X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WaxeNuZhinga
    replied
    ogapahndn:

I poked around a bit and found this short tutorial on brick stitch.
    It's not exactly how I do it but it's pretty close.

http://beadwork.about.com/library/we...=seahorse+love

Let me know if it helps at all.

WNZ

Leave a comment:

• Tess Lone Elk
    replied
    Thanks Webbie...didn't realize how many diff. ways to peyote stitch there are!!

Will check it out now:3:

Leave a comment:

• ogapahndn
    replied
    Anyone have a good site for teaching brickwork? (not peyote stitch, that's been covered) I have a friend who wants to learn, but lives a good distance away so it's hard for me to show him. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Paul G
    replied
    Thanks for that link, but keep in mind that one shows 2 drop style.

Here is a good one:

http://www.north-wilkesboro.com/nativeamerican/gs.htm

Leave a comment:

• Tess Lone Elk
    replied
    For those of us who need a more "visual" touch, please check out this web site:
    http://www.angelfire.com/co2/beltana/peyote.html

It help me "see" the stitch and to get a better idea.
    TESS

Leave a comment:

• OA Drummer2
    replied
    thanks

Thanks for the info

Leave a comment:

• Little One~
    replied
    Oh! I wonder how long ago that brow band was made. No culling of beads there!

Leave a comment:

• WaxeNuZhinga
    replied
    OAD,

Flat gourd stitch is a technique used to decorate things that aren't round. Basically, you'd start it the same way as you were describing, tacking the first row down and then start beading, tacking the beads down along the way. I am attaching a picture of a Kiowa browband that I found on the 'net sometime back as an example.

There are lots of uses for this type of beadwork. I've seen it used instead of lazy stitch, on the lanes of Comanche mocassins. I have been experimenting with doing rosettes this way after seeing some that others have done. A couple of those are in the gallery.

Anyway, I hope this answers your question.

WNZ

<Edited because I can't write OR spell>
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WaxeNuZhinga; 02-07-2002, 05:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OA Drummer2
    replied
    Flat brickstitch!??!?

Greetings to All,

This is my very first post, so please bear with me. I just wanted to say that absolutely LOVE to do Peyote Stitch Beadwork. It is quick, easy, and highly portable. A tip that I use to keep my first row on nice and taught is to tack it down before starting on the second row. I also usually rap my projects in leather, and attach the beadwork to the leather. That way, as you tighten the rows, the beads make little grooves in the leather, and they don't shift around nearly as much. I have just one question, however: what is the Flat Version? I have never heard of such a thing. If any of you can give me info on this type, I would be highly appreciative. Thanks for letting me run my fingers!:p

-K

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear
    replied
    Hey Wax!! Thanks for sharing that!! I looked it over and it is nice and easy to follow and very very very well done!!

Leave a comment:

• WaxeNuZhinga
    replied
    Gourd Stitch Website

Hi Folks,

I thought I would chime in here. I do a fair amount of gourd stitch. I put together a website a while back for people to learn how. You can get to it here.

http://www.forestry.umt.edu/ntsg/personnel/mattj/gs.htm

Click the link to Beginner's Gourd Stitch and check it out.

This techinique is more geared towards 'three drop' gourd stitch (The quotes were just for you MrRuminator).

After you check the site out, I would be happy to answer any questions.

Good Luck

WNZ

Leave a comment:

• powwowbum49
    replied
    ????

SHand

I am not sure what you are doing wrong that your pattern bumps into itself, but I have done many pieces that had an odd number of beads to a row. I assume the 15 you mention is the one-third # that I mentioned earlier. It is divisible by 1,3,5 & 15. Now as you said you start a design that is working every third bead. So here is the row you would put on. (I will use your description to show you what I mean, P will stand for beads used in the pattern and B for background beads and the # will be for the actual beads in the row.) 1-P, 2-B, 3-B, 4-P, 5-B, 6-B, 7-P, 8-B, 9-B, 10-P, 11-B, 12-B, 13-P, 14-B, 15-B at this point you are back to the #1 bead and ready to drop down a row. Now, as you can see, once you have that row on all of the pattern beads are evenly spaced and pattern beads do not bunch up in one area. As I said I have no clue what you are doing that would cause that to happen to you but you are really going through a lot of extra hassle to get to a number that's divisible by 6 that you do not need to do. I will say that I try to avoid prime number as a total for a row because then you have only 1 as a design number and that is kinda limiting, but outside of that having a row total divisible by 3 has never failed to work correctly for me in the last 25 years.

This is also why I use an even number on the two bead drop. An even number always has an even spacing between designs that are based on more than 1. When an odd number is used then the design can bump into itself and not be spaced even in one area of the design.

Oh, by the way...aho beaded pony

Hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear
    replied
    Check the links page or the thread on wholesalers and suppliers for where to get stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Moonphasefull
    replied
    New Beader needs SUPPLIES!!

:D
    Aho!
    Folks I am just happy to know that I am not the only new beader out there!
    My Grandmother is a craftswoman. She supported her family by making clothes and dolls for years and years.
    And, although she has passed on to the Spirit side, I know she is proud that I am continuing to create with my hand, ...sewing , beading etc.
    I plan to carry on the tradition. But, I need help and have many questions...First and most important: I need to know where to get good supplies for Beading! I don't do this as a hobby, this is my People's craft and I am a first generation beader, 3rd generation crafter....Help!
    thanks

Leave a comment:

• ingrambead
    replied
    I have been beading for a long time but peyote is something I do not do on a regular basis. The Full Corcle Video really does help. I bought the tape so I can get a jump start everytimg I need to use this stitch, usually when I get an order for a peyote stitch item. Some places rent the tape or maybe your library has a copy. It sure has helped me a lot when I had no one to turn to for instructions. Its nice to have the visual.

Sally

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X