Rolled edges on beadwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolled edges on beadwork

Can anyone explain how to do rolled edges to finish off beadwork?
    SHAKE IT!!!!

I am not sure what you mean by rolled edges....can you explain or have a pic or a link of a pic so I can see what you are talking about?
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

here is the rolled edge

i think some call it whipped edge too
      Attached Files
      "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Yup, that's it. Thanks Mato.
        SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

Its not hard to do but does use a lot of beads. Its basically a whip stitch with beads on your thread. I think one of my bead books at home has a diagram showing how to do it. I'll see if I can post it here tomorrow.

Comment

Yeah I agree it is whipstitched...but hey Czechy...do they use soemthing in the middle of that for stability like pipeing or a small roll of leather? I have seen this but have never done it before.
            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

I can whip stitch but the lanes tend to lean... Was wondering if anyone had a better technique...
              SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

do they use something in the middle of that for stability like pipeing or a small roll of leather?
                :50:

Never thought of that..............that may be why mine doesn't turn out well! :Thinking
                "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

I've never used piping in anything I have done that on and it has always looked right.

As for them leaning, you just have to make sure your lane of beads is straight across the seam and not too many beads in it. You angle the needle and thread over to the next bead placement. It is natural for the thread to show slightly on this technique, usually on the back side. Also once a few/all the rows are on then that should also prevent leaning because of the other beads beside them.
                  PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

If you want a bigger rolled edge you just leave 1/2" or so of leather unbeaded around the edge of your piece. Put on a thin layer of glue and roll it up, then do your whip-stitch beading over it. The wider the unbeaded leather, the bigger the roll is.

Comment

Nope, I've never used any piping or fill material. I think powwowbum explained it well. Its those subtle things that can throw off this stitch. Like the angle you are inserting your needle, and getting the right number of beads for a decent wrap with each stitch. If you aren't consistent with your stitches, it will definitely show. You can compensate somewhat but not always. It also helps to use the thickest thread (doubled) possible for your beads. That helps give your edges some solidity. Other than that, all I can say is, keep trying.

Comment

i've never used any kind of piping or place fillers either. the beads seem to help all the other beads stay in place and get the correct "lump" going on. that's just the way it's always worked out in my case.

has anyone ever done it with some sort of piping though? it jsut seems like an extra step that might get in the way....??
                        C-trad

Comment

I only used folded leather to bead over, but not always.
                          I noticed, that the stitches are more even, when you fold over the leather before beading.
                          :D
                          Join my FB page:
                          https://www.facebook.com/#!/NatamBeadwork

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!

Comment

Beading

:WaveThe diagram is great, my question is "How do you get the beads to cover the corner? When I tried this method, my leather was not totally covered and it showed dramatically. Is there a trick to cover this?
                            Treat others the way you want to be treated :supperhap

Comment

[

has anyone ever done it with some sort of piping though? it jsut seems like an extra step that might get in the way....?? [/B][/QUOTE]

I made a Mountain lion hide quiver. I did this type beadwork around the mouth of the quiver. I beaded around red wool, lion hide AND a rolled up piece of calico. The reason that I did the rolled calico was to give it size.

I had access to an old original Kiowa lion hide quiver. When I looked at it, It thought it was just beaded on the red wool, but after looking closer and picking up the edge of the red wool I saw the rolled up calico that was inserted under the red wool. The owner of the quiver had never even noticed this.

I'm telling you this, to let you all know that at least ONE old peice made around 1860-70, has an insert under the rolled edge beading.

Ken Weidner

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.