• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blackbear
    Honey Connoissuer
    • Nov 2000

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

I have been hearing alot of folks say they have carpal tunnel syndrome. How many of us beaders have it and do you think that you got it from beading? What are some of the ways that you deal with it? Have any of you considered the surgery to correct it and how many of you have had the surgery? If you have had the surgery, did it help or hinder? I am asking this out more than just curiosity..I was diagnosed with it almost two years ago. Sometimes it bothers me and sometimes it does'nt. Typing and beading don't seem to effect it nearly as much as hand writing, drawing or hand sewing. So let's hear from you. ... Are there also any excercises or methods you use to help with the pain?
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic
  • nativelohaus
    Tiny Tot Dancer
    • May 2001

when i was doing my internship out in oklahoma, i came across a carpal tunnel decompression exercise. i was able to use it with one of my patients but my internship was over before i really got results. there are basically six steps to the exercise and each step is to last approximately 10 seconds. so if you do 10 stretches it should last 10 minutes for the total exercise. here it is. . .the first step is that you shake your hand out below your waist like you are trying to loosen it up. . .next, you bring your whole arm up straight ahead keeping the elbow straight and the palm facing up. then, point your fingers down toward the ground with the arm straight and palm up. . like you are bending your wrist backward and hold for 10 seconds. . . with the arm straight still, slowly curl your wrist up into a fist. so you should be standing there with a curled fist trying to bring toward your face. curl the wrist all the way to your shoulder by bending your elbow. now with the bent elbow and curled wrist. . maintain the position while moving it out to your side, it is still raised. look at the fist which should be approximately near your ear. straighten your elbow while simulataneously straightening the wrist and again point the fingers toward ground with palm up. hold that position for 10 seconds. next, to get a real stretch, turn your head the opposite way and hold for 10 seconds. this exercise should be done approximatley 10 times in a row twice a day. so you should be doing the exercise no more than 20 minutes total in a day. the whole idea behind the exercise is that you are gliding the tendons with the forearm and stretching the musculature and the sheath around the muscles. that way you can take some of the compression off of the median nerve which is compressed by the carpal tunnel. that is just one of the exercises that you may use for helping with carpal tunnel. take it or leave it but at least you may have a little more information to help you out.

Comment

• taani
      UNBELIEVEABLE!
      • Nov 2000

CTS

My Mother-in-Law, Pat Richardson, has CTS and has had surgery within the past 2 months. She was unable to make a fist or do everyday household stuff b4 the surgery. After her surgery and after physical therapy she is able to much more than b4. She still can't bead or use the hand for regular everyday things but it's still in recovery.

She has been beading for over 50 years and she hasn't been able to bead within the last 3 years of that.

BUT hopefully she'll be able to bead again one day soon.

P.S. - She also got an infection after her surgery and has been taking antibotics for it and everything's fine for now.

Taani

Comment

• nativegal
        Putin' a lil jingle in it
        • Jan 2001

Mt mother beads and has CTS. She use to wear a brace when it got real bad. I am not sure of how she deals with it now.
        What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!!!!

Comment

• Singing Otter
          Gotz ta be me!
          • Apr 2000

I have CTS. When it gets really bad I just put a moist heat on my hands and wrists. Like a heating pad or an warm epsolm salt bath. That has helped me immensely.
          SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

• Creebead
            Tiny Tot Dancer
            • Feb 2001

I don't have cts but I have tendonitis and repetative movement strains.........reallllllllllllllllllllllllly bad. I have gone to the doctor and they thought it was cts at first and found out it wasn't. I do take no less than 50 mg of vitamin B6 on a daily basis and it has helped alot. I also use Arnica oil for the pain and strain. The exercises that were mentioned help alot also. Make sure not to lean on anything when beading with your elbows...........I did and now it shows. My grandma use to tell me to bead sitting on a chair with no arms or on the ground (floor). I remember when I was a little girl my grandma and aunties either sat under the trees or in the kitchen to bead. Now I know why.......and they told me not to bead at night.........but I don't remember why she said not to do that.

Creebead :49: :49:

Comment

• Blackbear
              Honey Connoissuer
              • Nov 2000

I am definitly going to try those exercises. I have soemthing called hot rocks...dont know if any of you have heard it or not, but basically it is made of rice and corn and flax seed in a calico pillow type thing...anyhow you can heat it in the microwave for 2 minutes and then get it a little wet and it gives some good moist heat too.
              Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

• saponi
                Junior Dancer
                • Mar 2001

Between pow-wows.com, beading and working 50 hours a week on a PC, I try to switch my mouse, exercise and apply heat compresses. I do not want to have that surgery. My Auntie has had it and said it was painful.
                ~~Saponi~~

Comment

• nativelohaus
                  Tiny Tot Dancer
                  • May 2001

i would do the moist heat first and then the stretches. . .a good rule is to heat no longer than 20 minutes. reason being, the body has a way of balancing it self and will actually restrict blood flow to cool the body if the heat is left on too long.

Comment

• Nuumu
                    Tiny Tot Dancer
                    • Nov 2001

Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Hiya :)

Yep, I have it. The bad thing about the surgery is it basically cuts thru the main support for the wrist, so says my Doctor. She said while it might offer some temporary relief, often it makes things worse in time. Should only be done for extreme cases. She's relatively of that mind for any kind of surgery... only if absolutely necessary.
                    My chiropractor works on my wrists and I have ot say, it does help. Rest helps, ice helps...... or at least cold compresses. That Blue Stuff rub on cream works too...

Originally posted by Blackbear
                    I have been hearing alot of folks say they have carpal tunnel syndrome. How many of us beaders have it and do you think that you got it from beading? What are some of the ways that you deal with it? Have any of you considered the surgery to correct it and how many of you have had the surgery? If you have had the surgery, did it help or hinder? I am asking this out more than just curiosity..I was diagnosed with it almost two years ago. Sometimes it bothers me and sometimes it does'nt. Typing and beading don't seem to effect it nearly as much as hand writing, drawing or hand sewing. So let's hear from you. ... Are there also any excercises or methods you use to help with the pain?
                    **when they're pointing guns at you, are you still gonna be NDN?**

Comment

• MuzeBl
                      Gourd Dancer
                      • Feb 2002

BEADING, BAD???????? :JawDrop

Sorry, I'll forever be in denial on that one. nope, I won't believe beading can EVER be a bad thing...nope, never.

I do, however, type at work all day (not to mention this board), so if I ever have any real trouble with my wrists it will be my work that I blame, NEVER my beading...never never never.

Kidding...sorta...
                      I did have a bit of trouble with my wrists once, now that I think of it...about when I got my first computer... (bad computer..BAD!)
                      I started practicing piano again to give them something else to do and it seemed to work the problem out.

That was a long time ago before there was much awareness of CTS and I'm glad there has been progress in treating it.

Also, any doctor that avoids surgery should be commended. Avoid those Jack the Ripper types with all your might.

Thanks for the great tips, y'all. I'll keep this info handy just in case my WORK gives me CTS.
                      Instead of telling God how big your storm is, tell your storm how big your God is!

Comment

• Blackbear
                        Honey Connoissuer
                        • Nov 2000

Well it has been some concern of mine for awhile now because my tendons in my right hand are shortened. I can open my hand wide, but if I curl my thumb or first finger..the other fingers besides the pinky curl in with it automatically...and as long as one is curled..you cannot uncurl the other... I think alot of it has to do with the way I sleep as well...since I totally curl up in a bed from head to toe and hands, arms and even feet...I just kinda ball up...but I don't know what to do to prevent it..it just happens in my sleep.

Comment

• Singing Otter
                          Gotz ta be me!
                          • Apr 2000

Blackbear,

My neurologist told me that my sleeping patterns were making it worse. I'd wake up with my arms curled up under me (on my stomach). He put me in wrist splints and that kinda solved it... I couldn't roll up anymore.

Nuumu does that Blue Stuff really work? I saw the commercial and was thinking about trying some of that. My joints get pretty bad sometimes... when the rain or cold weather comes. :(
                          SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

• catsmeow
                            Tiny Tot Dancer
                            • Nov 2000

I dont have CTS, but have tendonitis, and any repetitive motion, if done long enough sets it off. :( I wear a splint when it is bad, and try and rest it. I was told by someone who has CTS that their doc told them to get a book on YoYoing, and do the tricks in the book, that the yoyo movements would help...and he said they did.

Comment

• MuzeBl
                              Gourd Dancer
                              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Singing Otter
                              Blackbear,
                              Nuumu does that Blue Stuff really work? I saw the commercial and was thinking about trying some of that. My joints get pretty bad sometimes... when the rain or cold weather comes. :(
                              My cousin Charles used it awhile. He and his wife liked it so much, they started selling it. Says it relieves pain really fast.

Her email address is [email protected] and she'll send you a sample so you can give it a try.

When I called her to ask if it was OK to post her email address, I told her what the thread was about. She said it was GREAT for CTS as well.

I hope it helps.
                              Instead of telling God how big your storm is, tell your storm how big your God is!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.