buckled beadwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buckled beadwork

I made a strip of beadwork for a choker on a loom. When I stitched it to the leather backing it got all buckled. So I took it apart and re- did it. It is still kind of wrinkled looking but not as bad. I usually do applique and thought I would give the loom another try. I only used one a few times when I was a kid.

What causes the beadwork to not lie flat? any tips would sure be appreciated

That's tricky. Best thing is to make sure the piece lays flat, real flat. Try using the edge of a table or counter top. Let the edge you are sewing hang over the edge just enough to let the needle pass through the material. That might help a little. Another hint, tack down only one thread at a time. Sew in the direction of the warp threads, tacking down the weft thread in between beads, and don't tack at the outer-most warp thread. If the beadwork is real thin (1-2 inches) tack at the second or third warp thread. If the piece is wider tack at the third or fourth warp thread. Remember, tack only one thread at a time. Tack every third to fifth weft thread.

If all this is confusing PM me and I'll explain better or send you drawings.

Comment

Thank you! I had the edge warp thread whip stitched to the backing. I undid it again and tacked it like you said. It is laying a lot flatter now. :)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X