Colors???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colors???

I have a question that has been nagging at me for quite some time now: do different regions/ nations have different predominant colors for beadwork? I have heard rumors to this effect, but am unsure as to who is feeding me a bunch of bull and who is telling me the truth. I figured I would go to a knowledgeable source, so here I am.:dontknow: If you can help me, I would really appreciate it.

-K
    "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning, 1855

The short answer to your question is Kinda-sort of.
    If you are trying to do old-style beadwork, then yes there are some tribes that preferred certain colors and color combinations. Other groups had no real preference and used whatever colors they had. If you are wanting to create something that is truly contemporary, then there are no rules.

Additionally, design elements are just as important as color in determining a general tribal style in beadwork.

Comment

Thank you!

Thanks for your response! I am going for something truly contemporary, but I am wondering if there are rules concerning designs; ie are there specific types of designs that are generally adhered to, are there certain things you avoid, etc. Is there a sort of directory that could help me out with this sort of thing?

-K
      "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning, 1855

Comment

All I have to add to this is if you want to see some references on who is doing what and from where...go to the library and look at all the native american arts and regalia books they have got on the subject or look at all the photos in the gallery and on the web and make note of what nation they are from. That is the only idea I have .
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Yes,research is a good thing..........important also.

Comment

research

Try North American Indian Jewelry and Adornment. There are two by Colin(spelling) Taylor. Both are excellent references.

Comment

Muchas gracias

Muchas gracias todos los senors y senoras. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-K

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X