ojibwe drum stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ojibwe drum stick

Does anyone know someone who knows how to make an ojibwe-style drum stick? It's the kind that look like a lacross stick, with a hoop at the end with webbing inside the hoop?

I am not sure what kind of wood is best seeing as I have never made or used one, but I would imagine you take the stick and soak it in water until the end of the stick is pliable (Usually takes a while) and then bend it to shape. Once it is bent into shape I think you tie it in the final position you want with string or sinew (if you wanna be real traditional) and then decorate as instructed or as you wish. Hope this helps you out.

Comment

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. Maybe willow, or vine maple - and soak it immediately after cutting it, when it's still green, and then wrap it around something round and tie it until it's dry...

Comment

I know this one elder from the lake of the woods area in northwestern ontario. He only makes the drumsticks for ceremonial purposes not for the fun of it. I'm not sure how he makes it but I think he dips the point in hot water for a bit then he bends the end into a loop and lets it sit for a day or two. I dont know myself. OH well.

Comment

I was wondering about that - I thought maybe it would work better too if you steamed it for awhile, and then formed the hoop and let it dry. I've seen people make the bentwood cedar boxes that way...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X