Question on Bugle beads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Bugle beads

What is the best type of thread or what ever to bead with them? I don't want them to fall off, but yet I want to maybe place them on my buckskin dress. Maybe? I don't know.

Any thoughts??????????????
    I didn't do it, honestly. I have burned all the proof.

hmmm... Silamide maybe? bugles are notorious for cutting the thread, silamide seems pretty slick in texture and is good for sewing through skins and leather.. might be able to avoid the cutting friction with that smooth a thread.... but Nymo seems stronger... why not use a NYmo size D thread for it...less they bugle moves on an outfit the better and D is pretty thick.. or F maybe
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

thread

Kevlar thread would be my choice. Its what they use to sew bulletproof vests. Comes in sizes A through O. It frays a bit so needs waxing or Thread Heaven but is extremely strong, good for those sharp-edged bugle beads. You do need to use a surgeon's knot as regular knots won't work. You can get this stuff from a bead shop or online at www.beadcats.com.

Comment

Watch out for the silver lined bugle beads. If they get moisture in them, they tarnish and look pretty terrible.
        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Oh wow, just one of the colors I was looking at too!
          I was going to use Silver lined, yellow (bright canary), orange, red, grassy green, cobalt blue and purple (typical purple)

I will definately watch out for getting them wet!
          Thank you so much!!!!

Comment

OHHH MISS TLINGET... You have to see the new purple bugles that black elk got in... and they are OPAQUE and don't rub off!!! I'll scan them later tonight and post it here...You are NOT going to believe these colors!!!!!
            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Even without moisture, the silver-lined beads will tarnish or darken over time. Its oxidation, a chemical reaction with the air. Can't really avoid it. What I do is remove the silver lining by soaking the beads in a bleach/water solution. You'll end up with transparent, softer colors but I like the results better than the tarnish.

Comment

Thanks Czechy!!!! I will try that out. I have the silver lined bugle beads. I don't want them to tarnish and look horrible especailly if I work to darn hard on putting them on my buckskin!

Bear~did you ever get a chance to scan those beads??? I am curious now.

Comment

did it this morning... sooooooooooo sorry I got really busy here recently and have'nt had time to do much. And then I got dragged out to the valley so that the hubby could help his redneck friends dig postholes for a new barn..but that's cool cause I got to play with the horses... anyhow here is the pic..I left it on the side with the tag so that you could have the phone number, the Millimeter size, color number (right hand corner) and the price.
                  Attached Files

Comment

and yes...those are actually the colors of the bugle beads!!!

Comment

I was at a bead shop last weekend, looking for bright pinks and purple seed beads (that wont rub off)... A couple weeks before I'd started a project with bright pink beads I had, and suddenly realized that I was putting on mostly clear beads and my fingertips were pink... so I had to take all that apart and switch to using this shiny ruby colored bead I had (that didnt rub off, but wasnt the shade I'd wanted)

the lady at the bead store said that *all the bright pinks and purples were actually dyed or lined, that it was impossible due to the chemicals in glass for those colors, to get a bright color :Cry That the best I could hope for was a more dusty looking pink or purple, which I already have... like the cheyenne pink.

Is this true?

Tara

Comment

you can get a nice rose shade of pink that is permanent. It's fired a little bit differently than they do to make red. You get red by infusing the glass with gold. It's a nice transparent color but definitely a goregeous shade of rose. It's also usually a tad more expensive than other colors. As for a semi permanent pink or purple, the silver lined, the AB coated and the pearlized will last much longer than any other. Tara, if you are wanting a hot pink transp. that will not rub off easy, I can get you some. I bought some myself and so far so good....but they are not permanent.

Comment

Bear,

Last weekend I actually ended up getting this transparent rose color, they are a bit lighter (sparklier) than the scan came out. These were the only pink the lady had that she said was permanent.

I dont use pink very much, and it only occured to me that the other opaque ones I had were very 'dusty' looking when I was trying to make a necklace for a friend who'd given me bright purple bugle beads, and I needed some pink spacers (her outfit is pink). So 'dusty' the appearance, when I put the opaque pink color next to the purple, my guy said 'Ewwwww... it looks like someone puked on it!' -- it definately clashed

Tara

Comment

Yeah, I like the rose pink French beads. Its a little brighter than the Chey pink. Yes, its true, all the bright pinks and purples are dyed as opposed to actually mixing the pigments into the molten glass like in the Chey pink and dusty purple. But as Blackbear said, some of the coatings and finishes can make the colors last longer. Also, keep your beadwork out of the sun as much as possible as this will also cause severe fading.

Comment

also don't let people finger all over it or sweat all over it...LOL

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X