Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

women judging a singing contest

I guess it depends where you are from. around where I come from women
    should not do this because our culture says its a mans place. I believe that we still must have respect for this since i see no women judging yet. I am not saying its wrong or anything like that. I just think we should have respect for our old ones who kept our culture alive. And we should not change tradition,
    this is what makes us native.
    "peace"

Comment

I dont have a problem with the older women judging singing contests, its just the younger ladies who are immature and impartial. Thats who I'm saying shouldnt judge singing contests. But as for the older women, I have no problem with it. Just keep it real. :Angel2

Comment

I really hate to take sides on an issue that has valid points on both sides. But, since it is an opinion: I don't think women should judge drums. I am not saying women don't hear as well,or are not able to make sound judgements,or are man-crazy (that was pretty low). It is just as "man to man" said, it was not originally done, and the rights of the drum are basically for the men. Women accentuate by their backup singing, which is even more evidence of how things work together when everyone takes their designated spot. This is an honor too, to be a women singer. At home, only designated women are allowed to sit at a closed drum. Maybe my opinion seems old fashioned, but that is how I feel about this issue. My husband is a singer, and truthfully, he prefers men judging. Especially other singers who know what they are looking for.

Comment

women judges? Naw
          I'm only here to provoke a reaction because I can!

Comment

The world would be different if everyone thought the same

:D

Thank you people for the good laugh

go on

go on
            Believe in who you are!

Be Proud!

Stay connected!

Comment

re: women judges

always one in the crowd

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• ndneyez
                Women Head Drum Judges
                by ndneyez
                We're planning for our annual pow-wow this summer. We're doing all of the typical duties a pow-wow committee does. As I was thinking about head staff.....M.C.'s, Head Dance Judges, Arena Directors....etc. a thought crossed my mind. While I was thinking about a Head Drum Judge, I wondered....Why isn't...
                01-25-2006, 12:53 PM
              • AmigoKumeyaay
                MANATAKA: Women On Drum?
                by AmigoKumeyaay
                WOMEN CANNOT TOUCH MY DRUM!!

"WOMEN CANNOT TOUCH MY DRUM!!"

While preparing for the upcoming 2011 Manataka Powwow, a question arose when one drummer objected to the fact that Manataka has a drum circle where women play the drum.

"I will
                04-05-2016, 05:33 PM
              • WhoMe
                All Women Drum Groups
                by WhoMe
                Do you support women who form All Women Drum Groups?

:Thumbs YES:
                Women have always used different types of drums in their women's ceremonies. Powwow is a contemporary expression of Indian culture so all women drum groups should be allowed. Women are able to sing just...
                Yes. I support women who sing at the drum
                47.14%
                No. I do not support women who sing at the drum
                52.86%
                05-12-2004, 05:55 PM
              • stickybunsbuffalobal
                Gathering of Nations Head Drum Judges
                by stickybunsbuffalobal
                Well just to let all you singers know this year at Gathering of Nations there will be women appointed to hold the position of Head Drum Judge.

Southern: Sunny Rose YellowMule
                Northern: Delia Waskewitch (excuse my spelling)

Anyways the point of this is that I think...
                08-28-2002, 06:57 PM
              • charmin
                Drum
                by charmin
                I have been told so many things about the drum and i think it might be just what a person like but do ya'll think women sould be able to drum or even be around the drum?
                Charmin
                01-07-2004, 06:56 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X