Beadwork for a vest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beadwork for a vest

I have this great idea for the back of a Men's Northern Traditional style vest. However, I am not certain how to carry the beadig over to the front. I have a large 'picture' that I will be putting on the back - it involves the Marine Corps Emblem. But I don't want the front to be bare or plain. I'm trying to determine what I should do with that side of the vest. Someone said the vest has to have geometric designs on the front. But, I know for a fact that isn't the case. Just look at any of dozens of dancers at any number of powwows, and you can see that not all vests are geometric. but, the design I am putting on the back is too big & too elaborate to shrink so i could fit it on the front at all. And I don't want the whole vest to be about the Marine Corps Emblem.
    I thought about beading up the front of the vest to look like Marine Dress Blues jacket, but It won't be very exciting - all black with some red lines, you know? I have an image on my shield and again on my headband of a Red Eagle with three white stars. I could add to the front of the vest. But, I'm not sure if that would work. It might feel or look a bit repetitive.
    Do you folks have any suggestions?
    Thank you!
    Scott
    Scott

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quick to judge,
    Quick to anger,
    Slow to understand
    Ignorance and prejudice
    And fear walk hand in hand.
    --Neal Peart(from the song Witch Hunt)

Okay. Additional questions. Approximately, how many beads does it usually take to fully bead a vest. I wear Large size clothing, if that helps at all.
    The design I created is about 275 beads wide, give or take, and 275 beads tall - which is like 75,000 beads. Am I being overly confident, or is that right? A half kilo of beads (1.1 pounds) is a little over 51,000 beads(size 11/0).
    So, is two pounds of beads a normal amount of beads for a vest? i never knew there were that many beads on a vest. I didn't think it was possible to get that many beads on a garment...
    Am I way off or is that about right?

Scott
    Scott

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quick to judge,
    Quick to anger,
    Slow to understand
    Ignorance and prejudice

Comment

Sounds about right. I did a 10"x 48" strip in 11/0's for a cradle board and used ca 0.75 kg of my background color and about 10-11 hanks of other colors. I always like to be really sure that I have more than enough background. You can hide dye lot changes in the design but not the background. Besides it is a good idea to set aside a hank or two of your background color for future repairs. The edges of vests take a real beating around the neck and along the back edge where the bustle rubs.

Comment

If you are fully beading front and back of the vest then plan on at least 1.5 Kilos for your background color, and at least another .5 kilos for your pattern (depending on complexity)

I just finished a vest done in 12s and 13s and thats about how much I used....
        Randy

Comment

Everything you bead takes alot of beads!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL My wife's belt was done in size 11's and for 3 1/" wide and 32" long, I used about 26,000 beads. The belt I'm working on now for myself is in size 13's, should be 4" wide and 28" for the beadwork; I figured in the ballpark of 36,000 beads. So you estimate for your vest sounds about right.

Like everyone else has said ORDER EXTRA!!!!!!!!!!! You can always use the left over beads for another project, especially if you are working on a complete outfit. Dye lots change and it can be a real nightmare trying to find beads that match exactly in color.

Not to mention it really stinks working on a project and running out, then ordering more and waiting for them to get to you so you can finish!!!!!
          The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
          -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

You know? The more I hear about it, the more I worry. :(
            The fact that I need 1.5 Kilo of the background color is pretty daunting. But, It's good to know beforehand.
            Of course, we're still a couple months away from starting that project. I'm starting the plannign stages now...

Scott
            Scott

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Quick to judge,
            Quick to anger,
            Slow to understand
            Ignorance and prejudice

Comment

Geez, guys. I can deal with kilos. But when you start talking about beads in the thousands, it's kinda depressing.:(
              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Yeah, suddenly a vest seems kind of daunting. I'm not sure I'd rather pay someone else to do it!
                :Eyepopper :dontknow:

You figure, if you do a lane stitch with 8 beads between stitches, that means on a vest with about 125,000 beads, you have to pick up those beads and make 15,625 stitches.
                :JawDrop

Scott
                Scott

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Quick to judge,
                Quick to anger,
                Slow to understand
                Ignorance and prejudice

Comment

Maybe start with a buckskin vest and just bead the design. Then start the fully beaded one and expect to work on it for a year. Or so....:p Cuz that's only how many stitches a day....??
                  ...it is what it is...

Comment

:LOL

Sorry, I had to break out the calculator for that one...
                    But, if you break that down in hours a day... that's only 1.7836757990867579908675799086758 an hour. I think I could do that. Hey, if I bumped it up to 2 an hour, I could knock off 78 almost 79 days. That means if I get started right now, I could be finished by April 19, 2004!

:coocoo:

Scott
                    Scott

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Quick to judge,
                    Quick to anger,
                    Slow to understand
                    Ignorance and prejudice

Comment

LMAO!!!!! When you do break it down like that it is kinda scary. I don't think we were trying to discourage you though. Just trying to give you an idea of how many beads it takes to bead something. Man a simple little bracelet sometimes ends up being a 1000 beads and you can bust one of those out in a day or so. It isn't as bad as it sounds! Do what a friend of mine suggested.... put it in front of the tv and don't watch tv with out working on the vest. My personal favorite is I keep my beadloom on the dinner table. I only move it when we are eating. My wife is constantly on my case to get the thing off the table so I'm constantly reminded to work on it. But after a month of hearing her complain, I get the rest finished real quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Nothing like a 4 foot bead loom on the dinner table to keep a relationship healthy!!!!!!!!!!!!:Chatter
                      The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by scottlollar
                        [B]42.808219178082191780821917808219
                        Good thing you were never in any my freshman chem classes, back in my college instructor days. Sig figs!!! *wink*

Working in front of the idiot box is good, just skip the subtitled movies:)

My trick is get up at 6am and squeeze in two hours of beading before work. This insures I get at little something done every day. If I'm doing little things, I'll work on it during my lunch break at work -- very refreshing, gets the ol' brain ready dive back into the lab.

Comment

LOL I do the same thing OL... get up and bead a little bit before working... Other people I hear work out...or have coffee ...LOL not me!
                          Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

I do that on the weekends before the kids get up. But I have to have a cup of coffee to open my eyes before I start beading otherwise I end up making to many mistakes!!!

Comment

Umm... I have a few ideas for a vest...I could scan them in and send it to you if you'd like. But I have all these ideas and only 2 hands! lol I am working on sewing down a head band right now to a piece of suede backing. but after that i gotta break out the earring making supply. lol well if you'd like to see them just lemme know .
                              love peace buffalo grease
                              Martha FWE
                              "A single tear found it's way down her face. She swallowed in an effort to choke back the flood that threatened to follow. She lifted her chin. She was an Apache. Her captors would NOT see her cry...."
                              --Walks Alone, Brian Burks

"My hair is long, my skin is tan, my eyes brown, and my heart strong. I am an Apache woman. I will not be broken."

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.