• Show
Clear All

• flat stitch

How does flat stitch rate with you?

------------------

--

[This message has been edited by Black Forest (edited February 05, 2001).]

Comment

Sorry.....never heard of "flat stitch" I agreed that there are too many names for all the different techniques. The major problem in this country is that names seem to be assigned almost regionally or how you were raised into the culture. Old habits are hard to break!!!!
      D.Dean

Comment

I think what you are calling "flat stitch" is what we call flat work. This is just what the name implies, bead work with a flat appearance. We do this kind of work using two threads. One thread to string the beads on and the other to sew or tack them down. I tack down every two beads with most geometric patterns and every one bead with floral. I do this work quite a bit. Crows don't do too much lazy stitch. Yes, I said lazy stitch and I'm not implying that anyone who uses this stitch is lazy, that's just the term I grew up using.

Comment

--

Comment

Here in the Pac NW most of the tribes do the Plateau-style beadwork, which is I guess what you are referring to as "flat stitch." I've never heard the term "lane stitch," as everyone calls that style "lazy stitch" because what the elders have told me is that you're lazy to do it because you're sewing more than one bead at a time...not to offend anyone though!

Comment

The first time I heard someone use that term I had to ask what it was too. I was told that the beads are tacked down individually. I was wondering if folks who are familiar with this stitch prefer it over lazy stitch (which is what I call it) for mocs and such. Is the beadwork more durable?
              Thanks.

Comment

It is not a matter of what you prefer, it is a matter of what you are beading and is it traditional done in what style stitch. I personally like doing two needle applique simply because of the way you can create pictures with this style of work.
                D.Dean.

Comment

--

Comment

Who came up with that "Lazy stitch"word anyway?
                    I suspect a white man ,scholar from the turn of the century.And there it went into use as so many myths and misinformations that people gobble without questions.
                    Just like the words "pony bead" or "Santee style".
                    "Lane stitch" has my vote.There is nothing lazy about doing that technic.
                    Hate is for FOOLS!And fools like m&ms come in all colors

I am ready to tell you my secret now,I see dumb people,.I see them everywhere.They dont know they're dumb,they only see what they want to see.That weird feeling which make the hair on your neck stand up....thats them!

Comment

--

Comment

I also support the term "lane stitch".
                        But also heard the use of "lazy stitch" when I lived out in the North West US.
                        It is all a matter of where you use the work, just be prepared to know what all the meanings relate too.

Tipis

Comment

I'm just saying...I use the term lazy stitch and don't find it offensive. I've never heard an Indian beadworker use "lane stitch" because nobody would know what you're talking about. I've never heard of Orchard and I'm sure that the grandmas at Yakama and Warm Springs don't read beadwork books, so I can't imagine they got the term lazy stitch from that. It's just what they say - that you're lazy if you do it. They will tell you that to your face, and not mean to be offensive about it.

ANYWAY...I do all styles of beadwork and yes it depends on what you are beading and what tribal style you are following.

Comment

To those of you who have replied to my question, thanks.

[This message has been edited by Indian Instigator (edited February 02, 2001).]

Comment

Hi,
                              I am interested in your work, could you post a picture of some of your work so we can all enjoy it? Thanks!

REgards,
                              Steve

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X