Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help On Bead Work

Hi everyone,

I'm from arizona and i need help on how to do bead work. i want to do some bead work on my new traditional regalia but i don't know how to start. i want to but an eagle in the center of the pattern but i don't know what to put on the outer side and what colors so if you all can help that would be cooll

Are ya new to beading? If so, that's quite a bit to take on for the first time... you'd probably want to applique the eagle and then attach it and fill in the background with a lazy stitch... if you read that and have no idea what I just said..raise your hand and I will guide you to some beginner threads here ok?
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Comment

ROFLMAO!!! OK first let me refer to the top of beadwork page where it says introduction to bead applique... that is what you will want to do with your eagle... OH WAIT... what style are you dancing first off.....?
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

i'm going to dance Northern Traditional

Comment

You my want to check out a book called "The Northern Traditional Dancer" by C. Scott Evans. Lots of good information in there. Will give you a good place to start and has some how to's in it.
            The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
            -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

and Crazy crow sells that book I believe... but he's wanting to know how to bead it Spot..... can I call you spot?:)

So I am guiding him first to the applique thread since he wants an eagle in the center... Now you would'nt have to do a separate applique and put it on the apron, you could just bead it on the apron, but it's in my opinion better to do it on a separate backing and then sew to the apron.. that way if you make a mistake you don't have to take it apart on your broadcloth.

Do you have the eagle pattern already picked out?

Comment

Yep I got mine from Crazy Crow for about $12. It has how to make your bustle, dance stick, breastplate, mocs, bells, ect. in it.

JCurley are you going to make your set out of buckskin or cloth???
                Are you gonna do sidetabs or leggings to go with your aprons????

As for the Beading......BlackBear's thread is the best place to start. There is more info and pics in her thread than anywhere else you will find, and it's easy to understand.
                The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.

Comment

blackbear i have picked out the kind of eagle i want to put on it. It is an eagle Flying like the one on the Gathering of nations website.

Spotted eagle I don't know this is my frist time making a traditional regalia. It's out of respect for my Grandfather who went to World War II and my family who all severed. like in Vetnam, Korea, Derset Strom and most of the wars.

It would be helpful if some one told me how th make it.

I also need help on my Shield I want a pic of the Flag Rasing on Iwo Jem

Comment

well that's why I refered you to the applique thread .. it tells you how to do it with pictures and written instruction. As for your shield... I think most guys make those out of rawhide and you would just paint what you want on it. For that ...if you arent much of an artist with the brush... go find someone who will do that for you... I know there are plenty of talented navajo artists out there so it should'nt be too hard.

Comment

oh yeah... you've got your pic of your eagle... you should start now with picking your colors... maybe since you are honoring your grandfather first and foremost.. then pick his favorite colors or the colors that represent WW2

Comment

Just an idea, similar to what I'm doing on my belt. Look at the military ribbons/medals for the different wars (called campaign ribbons) They each have their own colors. Beaded feathers like the ribbons is very popular among us veterans

Comment

well the eagle i want it to be the traditional Bald eagle and the color of the the outfit is going to like camo or the desert storm colors but i need i ideas like i siad it's me frist time making a traditional regalia

Comment

Reading you post jcurley I assume you are going to make your outfit out of cloth. I would start by picking up some material to make your aprons and side tabs or leggings (For your part of the country I'd suggest side tabs).

My aprons are about 13" wide (you want them to go from about the center of your thigh to the center of your thigh on the other side) and length you want them to go to just above your knees. I'd then pick out some ribbon to sew around the material. You'll also need some to sew on to the bottom of your apron hang down like fringe.

Your side tabs will be the wide of the space left over between your aprons minus an inch on each side. Your want to do the same as with the aprons and use ribbon put a border around them and to hang off like fringe.

You are also going to want to make an under belt about an inch wide to run through your side tabs and aprons. Some people sew the aprons and side tabs to their outer belt others use the under belt method and thread them through. Then use an nice outer belt over their ribbon shirt or if you aren't going to wear a ribbon shirt you'll want a vest.

Once you get that far, you are ready to start beading.....

Hope that helps get you started!!!! Good luck and have fun!!!

If you need more help as you go along just ask anyone here

Comment

Spotted eagle can you send a pic. of what you are talking about you know this my frist time as a traditional dancer. i was a fancy and the best in teens out here on the southwestern part of the navajo nation. but gave it up after my uncles stopped

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X