Dark on light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark on light?

No matter how tightly we may try to bead, an occasional gap might appear in our work where a bit of the background shows through (especially in lazy/lane stitch). These gaps are much more noticeable when you are using dark beads against a light colored background like on leather, canvas or Pellon.

My question is: do any of you color your foundation to match your beads or do you leave it light colored? For small projects I've used colored pencils and that has worked well. Just wondered if anyone else does this?

I've never colored the buckskin backing to match the beadwork when i've done Lazy Stitch, but that is a thought.

What i have done on my brickwork fan handles, is that once i've coverd the wooden handles with buckskin (the color doesn't matter, except for the rolled fringe), and after i've done about 4 rows of brickwork, i glue onto the hide, aluminum foil, the shiney side out, which adds more sparkle and flash to the handles. This only adds to the sparkles and flash of the 13/0 cuts i use.

I've also used the foil on loom pieces that i've sewn on onto cloth too. I just slip the foil into place after i've tacked the beaded piece onto the cloth about half way.

This adds more sparkle and flash to the beadwork without the added expense of tri-cut beads.
    DANCING IS EVERYTHING!!!!

I love my tipi's. I'll never be homeless with them.

History is written by the winners.

Comment

Do you have any pictures of your beadwork with the foil under it?

I'm interested in seeing that!
      New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

I have a beader friend who beads on white hospital sheeting (flanalized baby crib pads stuff) which is sold by the yard, in white. When she beads with dark beads she dyes the sheeting AFTER the beading is finished. Of course, the dye does not stick to the beads but the background and the thread are dyed so they don't show at all.

Comment

Dang, thats cool!
          I never would have thought of that.
          I take it the foil works best under the transparent and color-lined beads. Is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by webmaster
            Do you have any pictures of your beadwork with the foil under it?

I'm interested in seeing that!
            Not online i don't. At least not yet.
            I do have some pics online of some beaded tipi bags i've done, plus a pic of my tipi on the outside. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Czechy
              Dang, thats cool!
              I never would have thought of that.
              I take it the foil works best under the transparent and color-lined beads. Is that right?
              I don't know. I've only used opaques and cuts with the foil.

But it should work and add even more sparkle.

Comment

I usually bead on white vinyal!! I usually don't have a problem with the color coming through.
                :huddle: Learn to associate with the white man, learn his ways, get an education. With an education, you are his equal; without it, you are his victim. - Chief Plenty Coups, Crow

Comment

I never colored the background of my beadwork, since I use buckskin most of the time.

@TWDBear:
                  Is the foil strong enough to take all the needle stitches?
                  Would be nice if you could get a pic online, cause I'm interested what it looks like :)

See ya
                  Join my FB page:
                  https://www.facebook.com/#!/NatamBeadwork

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!

Comment

Originally posted by Selina
                    I never colored the background of my beadwork, since I use buckskin most of the time.

@TWDBear:
                    Is the foil strong enough to take all the needle stitches?
                    Would be nice if you could get a pic online, cause I'm interested what it looks like :)

See ya
                    The thread never goes through the foil because the beadwork is brickwork (like peyote except the beads go flat and look like bricks). For that matter, except for the first row of brickwork, at least the way i was taught, you don't even go through the buckskin.

And when using the foil behind loom work, you just tack the loom piece onto the cloth, half-way first, then slip the foil behind the beaded piece, then finish tacking the piece onto the cloth.

Comment

Oh, I see!
                      hmm, I'm still interested in a pic, if you got one.
                      :D
                      Join my FB page:
                      https://www.facebook.com/#!/NatamBeadwork

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X