Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WolfTears
    replied
    :D Absolutellllllyyyyy beautiful as always OlChemist , makes me feel so small in the world of beading right now ..sigh ..lol but at least I can bead ............. so no more pitty party lets bead ......

Leave a comment:

• spottedeagle
    replied
    That's gonna be one [email protected] purse!!!! Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all done!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Thanks for your help folks!

I tried the Duncan spray. I need to work on my application technique. I have a string tied around my wrist, we'll see how it holds up over the next few days. Even if it doesn't help with this, we're going to have fun with this compound in the lab, LOL.

If this doesn't work I'll go for the real Au plated. I've blown an enormous amount of my time (and yours) with this problem. I'll just give Empyrean or Land of Odds the obscence quality of money needed to buy those. I have to order more of the cream colored Miyukis anyway; so what's a little more pain in pursuit of art, LOL.

Matowinyan:

I have sketches for nine of the fourteen figures I will ultimately need. The purse will have northern buckskin, northern men's trad., and a jingle dancer. I have layouts for 3 men's trad, a straight , 2 northern buckskin, a shawl, a jingle, northern cloth dancers. I can't get the kids right or the grass dancer. The fringe on the grass outfit looks like a mass of a solid color from a distance. And I've never been able to get the proportions on kids bodies right, I have the wrong head to body ratio going this time...

Heres how one of the male figures looks:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Mato Winyan
    replied
    But as I said..no metallic is permanent unless it's actually made of metal
    I had metallics that were made of metal (hexes) and the colored ones, the color came off. I had to coat those too. Used them in a dang headband of all things. Good thing the daughter has more than one set of dance clothes. (outfit-dress-regalia-costume-rig-etc and etc :taunting: ) ;)

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear
    replied
    OL... I thought of something else as well... as long as you are daring enough to mix bead types... but most delica beads don't lose thier color right away either... But as I said..no metallic is permanent unless it's actually made of metal.

Leave a comment:

• Mato Winyan
    replied
    First off ... Love the design!! Are you doing a whole series... would love to see the rest of em if you are.

I have used the lined beads. Had one that was a really pretty clear/lined with a sky blue. Used them on a back barrette. Went to do a show/sale function and as it set out on the table (under an awning) they faded out within an hour! :Cry So much for that $75. :(

I have used the metal ones and coated them with a fingernail strengthner. Is not as thick as fingernail polish and coats better I think. Lasted for me so far. Yeah.. the color coated glass ones suck... don't know any other way around it.

Leave a comment:

• Czechy
    replied
    I hate to say it that even the silver-lined beads are not a perfect solution as they will darken with age. The clear/silver-lined bead which looks silver when new will darken to a gray color after only a year or two. This is due to the oxidation of the lining material and I don't know of any process which will stop it.

I thought galvanized metal beads were supposed to be more durable. But I've never used them so I don't know. Can any one share their experiences?

Leave a comment:

• WolfTears
    replied
    13 cuts

www.shipwreckbeads.com has 13 cuts from 2.50 a hank up to $5.50 here again price is lower the more you order.
    Last edited by WolfTears; 07-24-2003, 10:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear
    replied
    13 cuts..I know they make some of the colors silverlined cause where I used to work I just noticed they have a silverlined teal.. at least it looked like a silver lined teal... I dont do alot of shopping for beads on the web though..I would just have to suggest checking all the bead selling sights online out...

Leave a comment:

• WolfTears
    replied
    Spray

yes that is the spray . I like the procelin because it wont destort the colors.
    Oh just like doing cloth appliq . I think I can do that . Thanks loads your work is just wonderful . All of the ppl here have given me new wanna bead fever.

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    MenNie: Thank you. I did the drawings, admittedly, based various photos.

Now if you wanted to do something realistic and couldn't draw it, you could borrow a trick from the graphics/animation world -- rotoscoping. Take a pic, Xerox or scan the pic and use tracing paper. The trick then will be selecting only those details necessary to convey the image in a more limited resolution and a restricted color pallete.

The procelain spray... That's the stuff from Duncan used to stablize the the no-fire colors on painted bisque? If so, I can pick some up when I get clay this weekend.

Blackbear: Do you know where I can get silver lined 13/o cuts? I found some Miyuki 15/0's which are silver lined... Those cream beads I used on the dress are Miyuki's, but they have a really huge hole and are so dang-gummed ($18.50/3oz) expensive that the Au and Pd plated are cheaper.

I'd just omit the gold and silver all together but the jingle dancer is gonna look mighty odd without her jingles:)

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear
    replied
    quit using the metallics and go with a lined bead.. like if you are using gold or silver, make them silver lined or gold lined... Metallics don't just rub off, they fade really fast in sunlight. I quit using them 10 years ago because they simply don't last. Metallics are NOT permanent unless they are made of metal (and if you seen the price of real gold and silver seed beads.....).

Leave a comment:

• OLChemist
    replied
    Thank ya'll for your help.

Leave a comment:

• WolfTears
    replied
    Project

that is beautiful ! Did you draw that yourself an bead or is it a pattern you found. I can not draw an would love to do some of that fancy purrty stuff. Beautiful hope the beads stop flaking ...sigh so pretty.

Leave a comment:

• WolfTears
    replied
    I have used proceline spray used on ceramics it locks the color in an will not distort it .
    I love your work wish I had the eye for applique.. Such beautifullllllllllll work.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.