Comment

i'm sending faxes today!!! :)
          The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

I'll send out mass emails to everybody but first whats your band called? i want it to sound all official.
            The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Sorry to hear about what's happening at your homelands. I support you and your Nations struggle to blockade and keep the construction out. Good job in organizing and calling out for the much needed support. I will fax out a letter also and will forward the messsage on. Good luck and stay strong!

Comment

From the Suncor website:

http://www.suncor.ca/bins/content_pa...?cid=4-18-1995

Suncor responds to Aamjiwnaang demonstration

SARNIA, April 10th, 2004 – Suncor Energy Products today responded to a demonstration by members of Aamjiwnaang First Nation on Vidal Street, beside Suncor’s Sarnia refinery.

"We acknowledge the Aamjiwnaang community’s concerns about our proposed ethanol plant. We have made no decisions on a location for this proposed plant," said Kirk Bailey, vice president, Sarnia refinery, who met with the demonstrators.

"Everyone has a right to express their opinions, and we respect this right," he said.

Suncor worked with local authorities and the demonstrators to make sure everyone was safe. Refinery operations were not affected in any way by this protest.

"Over the past year, we’ve participated in regular meetings with the Chief, Aamjiwnaang Council and representatives of their community. We’re committed to continuing this dialogue," said Bailey.

"We invite the Aamjiwnaang leadership and community representatives to continue this consultation so we can better understand their concerns and discuss ways to resolve them."

Comment

They are the people of the Aamjiwnaang First Nation (formerly Chippewas of Sarnia) Ontario. So far support has been great and luckily non violent. Let's hope this has some sort of impact on Suncors decision which is suppose to be proposed soon.

Comment

I have fax but no long distance on main telephone line....is there someway to fax a message via the internet connection?
                    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

You definetly have my support as well Kiwehnzii. I'll be sending my fax today. I need to look over the letter that I'm sending out. With our support and as well as your band's they should at least give a second thought to building a plant so close. If I am correct--Ethanol is a competitive product used as an alternative to fuel. It is basically an alcohol derived from corn turned into a gasoline--means everyone's health is at risk. High levels of carbon monoxide and other toxins may occur in the air. I think if this was me I'd be very concerned as well. I will do whatever I can to support you.
                      Life is more than what we see...

Comment

I just got back in after an all day shift on the line. Local support has been great. We get people dropping by all day with gifts of food, asemaa, drinks,wood for the fire, and words of encouragement. Some come by just to keep us company for awhile. Have a few laffs.

Suncor guys stop by trying to ask if this or that truck can get through for deliveries or work. What a stupid question. That would defeat the purpose. Dummies! The longer we stay there, the more money they lose. That's all these corporations understand. $$$$$$$

Their officials are full of lies, as usual. There's no meaningful talks with us like they portray in the media.

Their proposed plant is directly across the road from our residential area. They already recieved $22 million from the feds to build. We are convinced that they selected the proposed site already. The road we blocked is ours. It is right next to their main plant. They need it for deliveries and work purposes. So far, no police have come by. They can't very well toss us off our own land and there is no question that it is ours.

This is part of our strategy to convince them to locate elsewhere. I hope it works. Ethanol comes from corn and rotten corn attracts rats. It stinks. Really stinks. It creates carcinogens which could be cancer-causing.

I told this one guy that because it attracts rats, we don't need that cuz who needs a bunch of drunken rats in their neighborhood. :) Just thot I'd throw that in. Aye!! Got to keep a sense of humor through all this.

Thanks to those who sent faxes & prayers! The men & women (yes, women) really appreciate that. Helps us keep the faith.

We believe that sending them (Suncor) any protest letters would not do a bit of good. Giant corporations only think about money that they might lose.

Thanks for the offers to flood them with faxes and e-mails but you all know how they are. they'll just fire them in the garbage.

Comment

Do you need anything other than fax supports?

Comment

Thanks. Just your prayers.

Oh wait! Maybe a port o potty. J/K

We'll be fine. There's a lot of community support.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
                              Thanks. Just your prayers.

Oh wait! Maybe a port o potty. J/K

We'll be fine. There's a lot of community support.
                              *LOL* Kiwehnzii!

My friends and I faxed there too niij. I have friends there and my thoughts and prayers are with the Anishnabe of Aamjiwanaang. ;)
                              "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X