No announcement yet.

Costume Referred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, I have always called them my dance clothes, outfit, or rig.

Lucky Straight Dancers......they could just say "My Tux!" and get away with it eh'

:Jumping:
    ~~"Before I judge a man, I walk a mile in his moccasins. Then if I don't like him, I'm a mile away from him, and I still have his moccisins... R. LeVesque."~~

Comment

Originally posted by Singingelk49
      "My Tux!" :Jumping:
      that ones good :Chatter lol
      If the horse is dead, dismount.

Comment

We just call them dance outfits. I agree with the others costumes are for those pretending to be something they are not...kinda like at Halloween.
        Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Comment

costumes

I used to be offended when my $2000+ buckskin dress was called my costume. Then I realized that most people didn't mean to offend me and were usually at a loss themselves as to what to call my outfit. I now tell them to call it what it is. My buckskin dress. Just as I would call their tux a tuxedo. The ones that want to show off in front of their friends and make comments about my costume I let them say all they want while I am walking away. Those that show respect and simply ask about the dress, I try to be helpful. It does get old, but people need to learn and there aren't enough college classes (high school) for that matter to teach the great masses of people who like to learn but have no place to learn.
          Too many of the books I run across in the bookstores are written by non-Indians enthralled by the native culture they are trying to adopt. I guess I would give them more respect, but I've seen too many people highlighted in these books that are merely wannabees who struck it rich. One guy I saw recently had a full page spread on him. Several years ago, he was boy scout, then eagle scout. He would take his replicated "Indian village" around to the different "powwows". Suddenly, he came across some Indian blood hithertofore unknown to him and "BAM", he's Indian. Now he drags around his little "Authentic" encampment from place to place showing how his elders lived. The last time I saw him, he had an Aisan wife and their young child properly dressed in the appropriate clothing of some obscure and federally unrecognized tribe. But by the time he made the book, he was from a federally recognized tribe.
          I wish I could change like that. My elders would be wealthy and in good health, leaving all us grandkids a hefty stipend every month. Thanks for the rant time.:D
          E

Comment

Please do not be offended or get mad

Most of the time when someone calls your regalia/outfit a "costume" it is because they don't know what to call it! How do I know this? Until just a few years ago, that is all I knew to call it! Until I was invited to a Pow Wow I was under the impression that if you were not personally invited to a Pow Wow you had no right to show up! No one ever told me they were open to the public! No one ever taught me about regalia, until I said something or asked! If you snarl at someone and walk away with your nose in the air, what does that teach a person? We are all teachers, as much as we are also students!
            Now when someone comes to me to admire my costume, I gently explain that it is regalia, and take the time to answer questions! I remember the gentle teachers that gave me the same time, and taught me to use and follow my heart, or I may still be sitting on the bench moving my feet to the beat of the drum.
            Your Heart Shows by how Your Words and Actions Affect Others.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Comment

Tanting

to Ehosah,

The person you descibed in your post sounds as if his heart has been "Indian" long before he discovered his blood was! I'm so glad you are an enrolled and recognized Native.
              Yess I'm a Wannabe and proud of it!!!!!! I have considered and known I was Cherokee since I was little, I have always considered my self Native, much to the Charinge of my parents, who now that I finally found the proof I've searched for for years say good now we can get some money! Well I seem to have accidently lost that proof ...... I'm not Native for the money! I can't afford $2000 for regalia! Why do I "dress up"? For the fun of it!! For the commraderie of it! Because it seems to be the only time I am accepted by my peers to be who I have always been!
              I do not have blue eyes and pale skin, I know I am not white! My mother informed my she gave birth to white children, I told her I have NEVER been white, so I guess I'm not her daughter ... she has since changed her mind and heart, and learned to accept me for myself.
              I only hope you learn to accept people on the judgment of their heart, and not the pocket, or the "CARD"
              Cards do not make the person so much as your words and actions, you do not sound like a person who I wish to learn from, or wish to teach my daughter anything! I have been invited for many years to talk at Girl Scoup groups to discuss what I know about Native Americans, the different styles and tribes, I do not have a "College Degree" nor do I pass myself off as anything except a Girl Scout Leader who happens to be knowledgable in some things and can help where I can!
              Your Heart Shows by how Your Words and Actions Affect Others.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Comment

Growing up in Maryland and not being told about our plains Indian heritage, my father and brother both earned Eagle scout awards. My sister and I were girlscouts. My father a scout master, but we didn't know of our native heritage until we were told....I was 20. We spent more time outside than anywhere and felt something just wasn't quite right about the way we were raised.
                Well, to make a very LONG story short, I'm working to mend the chains that were broken and hopefully, my child will take what we learn to heart and pass it down.

Strange thing...the Kiowa/Cheyenne family that took us in down in Anadarko didn't have a problem with anything we asked them and was very happy to share.

(but they've never been to this board)
                Instead of telling God how big your storm is, tell your storm how big your God is!

Comment

Let's not stray too far off Topic please!
                  PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

I simply call it "outfit" or "dance outfit"......
                    :D :Chatter :Chatter :D
                    Join my FB page:
                    https://www.facebook.com/#!/NatamBeadwork

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!

Comment

WHEN I WAS YOUNG AND WAS DANCING AND PEOPLE USE TO REMARK ON MY OUTFIT A S A COSTUME,I USE TO LOOK AT THEIR EXPESSION AND TONE OF THE VOICE.iF IT WAS A VOICE OF CURIOSITY,I WOULD SMILE AND TELL THEM THANK YOU OR ANSWER POLITELY AND ALWAYS WITH A SMILE ANSWER TO THEIR QUESTIONS.
                      BUT IF THEY REMARKED IN A SARCASTIC WAY I SIMPLY TOLD THEM THAT I REGARD MY COSTUME AS AN OUTFIT"AFTER ALL COSTUMES ARE FOR HALOWEEN"......
                      NOW I HEAR A NEW WORD "REGALIA"IM NOT TOO SURE HOW TO RESPOND TO THAT BUT I WILL STICK TO OUTFIT FOR NOW.
                      smilies are on meundefined

Comment

when i'm all decked in my indian clothes people come up and touch me and my clothes and say oh u have a beautiful costume. At first I was offended but now I don't really care cuz i agree w/has been said before. the spectators and outsiders don't understand or know what to call it.

I'll politely say oh my Indian clothes? thanks. :) and cheese cuz they are trying to take a pic next.
                        The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

My 2 cents:Costume is a french word which means 90% of the time"ceremonial attire".People wear wedding costumes,dance costume[dance as in ball]church costume[when going to church]
                          When you say costume in french,you mean Tux.So there is nothing demeaning or insulting about the word.......Unless of course you choose to go powwow and grass dance wearing a tuxedo

:D
                          Hate is for FOOLS!And fools like m&ms come in all colors

I am ready to tell you my secret now,I see dumb people,.I see them everywhere.They dont know they're dumb,they only see what they want to see.That weird feeling which make the hair on your neck stand up....thats them!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X