Problem with metallic colored beads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with metallic colored beads

I am making a purse and am having a problem with the metallic colored beads. I'm doing applique which requires more handling than lane stitch. As you can see below, the color is rubbing off.

I've tried spraying them with fixative. And we won't even discuss the clear nail polish... (Paint, acetone... Remember sophmore orgo? *OLChemist, hits the side of her head, while mumbling to herself.*)

Help, please!
    Attached Files

Cute picture.

Sounds to me like you got some bad beads. If the color is rubbing off while you are working, it will rub off when the object is in use. I always inspect my beads before buying them. If you rub the beads (still on the hank) on a piece of white paper and color comes off, don't buy the beads. As to preventint the color from comming off of bad beads, I have no idea.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Comment

We had considered using silver beads for a new set of boy's fancy dance beadwork. The vendor told us that the silver beads are like that. The color will wear off after a while. But she didn't say the would rub off while beading. We decided to look for a different color.

Comment

Check your local art store.

Chemist

I know of no sure way of 'fixing' your problem. Have you tried using hair spray or artwork fiixatives/sealants?. Both of those are art tricks for sealing art mediums like graphite, charcoal and pastel, it is also used on paints and dyes sometimes as well.

I know this is common problem with Japanese beads...but I have never had it when using Czech beads. Which are you using?
        PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

They're Czech charlottes. I've tried Krylon fixative.

I've avoided the metallized beads in the past because the coatings have always seemed quite suceptible to the effects of the salts left by human hands. But this time, I need the color. I don't want to use plated beads -- precious metals have caused enough trouble in their day...

Silver-lined seems like a good choice, since the paint is inside, but I've never seen silver-lined 13/0 cuts. Are there such things?

Comment

I have used proceline spray used on ceramics it locks the color in an will not distort it .
            I love your work wish I had the eye for applique.. Such beautifullllllllllll work.
            Better known an loved as Men~Nie Turtles !
            Life is what you make it. Becareful what you give . You just might get it back!

Comment

Project

that is beautiful ! Did you draw that yourself an bead or is it a pattern you found. I can not draw an would love to do some of that fancy purrty stuff. Beautiful hope the beads stop flaking ...sigh so pretty.

Comment

Thank ya'll for your help.

Comment

quit using the metallics and go with a lined bead.. like if you are using gold or silver, make them silver lined or gold lined... Metallics don't just rub off, they fade really fast in sunlight. I quit using them 10 years ago because they simply don't last. Metallics are NOT permanent unless they are made of metal (and if you seen the price of real gold and silver seed beads.....).
                  Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

MenNie: Thank you. I did the drawings, admittedly, based various photos.

Now if you wanted to do something realistic and couldn't draw it, you could borrow a trick from the graphics/animation world -- rotoscoping. Take a pic, Xerox or scan the pic and use tracing paper. The trick then will be selecting only those details necessary to convey the image in a more limited resolution and a restricted color pallete.

The procelain spray... That's the stuff from Duncan used to stablize the the no-fire colors on painted bisque? If so, I can pick some up when I get clay this weekend.

Blackbear: Do you know where I can get silver lined 13/o cuts? I found some Miyuki 15/0's which are silver lined... Those cream beads I used on the dress are Miyuki's, but they have a really huge hole and are so dang-gummed ($18.50/3oz) expensive that the Au and Pd plated are cheaper.

I'd just omit the gold and silver all together but the jingle dancer is gonna look mighty odd without her jingles:)

Comment

Spray

yes that is the spray . I like the procelin because it wont destort the colors.
                      Oh just like doing cloth appliq . I think I can do that . Thanks loads your work is just wonderful . All of the ppl here have given me new wanna bead fever.

Comment

13 cuts..I know they make some of the colors silverlined cause where I used to work I just noticed they have a silverlined teal.. at least it looked like a silver lined teal... I dont do alot of shopping for beads on the web though..I would just have to suggest checking all the bead selling sights online out...
                        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

13 cuts

www.shipwreckbeads.com has 13 cuts from 2.50 a hank up to $5.50 here again price is lower the more you order.
                          Last edited by WolfTears; 07-24-2003, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I hate to say it that even the silver-lined beads are not a perfect solution as they will darken with age. The clear/silver-lined bead which looks silver when new will darken to a gray color after only a year or two. This is due to the oxidation of the lining material and I don't know of any process which will stop it.

I thought galvanized metal beads were supposed to be more durable. But I've never used them so I don't know. Can any one share their experiences?

Comment

First off ... Love the design!! Are you doing a whole series... would love to see the rest of em if you are.

I have used the lined beads. Had one that was a really pretty clear/lined with a sky blue. Used them on a back barrette. Went to do a show/sale function and as it set out on the table (under an awning) they faded out within an hour! :Cry So much for that $75. :(

I have used the metal ones and coated them with a fingernail strengthner. Is not as thick as fingernail polish and coats better I think. Lasted for me so far. Yeah.. the color coated glass ones suck... don't know any other way around it.
                              "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X