Tipi doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipi doors

I noticed that a lot of old tipis have no big opening for door,merely a slat that you have go through.Any comment on the advantage/disadvantages of such doors?

------------------
    Hate is for FOOLS!And fools like m&ms come in all colors

I am ready to tell you my secret now,I see dumb people,.I see them everywhere.They dont know they're dumb,they only see what they want to see.That weird feeling which make the hair on your neck stand up....thats them!

You old dog, how about the advantage of a small door to keep the weather out. Even in Fla. we have to keep the rain from coming inside.

Tipis

Comment

Thats exactly what i think,but then ,why do they make these big gap of a door nowadays?
      Is this to better accomodate modern male dancers?lol[Some of them ,to quote an announcer look like meadowlarks:big long beaks ,big chest,and little tiny legs!]

I am ready to tell you my secret now,I see dumb people,.I see them everywhere.They dont know they're dumb,they only see what they want to see.That weird feeling which make the hair on your neck stand up....thats them!

Comment

Actually, you are right. In the past I was asked to make tipis with what I would call larger than normal doors to accomidate the larger person and thier clothing. Most tipis today are not made for daily living.

Tipis

Comment

I was under the impression the round door is lakota, and the slit door is cheyenne style. ? All the lodges in our camp are sioux with the large round door.
          Listen to the children

Comment

Nope,i think that it is just a modern way.It makes it easier to go in and out,but has little value if you actually live in the tipi.On old pictures ,the door is merely a slit door.When they need it big ,they just fold the cover on the 2 "door poles".

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.